You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Leaderboard Updates...

edited June 2014 in Poker Chat
All right, so long story short, I was fired on Tuesday, under the smokescreen of 'not being able to perform the duties of the job'. It turns out - although they have not said and will not say - that because I had worked there shy of two years (July 4th would have been the anniversary) they were able to get rid of me without too much hassle. Unfair dismissal is much more difficult to claim under these relatively new guidelines that state, after April 2012 you must be in employment for two years before you can do so... all of which explains why they didn't and couldn't give me a better reason for my termination than 'not being able to perform the duties of the job', which coincidentally, is the exact way it was phrased on the website detailing these things.

So, the point of this post - I kept the leaderboard updates on my computer at work and since I was frogmarched out of the building on Tuesday I have had to go back and use an old version on my laptop to rebuild it. Hence why there has been no update for a week or so. I am slowly - in amongst trying to find another job - getting it back up to speed, and I think I should have the updated figures posted by the end of the weekend.

Anyways, good luck at the tables folks. I'm still watching you...

Comments

• edited June 2014
    :( hugs from Ducky
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Leaderboard Updates...:
    All right, so long story short, I was fired on Tuesday, under the smokescreen of 'not being able to perform the duties of the job'. It turns out - although they have not said and will not say - that because I had worked there shy of two years (July 4th would have been the anniversary) they were able to get rid of me without too much hassle. Unfair dismissal is much more difficult to claim under these relatively new guidelines that state, after April 2012 you must be in employment for two years before you can do so... all of which explains why they didn't and couldn't give me a better reason for my termination than 'not being able to perform the duties of the job', which coincidentally, is the exact way it was phrased on the website detailing these things. So, the point of this post - I kept the leaderboard updates on my computer at work and since I was frogmarched out of the building on Tuesday I have had to go back and use an old version on my laptop to rebuild it. Hence why there has been no update for a week or so. I am slowly - in amongst trying to find another job - getting it back up to speed, and I think I should have the updated figures posted by the end of the weekend. Anyways, good luck at the tables folks. I'm still watching you...
    Posted by Slipwater

ffs, what complete and utter cants!  

whats the company called?? 

• edited June 2014
    Sorry to hear that m8.  Good luck with the job hunting.
  • edited June 2014
    anyone know what the law says on this sort of thing? I'd think they would have to go into more detail than you are unable to perform your duties.... what duties? why? what have the done to help you with your difficulties? 

I'd imagine all of these questions should be answered or you may still have a case and due some compensation??
  • edited June 2014
    Perhaps you having the spreadsheet of Sky Poker players on your work computer was one of the reasons they got rid of you?
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Leaderboard Updates...:
    Perhaps you having the spreadsheet of Sky Poker players on your work computer was one of the reasons they got rid of you?
    Posted by FCHD
    Haha - doubtful. That's why we had a personal drive space. Ultimately, it's just a spreadsheet. I also had lots of stories on there, and they ain't sacking you for a word document either.
  • edited June 2014
    Posted by FCHD
    Well done

Winner of worst/most unpleasant post of the day
  • edited June 2014
    Sorry, it wasn't intended that way. I was once "let go" by any employer for having personal data on a work PC.
  • edited June 2014
    ewwww, thats horrible, best of luck finding a new job bud
  • edited June 2014
    Posted by FCHD
    Perhaps comments like that aren't appreciated after he's just lost his job?
  • edited June 2014
    Sorry to hear about your dismissal mate some employers use this get out a lot the Tory's extended this time from 1 year to 2 they would extend it further if they could get away with it enough about politics tho. Unfortunately as you thought there is nothing you can do about it unless you believe the dismissal was on the grounds of se x, race, gender or age discrimination. As someone who has gone to tribunals many times to defend sacked workers I know how difficult it is to get a result and reinstatement.

If I was to give advice to someone in your position it would be try and get as good a reference from your previous employer as possible obviously for future employment purposes its pointless kicking up a stink unless you are a trade union member then get them to do it on your behalf.

Good luck with the job hunting mate and just to keep a poker element in this post keep up the good work with the leader board thread.

If you would like to discuss this post with me PM me and I will give you my phone number I am semi retired now but the law on this is pretty much the same as when I was working.

Ray

• edited June 2014
    Just to add you should have the right to appeal the dismissal to a more senior figure than that which dismissed you but only you know if that would be worth the effort.