You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

A Players Make your Play 1

Firstly I can't take all the credit for this idea DOHHH came up with the initial idea and we both decided it would be a good idea, but anyways here is my own make your play.

Blinds are 50p/£1 and it's 6 handed

Hero has Qh, 10h (EP) (£110) and the Villain (button) (£79)

Hero calls initial, (comment?)

Villain then raises it to £4, Hero calls, everyone else folds.

Flop comes Jh, 2d, 10d

Hero bets £2, Villain raises to £6, Hero calls. (comment?)

Turn comes 9h

Comments

• edited January 2010
    Firstly I feel the initial call with the Q,10 suited is ok but I would have rather seen a raise there to pressurise the opponents early on. The Villians re-raises says to me he either has a big Ace or he is holding pocket pairs perhaps high or mid pockets or 2 high suited cards.

After the flop we have hit the 10 so I feel the £2 bet might be a value bet try and see where the Villain is, which is fine with the flush draw on the board, I am certainly not laying down here with only the J above my bottom pair hit I would still fancy myself to be infront to most hands. The Villains re-raise I feel is either a contiuation bet from his pre flop raise or he is either hit the J or is on a flush draw, but I would still call.

When the turn comes the 9h, it gives us the straight, flush and straight flush oppurtunities. Also it does lead to higher straight possibilities though if the Villain has KQ or AQ, KQ he would have already made his straight and AQ would have him on the nut straight. With all this information and the aggressive play from the Villain I am check calling here, knowing he is probably going to raise any bet so its likely to cost less to check call than to bet, or check raise and I certainly aint lying this hand down.
  • edited January 2010

Good stuff Spikey, I'll Post a reply tomorrow when I'm not so busy.

I encourage as many players as possible to contribute to these Make Your Play threads.

Remember - the answers are not as important as the reasoning & logic behind your answers.

Oh - & Spikey/Dohhhhhhh - may I suggest that you do the "each-stage Reveals" one day at a time. A hand lasts several days then, & it allows everyone a chance to contribute.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: A Players Make your Play 1:
    Good stuff Spikey, I'll Post a reply tomorrow when I'm not so busy. I encourage as many players as possible to contribute to these Make Your Play threads. Remember - the answers are not as important as the reasoning & logic behind your answers. Oh - & Spikey/Dohhhhhhh - may I suggest that you do the "each-stage Reveals" one day at a time. A hand lasts several days then, & it allows everyone a chance to contribute.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Great Idea Tikay will certainly do from now on besides this was just an initial one to get everything moving. Also its great to have the support on this
  • edited January 2010
    Nice one Spike.

Preflop I'm not a major fan of limp calling.  I don't particularly like putting raising money into the pot without being the one in control of a hand.  However on a six max it's a half decent drawing hand.  Without a history of the villain, his range will be quite large as a button raise is half expected, as is the hero's call.

I hate the lead out bet size (£2 into a £9.50 pot).  It's far too small.  I would bump it up with four high just out of principal.  If you want to start defining the villain's hand, we've got to be betting at least a fiver and probably more.  When we make this bet, we've got to already be thinking what we are going to do if we are either flatted or raised.  As we flat his raise again we look like we have no idea where we are.

On the turn I lead out with a bet.  I'm now going to represent a set (trying to fit that awful flop bet look like an attempt to get raised).  We have to decide at this point are we here to make a hand or to take a hand.  I'm happy to take down the hand now.  If I get raised it will all depend on the villains raise whether or not I jam.  If the villain is not pot stuck I'm shoving on the semi bluff.  I really do not think I'm ahead but I have a massive draw if I get a call.  Hopefully they muck.  If they do look pot stuck it's all on if I have the odds to make the hand.
  • edited January 2010

MYP's on a tuesday morning! - gr8 stuff!

The hand...

