You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Best of the best promo question - FAO Sky (rather urgent!)

edited June 2014 in Poker Chat
I may have a dilemma on my hands. As it stands I am 4th on the leaderboard and with only 3 days to go there is a chance of winning one of the packages.......here lies the problem! I am going to Corfu on the 15th August.

I have spoken to the travel agents about changing the date and this is a possibility but I would have to pay an admin fee. My missus is not happy about this but I'm hoping to put my foot down as this would be a once in a lifetime experience for me!

What are my options here?......

If I won the package then was a no show at the tournament does this mean I would have to return the £500 extra that comes with package??

If I buy in now and then win a package would I win the full buyin like I would in a "sat for cash situation"? If not how much would I win?........I ask because if I take this option then do change the date of the holiday I could end up out of pocket!

Help please, I know I have won the seat yet but need to have all bases covered because like I said, it would be too good to miss out on.

Finally........what's the best way of talking the missus round???? haha

Comments

• ommomm
    edited May 2014
    In Response to Best of the best promo question - FAO Sky (rather urgent!):
    I may have a dilemma on my hands. As it stands I am 4th on the leaderboard and with only 3 days to go there is a chance of winning one of the packages.......here lies the problem! I am going to Corfu on the 15th August. I have spoken to the travel agents about changing the date and this is a possibility but I would have to pay an admin fee. My missus is not happy about this but I'm hoping to put my foot down as this would be a once in a lifetime experience for me! What are my options here?...... If I won the package then was a no show at the tournament does this mean I would have to return the £500 extra that comes with package?? If I buy in now and then win a package would I win the full buyin like I would in a "sat for cash situation"? If not how much would I win?........I ask because if I take this option then do change the date of the holiday I could end up out of pocket! Help please, I know I have won the seat yet but need to have all bases covered because like I said, it would be too good to miss out on. Finally........what's the best way of talking the missus round???? haha
    Posted by waller02
    I think it's only fair she gets the £500 cash as a sweetner. 
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Best of the best promo question - FAO Sky (rather urgent!):
    In Response to Best of the best promo question - FAO Sky (rather urgent!) : I think it's only fair she gets the £500 cash as a sweetner. 
    Posted by omm
    I live close (about an hour) to DTD so travel and accommodation would be minimal expense for me. The admin fee is £50 per person, there are 4 of us (obv depends on the availability of the new dates).

She doesn't seem to grasp how big this would be for me and coupled with fact I haven't necessarily won the package yet she is kicking off! Really need to know what my options are here!
  • edited May 2014
    Schoolboy error Ryan.

Should've kept quiet before package is confirmed.
  • edited May 2014
    Schoolboy error Ryan. Should've kept quiet before package is confirmed.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I got excited when I saw I'd jumped up the leaderboard, didn't even realise it clashed with holiday. I could just leave her??? Things need sorting sooner rather than later though and if she wont budge I need to know if it worth me buying in if I'm still in the same position come Saturday morning

Look at my situation.......Say I didn't say anything hadn't bought in and I can't change date of holiday, what am I left with? Nothing because I don't turn up and have to reimburse the extra £500 that comes with the package??

I do buy in incase I win the package, do I receive money like sat for cash? If I receive less then can change date of holiday I'm severely out of pocket! If I can't change date of holiday at least I receive money then de reg??

Genuinely at a loss of what to do which is why I need to know from sky so I can discuss this with her properly. This is our first family holiday abroad for 7yrs
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Best of the best promo question - FAO Sky (rather urgent!) : I got excited when I saw I'd jumped up the leaderboard, didn't even realise it clashed with holiday. I could just leave her??? Things need sorting sooner rather than later though and if she wont budge I need to know if it worth me buying in if I'm still in the same position come Saturday morning
    Posted by waller02
    I see no other solution tbh ;)
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Best of the best promo question - FAO Sky (rather urgent!) : I see no other solution tbh ;)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I know I look a fool if come Sunday morning I have slipped down to 11th in the leaderboard or summat and I would be the first one to laugh about it.......but you gotta admit I have a chance here and I am in a tricky spot! haha

In a nutshell I guess the two things I need to know are..

