You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Any help on this hand would be appreciated! did i not bet strong enough?

edited June 2014 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceraywSmall blind 10.0010.003830.00Dk0183Big blind 20.0030.003950.00 Your hole cardsQQ   bradfordpaFold    font8aFold    5kyRimmerRaise 120.00150.001800.00wulliemanFold    raywCall 110.00260.003720.00Dk0183Fold    Flop  310Q   raywCheck    5kyRimmerBet 140.00400.001660.00raywCall 140.00540.003580.00Turn  7   raywCheck    5kyRimmerBet 580.001120.001080.00raywCall 580.001700.003000.00River  A   raywCheck    5kyRimmerCheck    raywShow93   5kyRimmerMuckQQ   raywWinFlush to the Ace1700.00 4700.00

Comments

• edited June 2014
    I think you played the hand perfectly

Good size betting all the way through and a solid check behind on river!

• edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Any help on this hand would be appreciated! did i not bet strong enough?:
    I think you played the hand perfectly Good size betting all the way through and a solid check behind on river!
    Posted by Nuggy962
    Thanks Nuggy, good to know :)
  • edited June 2014
    Dont like pre flop size or turn bet size. Love the check behind though considering stack sizes
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Any help on this hand would be appreciated! did i not bet strong enough?:
    Dont like pre flop size or turn bet size. Love the check behind though considering stack sizes
    Posted by Matt237
    Thanks Mat, i think on the turn i was trying to suck him in. would it not have been just a straight fold if the pre flop bet was bigger? i suppose i would have at least won the pot then...
  • edited June 2014
    We don't want to vary our pre flop sizes according to our hand strength because good players will get away so easily if they have this read. 
  • edited June 2014
    We don't want to vary our pre flop sizes according to our hand strength because good players will get away so easily if they have this read. 
    Posted by Matt237
    Ok Mat, thanks for your input :)
  • edited June 2014
    I think I might shove the river.

Villain has peeled a very large opening bet. The board has the A, Q and 10 of spades on it by the river, which doesn't leave too many realistic drawing hands that the villain can have....I'm sure KJs would've pumped it up at some point, ditto for the other combo draw of 89s. KJo is getting a very poor price on the turn...but this is Sky ;)

I think sometimes we'll walk into the flush or straight, but more often we're looking at sets and 2 pairs....that A on the river could be a great card as AQ/A10 ain't gonna pass for the rest of our stack, likewise 33/77/1010 and maybe Q10.
  • edited June 2014
    Looking at opponents hand and how he played you probably got close to maximum value for your equity when good and lost as little as possible after going behind.
  • edited June 2014
    I think u played the hand perfectly, but I think I go bigger on turn purely because if the board bricks out we wanna be playing for stacks by river, also I love the river c/b every combo has got there bar j9 and I dont think 1 or 2 pair will ever be calling river jam on such a wet board! wp sir just unlucky
  • edited June 2014
    Thanks for all the great feedback guys :)
  • edited June 2014
    I think u played the hand perfectly, but I think I go bigger on turn purely because if the board bricks out we wanna be playing for stacks by river, also I love the river c/b every combo has got there bar j9 and I dont think 1 or 2 pair will ever be calling river jam on such a wet board! wp sir just unlucky
    Posted by K8LOU
    How much bigger do you want to go on the turn? He's already overbet the pot! A bet of 350/400 still allows us to play for stacks on the river.

Still think there are merits to shove this river vs certain villains, looks like I'm in the minority though ;)
  • edited June 2014

No need to overbet the turn, we can bet 485 or something and still comfortably shove river. 

..... Which I would be doing even on this card !!!
  • edited June 2014
    Yeah pre-flop sizing is not standard but if you've got people calling with garbage to a 6x as much as a 3x then go for it. 

Flop sizing could be bigger - it's a drawy board and someone has called 6x pre so they're probably pretty fishy. If they're calling a half pot bet then they're probably calling a 3/4 or maybe a full pot bet. Turn sizing is OK... pretty much bet as much as you think they will call (so long as that bet is substantial to give drawing hands a bad price, which this bet was) - river is close. What game is this? Just a standard tournament? There might be some value to be had but it's pretty marginal and 1000 chips left is still plenty... so I think I check back too.
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Any help on this hand would be appreciated! did i not bet strong enough? : How much bigger do you want to go on the turn? He's already overbet the pot! A bet of 350/400 still allows us to play for stacks on the river. Still think there are merits to shove this river vs certain villains, looks like I'm in the minority though ;)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Agree with this but i would be checking behind too as that smashes his range after turn call. Think far too often they're gunna have it. Think some 2ps/sets would jam that overbet, with the assumption of this being low/micro stakes?
  • edited June 2014
    extremely standard bet bet shove