You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

calculating outs and odd + pot odds must read

hi im going to try make this as simple as possible

step 1 say we are delt 9,s 10,s and the flop comes Q,c 8,s k,s   :
so we will look at what cards make our hand stronger 
we know any spade will give flush so thats 2,3,4,5,6,7,J,A =8 cards
or any jack                                             J,c J,h J,d        =3 cards
so thats 11 cards to give us a stronger hand.
Using the 4 and 2 method on the flop we TIMES it by 4 to give the percentage ov us hitting and making the strongest hand so 11x4 = 44 % chance ov improving our hand
on the turn comes a 7,d then we calculate how many outs we have now

we know any spade will give flush so thats 2,3,4,5,6,7,J,A =8 cards
or any jack                                             J,c J,h J,d        =3 cards
or any 6                                                6,d 6,c 6h         =3 cards
so that is 14 cards that can make out hand better on the river
using the 4 and 2 method we TIMES this by 2 on the turn to give the percentage ov us hitting and making the strongest hand so 14x2 = 28 % chance of improving your hand

say theres 300 in the pot he bets 100 making the pot 400
its 100 for us 2 call making it 4 to 1
if we call 100 that means its 1/5 = 20% ov the pot so we need a 20% chance ov winning to jusify calling

HOPE THIS HAS HELPED ALL OF YOU

Comments

• edited January 2010
    As your opponent, I'm holding AsJs - you are now less than 20% to win after the flop.
    I hope that this has helped YOU.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: calculating outs and odd + pot odds must read:
    As your opponent, I'm holding AsJs - you are now less than 20% to win after the flop. I hope that this has helped YOU.
    Posted by MereNovice

so u still calculate the POT ODDS 2 determine weather u call or not
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: calculating outs and odd + pot odds must read : so u still calculate the POT ODDS 2 determine weather u call or not
    Posted by timebomb10

say theres 300 in the pot he bets 100 making the pot 400
    its 100 for us 2 call making it 4 to 1
    if we call 100 that means its 1/5 = 20% ov the pot so we need a 20% chance ov winning to jusify calling
  • edited January 2010
    Post session analysis - pokerstove ftw
  • edited January 2010
    Hey Timebomb

You're offering a lot of advice for everyone on the forums which is great.  I look forward to reading more of them.  Do you mind if I set you a few puzzlers in this thread just to put you through your paces?
  • edited January 2010
    I've decided to take the liberty to post the first little brainstormer for you.  These are not a mickey take, these are real deep theory problems  (I have personally come across the one below).  After reading about your person circumstances in another thread I hope these will entertain and stimulate your poker brain.

I can think of two situations where it is the correct decision to fold a royal flush.  One in a cash game and one in a tournament.  Can you name either of them or do you have any more of your own?  Please give your full reasoning for the play.  To give a little clue, one involves deep game theory/future expectation and one is purely down to the math.  To make it a little harder I will not accept reasoning along the lines of to make it look like you can't play poker for future pots.  That would be too simple.

Enjoy :)
  • edited January 2010
    I've decided to take the liberty to post the first little brainstormer for you.  These are not a mickey take, these are real deep theory problems  (I have personally come across the one below).  After reading about your person circumstances in another thread I hope these will entertain and stimulate your poker brain. I can think of two situations where it is the correct decision to fold a royal flush.  One in a cash game and one in a tournament.  Can you name either of them or do you have any more of your own?  Please give your full reasoning for the play.  To give a little clue, one involves deep game theory/future expectation and one is purely down to the math.  To make it a little harder I will not accept reasoning along the lines of to make it look like you can't play poker for future pots.  That would be too simple. Enjoy :)
    Posted by TommyD
    The reason being, you're mental!!! Either that or you are playing duece to seven!!!