You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

GTD's

edited May 2014 in Poker Chat
Please point me in the direction of another thread or shoot me down.... but...

Primo down to £8k

The 9pm down to £3k

Roller down to £15k...

I get that numbers may not always meet the gtd. But surely if you are dropping the GTD's then surely the buyins should be also dropped?

With all the money generated for sky by people hammering the rake to win a seat/package to ukpc at -ev I am sure sky could of left the GTD's as they were.

IMO

Comments

• edited May 2014
    good point less GT drop the buy in or keep the GT to get players in the tourney surley they can afford a bit of overlay from the rake they take ?
  • edited May 2014
    Its the time of the year happens every year. Nice weather more people are out with friends and at socail events that sitting inside player poker. They will be back up again come november
  • edited May 2014
    No other site does this... Just spotted another one ... £22 - £500bh @ 12.00 has been dropped to £400.

It would be nice if there was an actual offical post/email rather than having Tikay come on the in an attempt to sweeten the blow.

Just to come in and reduce the GTD's accross the board on alot of the tourneys is insane. Just because "the sun" is out or "time of year"

• edited May 2014

The gntee is reduced because there are less people around to play the tournament.

Reducing the buyin as well as the gntee achieves nothing.

£20 gtd £2 buy in needs 10 players.

£10 gtd £1 buyin still needs 10 players.

What's the point In doing that, might as well leave it as it Is?

It's a really poor argument. Think about it.
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: GTD's:
    No other site does this... Just spotted another one ... £22 - £500bh @ 12.00 has been dropped to £400. It would be nice if there was an actual offical post/email rather than having Tikay come on the in an attempt to sweeten the blow. Just to come in and reduce the GTD's accross the board on alot of the tourneys is insane. Just because "the sun" is out or "time of year"
    Posted by Frank13
    It's essentially cost management, so nothing insane about it. If we give away £10,000 a week in overlay, that is £10,000 we won't be able to spend on things such as the TV channel, promotions, Sky Poker Rewards, etc.

Seasonality doesn't affect bigger sites such as Stars as hard because they have a global customer base and liquidity around the clock. Being a predominantly British site, we have to consider we have a smaller peak time (7pm-11pm ish) and the fact that a summer bank holiday weekend is going to see a lot of our players go outside to enjoy that weather. Similarly, our customer base loves their football too, so when there's a World Cup around the corner, you can expect a lot of folks will be watching that rather than grinding online. Seems pretty common-sensical to me.

I do understand the frustration, but think about it from the cost perspective and what could be jeopardised from overlaying tournaments every day. 
  • edited May 2014
    No other site does this... Just spotted another one ... £22 - £500bh @ 12.00 has been dropped to £400. It would be nice if there was an actual offical post/email rather than having Tikay come on the in an attempt to sweeten the blow. Just to come in and reduce the GTD's accross the board on alot of the tourneys is insane. Just because "the sun" is out or "time of year"
    Posted by Frank13
    Other sites do, do it, i went on stars for the first time in a while the other week and noticed a host of their GTD's had dropped since i last played.

Dont get me wrong id rather they were higher obveously, but its the nature of the game, sky poker cant afford thousands worth of quid on overlay every day
  • edited May 2014
    Posted by Frank13
    Is it better to keep a guarantee low or to adjust it based on seasonal trends? Sky could work out the low point, keep it guaranteed as that throughout the year. Instead they adjust based on seasonal trends which everyone who plays the game a fair bit (I thought) knows occur in online poker.

IMO, It would be insane to ignore seasonal trends and incur overlay. If overlay happens that money has to be found from somewhere.
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: GTD's : It's essentially cost management, so nothing insane about it. If we give away £10,000 a week in overlay, that is £10,000 we won't be able to spend on things such as the TV channel, promotions, Sky Poker Rewards, etc. Seasonality doesn't affect bigger sites such as Stars as hard because they have a global customer base and liquidity around the clock. Being a predominantly British site, we have to consider we have a smaller peak time (7pm-11pm ish) and the fact that a summer bank holiday weekend is going to see a lot of our players go outside to enjoy that weather. Similarly, our customer base loves their football too, so when there's a World Cup around the corner, you can expect a lot of folks will be watching that rather than grinding online. Seems pretty common-sensical to me. I do understand the frustration, but think about it from the cost perspective and what could be jeopardised from overlaying tournaments every day. 
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    What is this outside you talk of Dave?
  • edited May 2014
    Being a predominantly British site, we have to consider we have a smaller peak time (7pm-11pm ish) and the fact that a summer bank holiday weekend is going to see a lot of our players go outside to enjoy that weather.
    Hang on a minute, a few weeks ago when someone questioned why UKOPS are always on holiday weekends we were told it was because traffic is significantly higher over bank holidays
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: GTD's : Hang on a minute, a few weeks ago when someone questioned why UKOPS are always on holiday weekends we were told it was because traffic is significantly higher over bank holidays
    Posted by FCHD
    Ha!

Guilty M'Lord, it was me that said that, but we need to look a bit closer.....

One chap mocked Sky Poker, & was really rather rude, suggesting that due to the Easter Bank Holiday, traffic would be down & UKOPS would flop. 

I replied that traffic would be UP, as it is on Bank Holidays generally.

And it was - 19 of the 20 Easter UKOPS Events covered the Guarantees, with the 20th missing by a fingernail.

That was in APRIL.

This weekend is the end of MAY. Traffic WILL be higher than during the week, but traffic levels in late May are, obviously, less than in April. It's all relative.

• edited May 2014
    Posted by Frank13
    Hi Frank,

"sweeten the blow"?

I just try to keep the players informed, & do so by explaining, such as I'm allowed by Upstairs, WHY these things happen.

Not sure that is "sweetening the blow", I just think it's a really good thing to try to explain to players the what & why.

"No other site does this"? That's factually incorrect, lots of Sites do it, though mainly European facing sites, rather than global sites. 

In the case of Sky Poker, it is almost unique, in being almost totally UK & ROI facing ONLY. As such, traffic is bound to be seasonally affected.

It won't ever change, either. Every summer Guarantees will reduce, every Winter they'll increase. It's just how it always has been & always will be, I'm afraid, nothing will ever change that.

Likewise, traffic is affected by, say, the World Cup, & other major Sporting Events. (But Sky Bet see INCREASED traffic, of course). 

Really bad weather, middle of winter, snow everywhere, half the nation stuck at home & can't get to work, sporting events postponed? Traffic on Sky Poker goes through the roof, whereas Sky Bet activity is much reduced. 

Sorry that things are not as you'd wish, but I'm just trying to explain how it works. I really think that is is a good thing that we can openly discuss these matters. Inevitably, it gets misconstrued sometimes, but that's just one of those things I supppose, I think most players appreciate it.

I hope that goes some way to explaining it.    

• edited May 2014

Sorry Frank, I missed this bit.....

"...It would be nice if there was an actual offical post/email rather than having Tikay come on..."

Yes, it would, but the truth is, the guarantees are dynamically managed, micro-managed, sometimes DAILY. Any good, well-managed business would do the same. Overlay is not sustainable.  

e-Mailing every player every time a Guarantee changes would be nice in an ideal world, but you'd be flooded with e-Mails, & soon get fed up with them. Don't forget, the e-mails would have to go to 100% of the player-base, but only approx 20% of the player base regularly play MTT's.

Let's use the old Tesco analogy again. Do Tesco e-mail all their Clients when the price of a pound of eggs goes up? No, prices vary, day to day, week to week. MTT Guarantees are no different, really.

In an ideal world, yeah, I agree with you, but life's just not like that.
  • edited May 2014
    Well said Tikay.