You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bankroll for Hyper Hu's

edited June 2014 in Poker Chat
I have started grinding the £5.25 hyper turbo heads up and was wondering what sort of roll i should have/how many buy ins. Cheers

Comments

• edited June 2014
    A good shot would be private messaging 'TeddyBloat' i think. 
  • edited June 2014

Lots!

Depends on a few things specific to you, but I'd say £200 minimum.  
  • edited June 2014
    You can easily run 20 buyins below expectation over even a small sample, so even if you have a decent edge over the player-pool you will need around 40 buy ins. The games are high variance so the bigger your roll the better, even if just for a psychological cushion.

Id really advise shopping around,  though. Thre rake on hypers here is too high. You can find much better rates elsewhere and more action, too.

Good luck.

• edited June 2014
    Thank you all. i only started grinding these yesterday and i was 12 buy ins up and i must have played 60+ games am i right in guessing i was on a bit of a heater and this will not always be the case? Cheers
  • edited June 2014
    12 buyins = £60

/ 60 games = £1 profit per game

= Around a 20% ROI I believe.

This isn't unusual over a small sample, but impossible to sustain over significant sample sizes no matter how good you are.

With the variance of the hyper format, and the rake on here, I'd say a 5% ROI is the absolute maximum you'd be able to achieve long term, more realistically though 2/3% is most likely if you have a significant edge.

So you'll be looking at a maximum potential return of 10/15/20p per game at the £5.25 level.

Still, make the most of the heater while It last because you could easily lose 12 buyins (or more) in your next 60 games without doing a single thing wrong.

gl.
  • edited June 2014
    Thanks Doh. With the variance playing these hyper heads up surely over a large sample you are not gunna make enough profit for it to be worth while? I have tried grinding cash but i am hopeless
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Bankroll for Hyper Hu's:
    Thanks Doh. With the variance playing these hyper heads up surely over a large sample you are not gunna make enough profit for it to be worth while? I have tried grinding cash but i am hopeless
    Posted by SLOWPLAYIN
    Like Doh said if you can achieve a ROI where you are winning 10-20p per game on average then over 1000 games of between £100-£200 - it might not be huge amounts, but if you gradually work your way up as your BI increases you might eventually get to a level where you can afford £55 BI games - where over a 1000 game sample of a winning ROI% might give you a £1000 profit.

So HU SNG's can definitely be profitable if it's something you are really good at them!
  • edited June 2014
    Posted by SLOWPLAYIN
    Assuming you are good enough to sustain the 2/3% ROI that I mentioned above, then it's really up to you how much you make at hypers.

You can calculate your returns based on the number of games you think you can play.

The advantage of HU hyper games is that they are really fast, and fun. You might only expect to win 20pence per game but you can play lots of games in a short pace of time.

I would echo what teddy said about the rake on here, with such small edges, giving up 5% rake is a really big deal and there are other options elsewhere.

If you enjoy the HU format, maybe try looking at the turbo games.

The rake is the same, the games are still quick, but I'd say an ROI up to 8/9/10% is achievable long term.

Having said that, being a small winning player at hypers on here is still better than a losing player at cash.

A lot of players would love to be able to play and have fun whilst winning a few quid here and there. Wether or not it's 'worth while' for you personally is a question only you can answer.
  • edited June 2014
    You can easily run 20 buyins below expectation over even a small sample, so even if you have a decent edge over the player-pool you will need around 40 buy ins. The games are high variance so the bigger your roll the better, even if just for a psychological cushion. Id really advise shopping around,  though. Thre rake on hypers here is too high. You can find much better rates elsewhere and more action, too. Good luck.
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    Teddy the wise!
  • edited June 2014
    I have played aload of these this year and have had some pretty big swings either way, personally I  think a good roll for hypers is between 75-100bi with flexibility in regards to shot taking and dropping down when you need too i.e roll drops to 60 bi drop down stakes and if you get to 110bi take a shot at the next level up.