1. If I buy in then win the package do I receive the full buy in?
    2. If I win the package but can't attend do I have to return the £500 quid?
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Best of the best promo question - FAO Sky (rather urgent!) : I know I look a fool if come Sunday morning I have slipped down to 11th in the leaderboard or summat and I would be the first one to laugh about it.......but you gotta admit I have a chance here and I am in a tricky spot! haha
    Posted by waller02
    When I said you should've kept quiet, I meant you shouldn't have said anything to her indoors. Obvs you look pretty good for a package, and no doubt you'll have one in the bag, pleased for ya :)

But I don't think you should've given her a heads up. Kept schtum until all confirmed, then drop it on her.

Just call me Deidre.
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Best of the best promo question - FAO Sky (rather urgent!) : When I said you should've kept quiet, I meant you shouldn't have said anything to her indoors. Obvs you look pretty good for a package, and no doubt you'll have one in the bag, pleased for ya :) But I don't think you should've given her a heads up. Kept schtum until all confirmed, then drop it on her. Just call me Deidre.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I get ya.....it's women I don't get! At the time didn't realise it clashed with holiday, though we were going end of August, she booked it I paid for it! Would have thought she would be pleased for me.....plus £200 quid admin fee is nothing compared to what the package is. Just gonna have to go into "sulk" mode followed by "hurt" mode and finish it off with "giver her some money" mode.

But yeah I guess you're right cos she will proper rub it in if I end up not winning the package now! But like I said, I got excited haha
  • edited May 2014
    Anyone else need marriage advice?
  • edited May 2014
    Anyone else need marriage advice?
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Why??  Do you know anyone who gives decent marriage advice??   ;) 

• edited May 2014
    I really hope you get this sorted mate. Whilst i dont want to  be mean this thread is the funniest thing ive read on here since joining the forum!!!

At least its a win win situation. You are off on holiday or playing in a massive tourney most of us only dream of!!!

I just explained your situation to my girlfriend and she wasnt sympathetic to your plight. What the f is wrong with women lol. I said i'd be playing for a min cash and taking her to the maldives lol. 

In all seriousness good luck with it mate
  • ommomm
    edited May 2014

11. No cash alternative is available for any part of the Sky Poker 6-Max UKPC Main Event seat, nor is the seat transferrable. Winners must not sell or transfer their Sky Poker 6-Max UKPC Main Event seat to any third party and winners are responsible for the payment of any applicable tax, if any, due on winning the Prize, and/or any prize money won by participating in the Event.

12. Any player that has already won a 6-Max UKPC Main Event seat without the (£500 expense credit) can still participate in the promotion and will be awarded the same cash value up to £500 of the seat value/package.

Think this should clear it up for you Waller.

• edited May 2014
    11. No cash alternative is available for any part of the Sky Poker 6-Max UKPC Main Event seat, nor is the seat transferrable. Winners must not sell or transfer their Sky Poker 6-Max UKPC Main Event seat to any third party and winners are responsible for the payment of any applicable tax, if any, due on winning the Prize, and/or any prize money won by participating in the Event. 12.   Any player that has already won a 6-Max UKPC Main Event seat without the (£500 expense credit) can still participate in the promotion and will be awarded the same cash value up to £500 of the seat value/package. Think this should clear it up for you Waller.
    Posted by omm
    Cheers yeah I had read no 12 but it was the "already won" bit that had me confused, plus I gather they are saying you would be awarded £500? But I am proposing buying in, so not sure if I would receive the full buy in like you would in sats for cash........this could just be me but it does seem a bit unclear.

Also, not sure what would happen with this extra £500 you receive if you are then a no show at the event.

My missus' step dad is on my side and is applying the pressure for me too, we have both explained that even after paying the £200 admin fee for bring the holiday forward a week we are still £300 quid up...........I'm just gonna have to put my foot down if I end up winning the package!

Shauny, I'm glad you find it amusing :) Must admit I prob would too if the roles were reversed! If you think it's funny now then I can't imagine how funny you will find it if come Sunday morning if I have slipped right out of the top 10......I may have to go into hiding for a while!!!

