You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

MY BIG BLIND!!

edited July 2009 in Poker Chat

WHY DO PEOPLE REFER TO THE BB AS " THEIRS"... AND DONT TRY AND "STEAL" MY BB.... PLAYED A GUY THE OTHER DAY AND HE WENT ON AND ON AND ON SAYING DONT STEAL MY BB AND I WILL RERAISE IF U ATTACK MY BB!!! WHEN ARE PEOPLE GOING TO REALISE IT IS NOT "THEIRS"  AS IT IS THE POTS THE MOMENT A HAND STARTS.... IM ALL FOR BLIND STEALING AND PROTECTING BUT DRIVES ME INSANE WHEN PEOPLE SAY ITS THEIR BLIND!!!! ANYWAY RANT OVER... LET ME PLAY AND STEAL "YOUR" BLIND ;-)

Comments

• edited July 2009
    In Response to MY BIG BLIND!!:
    WHY DO PEOPLE REFER TO THE BB AS " THEIRS"... AND DONT TRY AND "STEAL" MY BB.... PLAYED A GUY THE OTHER DAY AND HE WENT ON AND ON AND ON SAYING DONT STEAL MY BB AND I WILL RERAISE IF U ATTACK MY BB!!! WHEN ARE PEOPLE GOING TO REALISE IT IS NOT "THEIRS"  AS IT IS THE POTS THE MOMENT A HAND STARTS.... IM ALL FOR BLIND STEALING AND PROTECTING BUT DRIVES ME INSANE WHEN PEOPLE SAY ITS THEIR BLIND!!!! ANYWAY RANT OVER... LET ME PLAY AND STEAL "YOUR" BLIND ;-)
    Posted by jimbo31

Jimbo, i will nearly always defend my bb, and especialy if anyone min raises it.  i will call out of principle to a min raise not to mention that im getting good odds.  Sorry mate, but it is MY blind and i wont have it stolen unless it is stolen properly.

• edited July 2009
    I'm with Jimbo here.

Defend the Blinds if you wish, but once you Post the Blinds, they are no longer yours - they are there to be attacked by whoever so desires.

Defending Blinds is fine, but more players lose more chips defending Blinds than anything else. The players playing the Blinds are OOP, & so immediately at a huge disadvantage, & are being reactive, not pro-active. This is bad.

I ATTACK Blinds, because I have Position, but I rarely Defend for the sake of it, because my first pre-requisite for entering a Pot is to do so on my terms, when I want to, & with Position, & not when someone "makes me" & all the trade winds are against me.
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: MY BIG BLIND!!:
    I'm with Jimbo here. Defend the Blinds if you wish, but once you Post the Blinds, they are no longer yours - they are there to be attacked by whoever so desires. Defending Blinds is fine, but more players lose more chips defending Blinds than anything else. The players playing the Blinds are OOP, & so immediately at a huge disadvantage, & are being reactive, not pro-active. This is bad. I ATTACK Blinds, because I have Position, but I rarely Defend for the sake of it, because my first pre-requisite for entering a Pot is to do so on my terms, when I want to, & with Position, & not when someone "makes me" & all the trade winds are against me.
    Posted by Tikay10
    So when someone is constantly attacking your blind every round without fail, you will never defend with junk to make a point? Im sorry but i have to defend if people are taking the micky, i know they have position and i know that im likely to bleed chips this way, and this is probably a weakness in my game, but i sometimes i say enough is enough!  Perhaps i will learn one day and give up every blind with a smile, even to a pathetic min raise.

• edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: MY BIG BLIND!! : So when someone is constantly attacking your blind every round without fail, you will never defend with junk to make a point? Im sorry but i have to defend if people are taking the micky, i know they have position and i know that im likely to bleed chips this way, and this is probably a weakness in my game, but i sometimes i say enough is enough!  Perhaps i will learn one day and give up every blind with a smile, even to a pathetic min raise.
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Think outside the conventional box Greg.

Don't DEFEND them, PLAY BACK at them, if they are being serial-aggro.

DEFENCE is bad poker. ATTACK is good poker. DEFENDING is -ev. ATTACKING is +ev.

Why choose to defend, & choose to play on the back foot? Get on the front foot, & play on your Terms, not someone else's.
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: MY BIG BLIND!! : When i say i defend i dont mean i just flat call and then fold on the flop to the C bet. I mean i re-pop pre with any 2 to try to get them to fold. If they flat call my pre flop reraise i will bet out strong on the flop (texture dependant) and try to take it down. Or even check raise bluff if i have enough chips in relation to their stack:) Giving too much away here methinks...
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Hi Greg m8, trouble is, everyone knows you defend the big blind like mad, so its a bit of a tell
  • edited July 2009
    ya tikay said it all, if someone keeps on raising my blind then I keep on 3betting them until they get the picture that my blinds are not to be stolen :)
  • edited July 2009
    ya tikay said it all, if someone keeps on raising my blind then I keep on 3betting them until they get the picture that my blinds are not to be stolen :)
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Spot-on. "Defending", OOP, is the short-cut to the poor-house.
  • edited July 2009
    In the early stages of a tourney it's usually best to just let them go. If you don't defend when you get to the final table though, you've effectively thrown in the towel and will be eaten alive.
    23s, 47o, it doesn't matter, sometimes you've just got to move in with this from the big blind, especially against a serial button raiser. If you do run into a big hand then you're never as bad off as people think. E.g 23s is about 38% against AK.

• edited July 2009
    TIKAY,,,, THANK U.... AT LAST SOMEONE AGREES...BLINDS ARE IN THE POT END OF... AS TIKAY EXPLAINED PERFECTLY ABOVE...PEOPLE BECOME ATTACHED  TO THEIR "BLINDS"... WHICH LONG TERM LOSES THEM CHIPS. HENCE THE EV VALUATION... U NEED TO GET SOME KIND OF SEMI READ REGARDING BLIND PLAY... AND IF U ALWAYS GO WITH THE MENTALITY OF "I MUST PROTECT MY BB" THEN LONG TERM IT IS A LOSING PLAY.....IT IS HARD..BUT TRY IT... EVEN IF LOW STAKES... BELIEVE ME U GET A DIFFERENT FEEL FOR THE TABLE AND THE GAME!;-))))
  • edited July 2009
    If I had the Aces, Kings, Queens, suited connectors or possibly Jacks, then, I would want to at least see a flop, and depending on what the flop brought, I could then re-evaluate my hand.

For instance there has been min raise in earlier position and I am sat with Ac Ah, I would consider a re-raise to say 230, imo that would probably be enough to scare off most weak hands, if I got a caller and the flop went Ad 8c 3h, I would either say thank you I am happy with whats in the pot, I am "All in" I am MASSIVE, if it is late in a tourny and the blinds are big, or early, then slow play mode.

But if couse should a flop hit 5c 6h 7h and there is a raise, then bye bye Aces.
  • edited July 2009
    oh dear..jimbo blind v blind action is the one way for a loss of chips..ive learnt not to defend my bb with very marginal hands ill re raise with hnds such as a/7 upwards,k/10 or better,any pp,or suited connectors ,i rarely naver call to a raise on my bb fold or re raise them..ive found it works too my advantage..hope your well m8 b lukky