Im with Tommy, Im not a fan of limp calling pre flop, I rarely do this, If I do it would be at a very aggro table, where I know the players behind r gonna pump it up. With hands such as small pairs and suited connectors, Im willing to put 4xBB in pre to see a flop, but if I make the raise, get re raised behind, the pots getting pretty big here n Im speculating with a drawing hand OOP, much prefer a limp call here. If I believe the table is passive, Im happy to make the raise knowing im gunna get to the flop with momentum and the betting lead.

Again, with Tommy, I hate the 'donk bet' into him on the turn, its asking to be raised, and it is. Ive got myself in a bad position with 2nd pair OOP.

Tommy says because we flat the raise on the flop, it looks like we dont know where we are in the hand. Thats exactly what Im thinking right now! Ive no idea where I am!!

That river card is a cracker! a twist in the tale! - I have a pair, and an up and down straight flush draw! I really dunno!! I know If Im in position here, I bet if its checked to me, and raise if he bets out!

I haven't really considered what he could be holding, as Ive no idea, Ive not asked any questions of him anywhere in the hand. Im not folding my hand, and I dont want the pot to get out of control - so I probably check to him and call the bet. Then I shove the river if I hit, all in, overbet big!

DOHH

• edited January 2010
    i'm a novice on the cash tables, so heres my take, i don't like the heros preflop call he's out of position and it's not the greatest hand, the inevitable happens and the BB  raises, he's got no real option but to call, he's now in a hand for more money than his hand/position justifies so is already under preassure, he hits his ten but i hate the £2 bet, it says exactly what it is " i've hit something but i'm not convinced i've got the best hand" the villians raise to £6 to me says he's got the hero dominated with either AJ with one or more D's or an over pair, the £6 is to try an bleed as much out of this hand as possible rather than to make the hero fold, at this point i bite the bullet and fold, i'm being pushed around and a reraise isn't going to alter that but the hero calls the raise, the turn comes a heart but the hero has absoluely no idea where he is in the hand, i think just to follow his previous play he check/calls.
    this hand seems all to familiar to hands i've played badly on the cash tables, be interested to see how far off i am with my analysis?
  • edited January 2010
    Can u tell us what villain plays like?  What i do is very player dependent whether to c raise or not.

Agree with others though, hate limp lead!

XX
  • edited January 2010
    I don't think that I'm adding anything new here but I'll still stick my oar in.

I don't like the limp/call pre-flop out of position. A raise is definitely in order with that hand unless you've got a loose image on an aggressive table and feel that you are likely to be 3-bet big (in which case I'll fold rather than raise).

The weak lead out on the flop is poor and is begging to be re-raised. as TommyD (and possibly others) said, the size of the villain's raise is interesting here. It "polarises his range" (to use a buzz phrase) and I read the small size as weakness or extreme strength depending on my view of my opponent.

On the turn, I am definitely check/calling (subject to opponent's bet size).
    My hand is now full of rich promise and I really want to see the river so I want to get there as cheaply as possible.
    The problem is that I can't see many turn bets that my opponent would make that would not leave me pot-committed so we might have to get it all in on the turn depending on the size of his bet.
    If my hand improves at all, I would bet out on the river.
    If the river makes my flush, I am all-in since villains often dis-believe that we have made a "backdoor" flush and we are either getting paid or not. If I make any other hand, it would depend on the pot size but I suspect that I am also all-in.
    The only time that I wouldn't bet out on the river (if I improved) is if I put my opponent on no hand (which seems unlikely) and the only way to extract value from him is to let him bluff.
  • edited January 2010

I think open limping preflop is terrible IMO, im suprised that every1 is saying this hand should be raise UTG as i prefer a fold (unless the table are huge nits), I prefer opening hands UTG which flop monsters and are easy to get away from such as A10s+,A2s-A5s,76s etc and any poket pair.
  • edited January 2010
    These make your plays are pretty pointless as there is no info given on villain and his tendencies so you can write pages and pages to cover lags tags nits etc but i'm hardly gonna give away completely how i play so how about some villain info on next one?