I may have been a bit premature, but I felt like a big kid when I jumped right up that leaderboard with so little of the month left.......if I end up with egg on my face then so be it, was still a good buzz!
  • edited May 2014
    Sorry mate. My warped sense of humour! When i read the thread i was laughing, probably because this sort of "why always me" situation i get myself into. But obviously this will be a stressful situation for you and i really hope it all works out for you. Looking at the leader board i think you will get a place. I think you should make a thread for your wife to read and the whole sky community can give her reasons why its an amazing oppotunity for you. All tue best mate.
  • ommomm
    edited May 2014
    The £500 gets transferred into your account after 72 hours, I think they would have a job getting it back if you didn't turn up. I asked my missus how she would feel if this happened to us, she said she would go mad, until I told her id give her the £300 for herself, soon changed her tune!
  • edited May 2014
    Not read all the replies so may be duplicating but...

1) The £500 is yours to do with as you wish. I got mine into my Sky account a day or two after winning the package and you can withdraw that and do whatever u like with it (or keep it on Sky).

2) You can't do the BI first to get the cash trick with this promotion. As far as I know if you were to BI and then win the package, you'd only get the £500 expenses (and nothing else) so then you'd basically be buying in yourself when you probably won't need to.

Regardless of your plans, just do whatever is best to win the promo because either way you'll get £500 cash
  • edited May 2014
    Not read all the replies so may be duplicating but... 1) The £500 is yours to do with as you wish. I got mine into my Sky account a day or two after winning the package and you can withdraw that and do whatever u like with it (or keep it on Sky). 2) You can't do the BI first to get the cash trick with this promotion. As far as I know if you were to BI and then win the package, you'd only get the £500 expenses (and nothing else) so then you'd basically be buying in yourself when you probably won't need to. Regardless of your plans, just do whatever is best to win the promo because either way you'll get £500 cash
    Posted by Lambert180
    Thats abit crxp, if they gunna do that with this they should do it with everything. Whats good for 1 should be good for the rest
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Best of the best promo question - FAO Sky (rather urgent!) : Thats abit crxp, if they gunna do that with this they should do it with everything. Whats good for 1 should be good for the rest
    Posted by seppe
    The thing is, this is a promotion specifically designed to get bums on seats at the UKPC and to help them meet a £500,000 guarantee. So when they give away 60 seats or w/e, they want that to = 60 more people regged, not 45 people who take £1000 and 15 more people in the lobby.

In all other cases, it's just via satellites (not a promo) so they can't really say 'you've won £0' if you win a satellite to something that you're already registered for.
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Best of the best promo question - FAO Sky (rather urgent!) : The thing is, this is a promotion specifically designed to get bums on seats at the UKPC and to help them meet a £500,000 guarantee. So when they give away 60 seats or w/e, they want that to = 60 more people regged, not 45 people who take £1000 and 15 more people in the lobby. In all other cases, it's just via satellites (not a promo) so they can't really say 'you've won £0' if you win a satellite to something that you're already registered for.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Ye fair point but you could say that for any tournament, so its not a fair arguement to say its 2 get bums on seats?

maybe im wrong
  • edited May 2014
    Here's what I propose waller...........

Just cancel 1 seat for the holiday....send her away & attend the UKPC

it's wn win all round.......she gets the holiday and you get the 1500 UKPC Package

Give her the £500 quid spending money from the UKPC Package.....Minus the £50 quid cancellation fee.

How can it go wrong, you both get what you want & she gets the added bonus of £450 to spend :)
  • edited May 2014
    If (and it is still a big if as things are getting tight up top) I win the package then I will be coming! This depends on me being able to change the dates of the holiday but the travel agents said it SHOULDN'T be a problem.

I talked the missus round that's the main thing..........now just gotta pray I can hold on. Still 4th but it is squeaky bum time!!
  • edited June 2014
    Bump.
    Any news?
  • edited June 2014
    Looks like it's in the bag....

Better get on the blower to the holiday people!

Been a pleasure helping you Ryan. Any time, day or night, if you need marriage advice or even just a sympathetic ear, don't hesitate to get in touch ;)

WP sir, all the best for Notts. Never know, might see you down there (I'll be the one without a female on my arm, believe it or not)
  • edited June 2014
    Yeah I have only just come online and seen I have got the seat. Going to the travel agents tomorrow to see about brining the holiday forward, the missus came round in the end! Have only just sent off for my passport renewal so that better arrive on time.........I'm not the most organised person in the world!

Feels great to have won a seat though and for free!!!!
  • edited June 2014
    congratulations mate wp.

Glad it all worked out in the end. If you're going on holiday before the UKPC, take plenty of poker strategy books to read ;)