You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

am i leaking chips with my action on the turn?

edited June 2014 in The Poker Clinic
bingopayzz Small blind   300.00 300.00 8855.00
craigcu12 Big blind   600.00 900.00 8560.00
  Your hole cards
  • Q

SQUARKEY Fold        
twicetwo Fold        
jw9999 Raise   1200.00 2100.00 9665.00
launder Fold        
bingopayzz Fold        
craigcu12 Call   600.00 2700.00 7960.00
Flop

craigcu12 Check        
  Check        
Turn

• A

craigcu12 Bet   1350.00 4050.00 6610.00
  Call   1350.00 5400.00 8315.00
River

craigcu12 Check        
  Check        
craigcu12 Show
  • Q

Muck        
craigcu12 Win Flush to the Ace 5400.00   12010.00

Comments

• edited June 2014
    Pre....Its close, not sure we're really deep enough to peel.

Someone much better than me will assess the turn play. I kinda don't mind it, but equally ain't in love with it either. Gotta love fence sitting.

As played, gotta bomb the river. You pretty much have a PSB behind, its a disguised back door flush, and he called our turn bet which suggests he has something. Don't give them the chance to check back their weak Ax type hands. Seems unlikely you'll get a bluff out of the villain, going on the previous streets action, and the stack sizes involved by the river.
  • edited June 2014
    This is a bizarre hand all round.

I don't like the peel pre, I like a jam pre if the villian is opening anywhere close to regularly.

Flop standard.

Turn I like a bet, but I'd go a bit smaller.

River, we HAVE to bet it. I don't get the decision to check. Prob ship river, but I'm deffo making some sort of bet.
  • edited June 2014
    Jam pre, or as played Jam river. easy game!
  • edited June 2014
    disagree with the lads about 3bet shoving, flicking the 600 in is pretty standard in todays game but still its never a bad option to shove so neither is wrong, turn im all for betting but that river check is absolutley diabolical
  • edited June 2014
    Turn bet is fine, its good to build the pot up, he may fold anyway, your check on the river is just baffling, hes showed no aggresion, hes not going to bet, a half pot sized bet here im sure you wouldda got the call. strange. 
  • edited June 2014
    when i called it preflop i was doing it with the intent to Ch/shove on a suited flop, if it were a straight draw flop i would have donked the flop, the reason i didn't do a shove preflop is i wanted him to keep the weak hands in play as i see my jam only getting called by more dominant kickers. the river was a misclick because my hands were shaking with excitement as i had recently managed to get my chipstack right back in play with a sucession of premium pairs and super unpaired hands i seemed to have a bit of positive tilt.

the bet on the turn was made to get value from the gutshot and straight draws should i do a bet size in the region of 1.5BB?
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: am i leaking chips with my action on the turn?:
    disagree with the lads about 3bet shoving, flicking the 600 in is pretty standard in todays game but still its never a bad option to shove so neither is wrong, turn im all for betting but that river check is absolutley diabolical
    Posted by THEROCK573
    +1
  • edited June 2014
    Pre is a peel imo.

Gonna disagree with pretty much everyone and say turn is a c/c. Not sure why we need to semi-bluff with decent showdown value. Getting blown off the hand on the turn is a bit of a disaster as well.

As played checking river is criminal.

• edited June 2014
    Reason i said jam was from the blind/stacks i assumed this was a turbo and we have a great spot to 3b jam i feel. Peeling is fine but i like a jam here .. probably just my preference and style. I think we have to bet the turn, personally i would go slightly bigger and set up for a river jam but any size works really. 
  • edited June 2014
    If we haven't seen the raiser opening the betting very often then it's a fold pre-flop. Too much of his range is going to have us in trouble.

If he's been opening fairly regularly, I can defend the call. Calling against a tightish range would mean we're going to be hoping to keep the pot small with any one-pair hands post-flop and too often we're going to hit our ten, check-call the flop and check-fold the turn. We don't flop decent draws all that often, either.

I don't like 3-bet shoving particularly, again because the villain's calling range is going to have us crushed. We need him to be stealing very light for that. If that's the case, though, a call is probably better to let him take a stab post-flop. When we hit our one-pairs, we can consider calling down for value and with any draws we've got a good check-raise spot.

So fold if he's opening tight. Call if he's opening wide. If it's our first hand at the table I lean towards folding.

I'd also agree with not betting the turn. I'm not sure what we want to happen when we bet. If we get a call, we're very likely to have the worst hand and need to improve. Assuming he bets most one-pair hands on the flop, are we hoping he just randomly peels a river with KJ/KQ/QJ on this Ace turn?
  • edited June 2014
    what i'm thinking is their are  lots of gutshots an he might have raised hands such as KQ KJ QJ also if my flush does come on the river then i might have discuised it more.
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: am i leaking chips with my action on the turn?:
    If we haven't seen the raiser opening the betting very often then it's a fold pre-flop. Too much of his range is going to have us in trouble. If he's been opening fairly regularly, I can defend the call. Calling against a tightish range would mean we're going to be hoping to keep the pot small with any one-pair hands post-flop and too often we're going to hit our ten, check-call the flop and check-fold the turn. We don't flop decent draws all that often, either. I don't like 3-bet shoving particularly, again because the villain's calling range is going to have us crushed. We need him to be stealing very light for that. If that's the case, though, a call is probably better to let him take a stab post-flop. When we hit our one-pairs, we can consider calling down for value and with any draws we've got a good check-raise spot. So fold if he's opening tight. Call if he's opening wide. If it's our first hand at the table I lean towards folding. I'd also agree with not betting the turn. I'm not sure what we want to happen when we bet. If we get a call, we're very likely to have the worst hand and need to improve. Assuming he bets most one-pair hands on the flop, are we hoping he just randomly peels a river with KJ/KQ/QJ on this Ace turn?
    Posted by BorinLoner
    think you missed out in you're opinion on the end of this line.