You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

labeling ur oppositition

In Response to Re: labeling ur oppositition:
Mostly garbage in online play this. I've seen a few of these - sometimes they're called Tuna and Seabass or whatever, but whatever they call them, take it mostly with a pinch of salt. The fact is, in online play you just don't know what your opponent is thinking about THIS hand in THIS position at THIS time. He could be getting a beer, putting the kids to bed......all sorts. I agree that you should play the player and not the cards, but putting people in pigeonholes like this is detrimental and often silly tbh.
Posted by BigBluster
I agree and disagree with this post BigBluster, I agree that trying to label opponents in strict and certain areas is wrong, just think someone earlier on could play real loose and wild to try and fool you before tighting up later and taking pots with plays cause you can't read him at all and vice versa. Also like you said with online play they can be getting a drink or whatever which could affect their timings and anything, a break of concentration can cause mistakes.

Where I disagree with you is saying that you should never play the cards, well this might be the fact that I am a maths undergraduate but personally I feel that playing the cards can be just as important as playing the player. Yes I agree if you sense your opponent is weak and trying to get bets through cheaply or see more cards cheaply then to play the player possibly regardless of cards in hand, but this can come to bite you in the rear, with trappers and slow players and players who purposely act weak to get you to make these plays, so also playing the cards minimises your loses by making your plays within limits of your cards, for example if you have rubbish only do a resonable size bet one that would get rid of most but might get a slight call and if it happens well you get away cheaply, and if you have good cards you can afford to bet a little more with the assurance that your cards are still good if you run into a hand.

Hope this makes sense its just how I feel personally that the cards can be as important as what the players patterns are telling you.

Also I aint telling people not to take notes and categorize people, notes are great but you got to be prepared that can change their play at anytime and categories can prove to be wrong if this does happen but starting out especially it can be a good idea

Spike2120

Comments