You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Did I get a bit excited?

edited May 2014 in The Poker Clinic
Hi All,

Complete beginner here in the world of poker so please excuse me if this is such a silly question. Last night I entered my 1st ever tournament which was the £250 GTD Speed - I was placed 7th at the time & was dealt pocket 10s.

There was only 2 of us left on the table, he had double my stack (48k while I had 23k) and he called all in pre flop (he had been playing quite aggressive all evening). I called it and ended up losing to a pair of kings & was eliminated.

Should I have called the all in or folded? Or is it luck of the draw? I have tried to copy my hand history but it is coming up all over the shop.

How do you play pocket 10s? Would you have called?

I have only been playing about 2/3 weeks so if it is blatently obvious to you then ignore me! lol

cheers
Gavin

Comments

• edited May 2014
    What are the blinds?

Anyhow seems like nothing you could have done
  • edited May 2014
    Blinds were up 4000 / 8000 at the time. I didn't think I could have done anyting either, just kicked myself for going all in, but thats the way it goes......
  • edited May 2014

From what I can make out with the info, it would be a HUGE mistake not to get 10s all in pre in this scenario.

• edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Did I get a bit excited?:
    From what I can make out with the info, it would be a HUGE mistake not to get 10s all in pre in this scenario.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    +1 GG and unlucky.
  • edited May 2014
    Hi C

It's not so much about his ss v your ss thou ament equity is a factor. It's more important to know how many big blinds you have in your ss. This gives you a range of flexibility in weapons you can use against others. At this stage it could be 400/800 blinds so ai is not really the play then. If the blinds were 2000/4000 say then ai with six bb's as the smallest ss between the two of you is a perfect play as you've no room for maneuvere. Just read a couple of poker articles and you will get a feel for it easily. Gl m8
    PS sorry they had to go down...Ole forever eh?
  • edited May 2014
    Thanks all - i seem to be on a bit of a slump at the moment, having bombed out of my last 3 tournies by going all in. These have been with AA, AK & QQ - happy days lol.

Thanks for the reply Prof, sorry to sound stupid but what do you mean by ss? Still trying to get my head around some of the terminology on here. So basically the more big blinds i have the more i am able to gamble? 

Ha not to sure about Ole tbh mate - very nieve but we will see. He will either be gone by xmas or will storm the championship. Just need Tan gone, that is the man thing. The guy is a joke
  • edited May 2014
    Thanks all - i seem to be on a bit of a slump at the moment, having bombed out of my last 3 tournies by going all in. These have been with AA, AK & QQ - happy days lol. Thanks for the reply Prof, sorry to sound stupid but what do you mean by ss? Still trying to get my head around some of the terminology on here. So basically the more big blinds i have the more i am able to gamble?  Ha not to sure about Ole tbh mate - very nieve but we will see. He will either be gone by xmas or will storm the championship. Just need Tan gone, that is the man thing. The guy is a joke
    Posted by CardiffAce
    You don't sound stupid at all. I've never heard that before either and I've been playing a while. I assume the learned one means 'starting stack'

Played the hand fine, just unlucky;
  • edited May 2014
    Thanks all - i seem to be on a bit of a slump at the moment, having bombed out of my last 3 tournies by going all in. These have been with AA, AK & QQ - happy days lol. Thanks for the reply Prof, sorry to sound stupid but what do you mean by ss? Still trying to get my head around some of the terminology on here. So basically the more big blinds i have the more i am able to gamble?  Ha not to sure about Ole tbh mate - very nieve but we will see. He will either be gone by xmas or will storm the championship. Just need Tan gone, that is the man thing. The guy is a joke
    Posted by CardiffAce
     Sorry C   SS mean stack size in poker speaker. Gamble? Yes in a way but most poker players would like to say that you have more oppurtunities to try various strategies such as 3 betting etc
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Did I get a bit excited? : You don't sound stupid at all. I've never heard that before either and I've been playing a while. I assume the learned one means 'starting stack' ☺ Played the hand fine, just unlucky;
    Posted by Jac35
     'The learned one' eh Jac? I take it this was a bit of a put down but when I was just beginning on the site I appreciated guys offering opinions and making comment which I could go away and look further into. I appreciated the interest. I'm not saying that I an 100% right . Far from it as I've a lot to learn too but surely showing interest in another people on the forum is a good thing and not to be disparaged. 
    Probably considering he is on the final table the stack sizes in relation to the blinds were such that all-in is  THE acceptable play but ss in relation to the blind sizes is an important part of poker, don't you think, and is something that a new player needs to become acquainted with.

PS Ive just looked thro' the other posts and seen that the blinds were 4000/8000 so that yes ai is best in this situation and he was just ul to run into KK, I totally agree. Btw Jac surprised you've never seen the abbrev ss if you're reading through forum clinics.
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Did I get a bit excited? :  'The learned one' eh Jac? I take it this was a bit of a put down but when I was just beginning on the site I appreciated guys offering opinions and making comment which I could go away and look further into. I appreciated the interest. I'm not saying that I an 100% right . Far from it as I've a lot to learn too but surely showing interest in another people on the forum is a good thing and not to be disparaged.  Probably considering he is on the final table the stack sizes in relation to the blinds were such that all-in is  THE acceptable play but ss in relation to the blind sizes is an important part of poker, don't you think, and is something that a new player needs to become acquainted with. PS Ive just looked thro' the other posts and seen that the blinds were 4000/8000 so that yes ai is best in this situation and he was just ul to run into KK, I totally agree. Btw Jac surprised you've never seen the abbrev ss if you're reading through forum clinics.
    Posted by profman15
    No no

You've misunderstood me. It was just a silly reference to your alias. Certainly not a put down.
    Apologies if you took it another way.
    I honestly hadn't seen 'ss' before. My bad
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Did I get a bit excited? : No no You've misunderstood me. It was just a silly reference to your alias. Certainly not a put down. Apologies if you took it another way. .. I honestly hadn't seen 'ss' before. My bad
    Posted by Jac35
     Hi Jac

Im so sorry...it didnt seem like you at all. Mind i'd had a go at answering a whole load of s hands in the clinic with no guarantees given if you know what i mean m8. Cheers
  • edited May 2014
    ^^
    Lol...what a pickle! I would be excited too with 1010...and I also didn't know what ss meant! So don't worry :)
  • edited May 2014
    Hi Mrs D
    aha....ididnt myself until i came across it. Im beginning to wish id written stack size now..Usually its short stack but ive seen it as sss as short stack size. Its only to make things easier when for instance you put down comments in players notes etc in shortned form Have a look at this link..they may help...i know i was flummoxed at some stuff until i'd been told or had a crib sheet. There's plenty around.....

cheers