You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

late reg

edited May 2014 in Poker Chat
hi
    i would like to get players opinions on the pro,s and cons if any .of late reging in tournys.
                                          thanks
                                          windamon

Comments

• edited May 2014
    all pro for me
  • edited May 2014
    hi im new to this site but have played loads of others over the yrs . in my experiance its always been best to join a tourney late. the reasen for this is coz as so often seen in poker tourneys the early players like to race up the chip ladder and there for they play bad cards and hit. we all know this as donk play. so its always best to join as late as possible if you want to reduce a early knockout. its great to have a late reg so you can also use the time to look at other tables and take notes on players and there playing styles. hope this was the sort of reply you was looking for to kick start your late reg debate .

• edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: late reg:
    hi im new to this site but have played loads of others over the yrs . in my experiance its always been best to join a tourney late. the reasen for this is coz as so often seen in poker tourneys the early players like to race up the chip ladder and there for they play bad cards and hit. we all know this as donk play. so its always best to join as late as possible if you want to reduce a early knockout. its great to have a late reg so you can also use the time to look at other tables and take notes on players and there playing styles. hope this was the sort of reply you was looking for to kick start your late reg debate .
    Posted by br14n69
    what and miss the chance to flop sets for cheap when the blinds are small and stack someone who cant fold top pair??? school boy error sir
  • edited May 2014
    +
    less people till the money
    flexability

-
    bad players/easy chips are less likely to still be in
    less options available to you due to your shorter stack
    most people have more chips than you

whether late reg is a good thing for you depends on how good your short stack game is and how good your deep stack play is. If you suck at 20/30bb play then you definately dont want to be late regging much, or at least not far into the late reg period! If your always donking of chips at the start of a tourney then you might want to consider doing it more often.

fwiw, I dont like late regging with less than about 40-50bb.
  • edited May 2014
    prime example i watched a tv game that cost £100 to enter. 

a personal friend of mine was playing. he went down to 3.700 chips (starting chips 10k deepstack) before the level 9 blinds ended. (lev 9 was when the late reg finished) he played only top cards and kept losing the the weaker hand. now if he took late reg just b4 it ended then he would have had 10k . the out right chip leader at that stage was on 38k and only 20 or so players with 20k to 30k chips below him. 
    he still would of had a good amount of chips to do damage rather than struggle to get back up again. like i said the blinds was still low and still he would of had loads of time to build up from a late start. players was not that far in front on the leader board at that stage. this would also given him a chance to get a reading on a lot of players and noted there styles. 

so for that reasen i have always favoured the end of the late reg. 

short stack games are different. i normaly still take a late reg but not to let the blinds or players stacks get to hi b4 i join.

each to there own i suppose chicknmelt.

lev 9 blinds was 125/250 thats all

• edited May 2014
    Late Reg is + + imho. Good for the players who for whatever reason cant be there at the start which then increases the prize pool so potentially larger payouts and more get paid. Also good for Sky as they can optimise the rake. There should be more LR lasting more levels in some cases.
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: late reg:
    prime example i watched a tv game that cost £100 to enter.  a personal friend of mine was playing. he went down to 3.700 chips (starting chips 10k deepstack) before the level 9 blinds ended. (lev 9 was when the late reg finished) he played only top cards and kept losing the the weaker hand. now if he took late reg just b4 it ended then he would have had 10k . the out right chip leader at that stage was on 38k and only 20 or so players with 20k to 30k chips below him.  he still would of had a good amount of chips to do damage rather than struggle to get back up again. like i said the blinds was still low and still he would of had loads of time to build up from a late start. players was not that far in front on the leader board at that stage. this would also given him a chance to get a reading on a lot of players and noted there styles.  so for that reasen i have always favoured the end of the late reg.  short stack games are different. i normaly still take a late reg but not to let the blinds or players stacks get to hi b4 i join. each to there own i suppose chicknmelt. lev 9 blinds was 125/250 thats all
    Posted by br14n69
    lol

but if he hadnt been unlucky against the lesser hands and he won those posts he would have been on around 20k chips...which is better then 10k chips....

• edited May 2014
    i think late reg is great & i use it a lot altho agree that there are some minuses such as maybe losing out on some easy chips.
    it's also worth bearing in mind that in a BH you are gonna be missing out on some early head prizes altho early doors it prob doesn't represent too big a % of the prize pool