You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Optimum Dym Strategy??

edited July 2014 in Sit & Go Strategy
I play quite alot of dym's on Sky, we all know there is no one specific way to play poker as players have different styles. I treat Dym's in the same way i would treat a a satelite, its all about survival, not winning just making that top 3 to cash. In cash poker yes we can get creative and play lots of different type's of hands but in Dym's i like to keep it tite. I see so many players in Dym's either limping in every hand or min raising from the get go, personally i think this strategy has it's pro's & con's. Your either going to build a nice stack which will probably see you through to cashing or your going to be losing alot of chips very quickly.
I prefer the keep it tite startegy and at the business end knowing when to shove and when to fold.
I would like to improve on my Dym's so would like to know what you all think?

Comments

• edited May 2014
    What sort of record have you got in DYM's with this strategy? EG on average, how many times are you cashing, say EG you play 10 games, how many times are you successful?

Wouldnt you find the impact of the blinds begin to take it's toll on your stack once it begins to reach like 200 chips with the BB adopting a persistant fold strategy? I play alot of turbo DYM's and can find that sometimes that a single session can go by without me seeing one of the premium starting pair hands from TT's upwards to AA's..then it become's very difficult to build up yr stack.

The other flip-side is that recently I've also gotten myself into alot of betting wars of late with those kind of premium hands, only to find eventually all chips in the middle and my hand which should be successful ends up being outdrawn.

Guess I'm being too passive when I see these kinds of hands being dealt.

So EG what sort of bet pre-flop would you consider putting in, say in a standard DYM's with the blinds at around 100/200 and a stack behind you of say EG 1500?
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Optimum Dym Strategy??:
    I play quite alot of dym's on Sky, we all know there is no one specific way to play poker as players have different styles. I treat Dym's in the same way i would treat a a satelite, its all about survival, not winning just making that top 3 to cash. In cash poker yes we can get creative and play lots of different type's of hands but in Dym's i like to keep it tite. I see so many players in Dym's either limping in every hand or min raising from the get go, personally i think this strategy has it's pro's & con's. Your either going to build a nice stack which will probably see you through to cashing or your going to be losing alot of chips very quickly. I prefer the keep it tite startegy and at the business end knowing when to shove and when to fold. I would like to improve on my Dym's so would like to know what you all think?
    Posted by MrCoxy
    Unlucky in that DYM, I have also realised, sitty pretty for a while is the best way too, after playing a lot of these, TIGHT IS RIGHT!
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Optimum Dym Strategy??:
    What sort of record have you got in DYM's with this strategy? EG on average, how many times are you cashing, say EG you play 10 games, how many times are you successful? Wouldnt you find the impact of the blinds begin to take it's toll on your stack once it begins to reach like 200 chips with the BB adopting a persistant fold strategy? I play alot of turbo DYM's and can find that sometimes that a single session can go by without me seeing one of the premium starting pair hands from TT's upwards to AA's..then it become's very difficult to build up yr stack. The other flip-side is that recently I've also gotten myself into alot of betting wars of late with those kind of premium hands, only to find eventually all chips in the middle and my hand which should be successful ends up being outdrawn. Guess I'm being too passive when I see these kinds of hands being dealt. So EG what sort of bet pre-flop would you consider putting in, say in a standard DYM's with the blinds at around 100/200 and a stack behind you of say EG 1500?
    Posted by GaryLaud
    If you 7bb and you have a premium hand you only have one move!! all in or fold!!! if your opponent has been ultra tite and shoves then u'll prob have to fold unless you have AA KK OR maybe Ak. once you get to say level 4 it can be about knowing when to shove and when to fold!! shoving on the button and taking down the blinds can be quite profitable, 9 times out of 10 your opponents will fold! shoving light is fine but never call light!!! 
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Optimum Dym Strategy?? : Unlucky in that DYM, I have also realised, sitty pretty for a while is the best way too, after playing a lot of these, TIGHT IS RIGHT!
    Posted by Laura_C
    Yeah my timing at the mo seems to be impeccably bad!!! lol. the ammount of times i shoved yesterday hoping to get two folds and take the blinds and got called by AA KK Etc was unreal!! lol
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Optimum Dym Strategy?? : Unlucky in that DYM, I have also realised, sitty pretty for a while is the best way too, after playing a lot of these, TIGHT IS RIGHT!
    Posted by Laura_C
    Spot on !! Tight is most definetly right
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Optimum Dym Strategy?? : Yeah my timing at the mo seems to be impeccably bad!!! lol. the ammount of times i shoved yesterday hoping to get two folds and take the blinds and got called by AA KK Etc was unreal!! lol
    Posted by MrCoxy
    Seems you're just having a bad run of it atm. Hope the tides change soon!
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Optimum Dym Strategy?? : Seems you're just having a bad run of it atm. Hope the tides change soon!
    Posted by Laura_C
    Well for all the bad luck/bad timing/bad play lol i managed eventually to come out of the day with a very small profit! i guess its just a cass of playing through it!!
  • edited June 2014
    Tight is right, you probably need the odd tweak here and there, but you have it all covered.
    be aggresive and selective on the bubble especially.
    avoid calling allins as much as possible, unless you have good notes on the player.
    go allin more yourself which will stop you getting into trouble against marginal hands.
    play as many tables as you can...comfortably, this will help to iron out variance.
    if you are on a bad run, drop down levels if you can, until your confidence returns.
    gl.
  • edited July 2014
    Tight is definitely right early, my tips:
    - Make notes on every player
    - Be the aggressor and not the caller as a general rule.
    - Play position and avoid opening early pos without super strong hands.
    - Range your opponents and amend your style accordingly.
    - On the lower stakes C-bet one opponent a lot if you think you ahead or have a decent draw (unless you have specific notes that they are sticky)
    - Never limp the small blind (amazing how many people do this and fold the flop to a min bet)
    - On the bubble avoid going to war with another big stack if there is a short stack on the table (again amazing number of players who do this).
    - On the bubble do not wait for aces but widen your range depending upon who you are shoving into. (hands like Q-J, J-10 are fine shoving hands unless you are up against a maniac calling any two).
    - When the regs raise low/mid-stakes it generally reflects they are strong, when a weaker player raises less so.
    - when you are a big stack don't feel you must bully especially when you are folding to a re-raise, remember you have equity but pick spots and always raise rather than limp.
  • edited July 2014
    I should probably also add that most people are now moving to a tighter early strategy, the amount of tables I see now with a full ring at 75/150 blinds is crazy and that is then reducing ROI for me when a year or so it was common to see at least one if not two players bust in the first few levels by over playing hands.
  • edited July 2014
    Tight is definitely right early, my tips: - Make notes on every player - Be the aggressor and not the caller as a general rule. - Play position and avoid opening early pos without super strong hands. - Range your opponents and amend your style accordingly. - On the lower stakes C-bet one opponent a lot if you think you ahead or have a decent draw (unless you have specific notes that they are sticky) - Never limp the small blind (amazing how many people do this and fold the flop to a min bet) - On the bubble avoid going to war with another big stack if there is a short stack on the table (again amazing number of players who do this). - On the bubble do not wait for aces but widen your range depending upon who you are shoving into. (hands like Q-J, J-10 are fine shoving hands unless you are up against a maniac calling any two). - When the regs raise low/mid-stakes it generally reflects they are strong, when a weaker player raises less so. - when you are a big stack don't feel you must bully especially when you are folding to a re-raise, remember you have equity but pick spots and always raise rather than limp.
    Posted by Mayhem357
    That is a really great post, imo.