You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What initial BR to work off?

edited June 2014 in Poker Chat
Hi guys,

I am often depositing small amounts and playing tournaments/cash however I am finding it difficult to maintain and build up my roll. I mainly play low/micro stakes, nothing more than 0.05p/0.10p cash games but mainly tournaments with buy in ranges £5-10.

I was asking for an opinion on the best way to build a roll and what would be an ideal deposit amount? I have played on sky for a few years and sharkscope shows me as a *slightly* profitable player however when I get a few beats it is in my mentality to think oh another deposit and I'm pretty sure this isn't great for the confidence in your game. Even if I broke even on playing each week I would be happy as I just want to improve my game as I go along.

Thanks in advance,
Simon

Comments

• edited June 2014
    Hey Simon,

For cash, if you are playing 1/2 tables, for 10nl, £200 would be a decent figure. If you were playing more tables, would go with a 50 buy in rule, so £500. For tournies £200 would be a good start playing fiver tournies, but would avoid the £10 games till you had built things up a little.
  • edited June 2014

are you any good at cash?? I'm shocking tbf but if mtt's are your game maybe play some lower level small runner  games there are plenty of £1 £2 around and build from there?
  • edited June 2014

You don't need much money to start a bankroll. £30 was enough for me.

• edited June 2014
    Hi Simon,
    I have fired you off a Private Message.
  • edited June 2014
    Thanks for the responses guys
  • edited June 2014

Stick £50 on and play the £2.20 deepstacks and the £2.30 BH's, then tighten up your BRM as your roll increases.

• edited June 2014
    Hi Simon maybe try out the dyms? Check your stats and see what ur winning and continue to play that format until you build up a roll big enough to try other things. 

I used to play elsewhere in low stakes mtt holdem tourneys and although I did quite well I was never too comfortable with the variance on my bankroll.

I joined Sky nearly 3 years ago and I discovered dyms -first holdem then mistakenly joined omaha and have never looked back. 

My advice is to try out the dyms and see how you do as this is the best way to build a bankroll  with lo variance provided the format stimulates you enough!

Ger
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: What initial BR to work off?:
    Hi Simon maybe try out the dyms? Check your stats and see what ur winning and continue to play that format until you build up a roll big enough to try other things.  I used to play elsewhere in low stakes mtt holdem tourneys and although I did quite well I was never too comfortable with the variance on my bankroll. I joined Sky nearly 3 years ago and I discovered dyms -first holdem then mistakenly joined omaha and have never looked back.  My advice is to try out the dyms and see how you do as this is the best way to build a bankroll  with lo variance provided the format stimulates you enough! Ger
    Posted by gerardirl

+1 to this.
  • edited June 2014
    Thought id try out the lower stakes DYM's to start off with. Cashed in 3/3 :)
  • edited June 2014
    Nie one, the rake is very high in very low stakes dyms though so difficult to build a bankroll that way. Id say try the 3 pounders as there isnt really much difference in standard.

Good luck!
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: What initial BR to work off?:
    Nie one, the rake is very high in very low stakes dyms though so difficult to build a bankroll that way. Id say try the 3 pounders as there isnt really much difference in standard. Good luck!
    Posted by gerardirl
    Yes, but the only problem therein is like if you have three defeats in a row, there's like 40% of your roll gone already! not much longevity in that!