You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Spewy or correct play long term?

edited June 2014 in The Poker Clinic
This was my exit hand from one of the DTDs last nite. We were 3 off the money I had less than 10 bigs and pick up this hand on the button. 

Just to explain my thinking, I only have less than10 bigs and Q9 suited is a slightly better than average hand. With the limper I cant really raise fold so in my mind it is a shove or a fold. Why shove? Well as I said I think Q9 is a better than average hand, we are close to the bubble and there is probably more folds than calls out there.

Is this type of thinking far too spewy late on in an MTT? 

SlykllistSmall blind 400.00400.0029035.00POKEY2011Big blind 800.001200.0025445.00 Your hole cards9Q   supercrazyFold    riverrickCall 800.002000.0010660.00dabossmanAll-in 6300.008300.000.00
Second hand

This was about 15 or 20 off the money, long term is this a fold or a call and what would be the reasons for either play?

dabossmanSmall blind 500.00500.0011176.00SlykllistBig blind 1000.001500.0036683.50 Your hole cardsQK   mickee1Fold    ray01Fold    MR_D123Fold    j3onoAll-in 13422.5014922.500.00dabossman? 11176.00  

Comments

• edited June 2014
    I agree with the first and would shove I think.

The second, depends, was this player  doing this alot on the button for blinds?
    Then I would call.

If not and it was the first time this player had shoved, id prob fold and have another orbit, id rather be the aggressor with KQs than the caller.
  • edited June 2014
    Hand 1: Fine. Why? You've took the initiative, your gaining more chips thanks to the limper and this is going to work a decent amount. Factor that if we do get called we will often be live and we have both straight and flush possibilities too. 

Hand 2: calling off is always harder because obviously you need a stronger hand to call than push (eg hand above) but here we have a strong hand and I would be calling this all the live long day! We need chips, have a good hand and we are going to be ahead a lot too. 
  • edited June 2014
    Hand 1 - Absolutely fine.

Hand 2 - Easy call tbh. Button has 13bb and is gonna be shoving pretty wide here.
  • edited June 2014
    Yeah agree with shove hand one!

And hand two, I snap call expecting at worst rag A but will be ahead a lot of the time 
  • edited June 2014
    Good shove first hand. I'm gonna guess someone woke up with something decent in the blinds ;)

Second hand. Never a huge fan of calling off, but with it coming from the button I think we have to go for it. We trail any A and pair, but if we have live cards to go with our broadway and flush potential, we will never be far behind. Can sometimes be ahead of course too.
  • edited June 2014
    Thanks for the replies everyone just questioning everything at the moment particularly in MTTs which is a format I have never really set the heather on fire.

I did call the KQ hand and was up against an A but was live, didnt like calling it off but KQ is one of those hands and it looked so pretty lol.

Bob, it wasnt the blinds that called me :(
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Spewy or correct play long term?:
    Thanks for the replies everyone just questioning everything at the moment particularly in MTTs which is a format I have never really set the heather on fire. I did call the KQ hand and was up against an A but was live, didnt like calling it off but KQ is one of those hands and it looked so pretty lol. Bob, it wasnt the blinds that called me :(
    Posted by dabossman
    Limp trapped you with a monster eh? Still can't fault the shove, great hand to do it with.

I only might pass if villain had opened with a raise every hand previously, then just limps in now. Even then, I might be tempted to go for a spin up.