You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Dont bet on the 'in play' markets

edited January 2010 in The Shed

Hey loony - U love ya darts betting dont ya! haha - I dont recognise manyt faces from the BBC darts, they've all converted to the sky darts ant they. Makes sense for Hankey and Adams to stick to BBC though winning a small top prize is better than getting nocked out in the first round on sky for probably quarter final prize money on the BBC!

Anyway, Im gonna gatecrash ya thread, and u probably be able to help me - Ur above prob got me thinking about in race betting on the horses...

Heard BIG MAC n THE FEMALE say a horse touched 150/1 in running...stuff like this...on betfair....how do people have time to lay some odds, hit it through the comp, give time for people to look and place a bet, surely this takes around 30 seconds...and some races only last a minute! it cud have gone from last to first or even fell over in the time it takes to place the bet?

Anyone ever done this? or even use betfair in genral? When ur givin odds for a bet, say I wanted to offer 12/1 on England chasing down the 550 SA are gunna set us today....Could anyone come forward and stick 100 quid on it? or could I limit the maximum stake?

Cheerz Betting Boffins! lol

DOHH

Comments

• edited January 2010
    In Response to Dont bet on the 'in play' markets:
    19:35:41  Thanks for contacting Sky Bet Chat. An advisor will be with you shortly........ 19:35:41  Jack has joined this session! 19:35:41  Connected with Jack 19:35:41  Hi robert, my name's Jack. How can I help you today? 19:37:55  i placed an in play bet on the darts, hankey to win with throw @1/3 £30, i placed it before a dart was thrown and he won,now the bet says void on my account, does this mean it was too late? 19:40:21  I'm afar id it would have been to late. 19:40:27  *afraid 19:42:22  thats ok i just thought id won thats all, however i know it was b4 the game and in play it changes quick, thx anyway but dont think i'll bet in play anymore 19:44:22  ok thx anyways bye 19:46:27  soz im off cant sit here waiting all night off to skypoker placed a bet in play b4 start, and waited ages to get paid, it wins and they void it, they gave my bet back, but wonder if they would have if the bet had lost, and i was definately 'on' before the off. Im not that bothered about the £10 win, but if you look at the times on the chat, im left sitting there for 6 mins talking to myself, god it was like being at home lol. Moral of the story to all players - dont bet in play because they cant keep up with the pace and i reckon you could be out of pocket!! Just one more point, this has nothing to do with skypoker, they seem a lot better at resolving disputes, just thought everyone should beware of the in play markets thats all
    Posted by loonytoons
    i bet footy,darts,tennis in play and have found that  you have 2 pay  really close attention 2 what u r betting on,
    in ur rush 2 get ur money on u might actually be betting on the next leg or set or game or even 2/3/4 games down the line,u might be betting on a leg or set that might never happen because the match wud have already be won(stake returns),ladbrokes is particularly good at making it look less obvious just 2 catch the unsuspecting(me) out.they also have a 12 second countdown b4 the footy bet is'layed'which has me pulling my hair out when it doesnt go thru,cos theyv re-evaluated the market..but in play can be  excellent  for money making,or hedging bets..leeds beating man utd 1-0,price 4 leeds to win with 30 mins 2 go 2/1, springs to mind,altho once or twice nearly hedged the draw..
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Dont bet on the 'in play' markets:
    Hey loony - U love ya darts betting dont ya! haha - I dont recognise manyt faces from the BBC darts, they've all converted to the sky darts ant they. Makes sense for Hankey and Adams to stick to BBC though winning a small top prize is better than getting nocked out in the first round on sky for probably quarter final prize money on the BBC! Anyway, Im gonna gatecrash ya thread, and u probably be able to help me - Ur above prob got me thinking about in race betting on the horses... Heard BIG MAC n THE FEMALE say a horse touched 150/1 in running...stuff like this...on betfair....how do people have time to lay some odds, hit it through the comp, give time for people to look and place a bet, surely this takes around 30 seconds...and some races only last a minute! it cud have gone from last to first or even fell over in the time it takes to place the bet? Anyone ever done this? or even use betfair in genral? When ur givin odds for a bet, say I wanted to offer 12/1 on England chasing down the 550 SA are gunna set us today....Could anyone come forward and stick 100 quid on it? or could I limit the maximum stake? Cheerz Betting Boffins! lol DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Betfair allows you to bet (and "lay") at whatever odds you want for whatever amount you want (min stake £2, I think). If you make these bets for an in-play market before the event has started (and they have not been matched) they are general cancelled at the start of the event. When you make an unmatched bet anyone can take those odds.
    It is used by major bookmakers to lay their bets to reduce their liability.
    "In play" betting is simple but there is an inbuilt delay of 5 seconds (I think) before a placed bet is accepted so as to reduce any advantage of "on-course" betting (I presume).
    I frequently make in-play bets on sporting events and by hedging your bets in events where the possible result fluctuates it is generally possible to have a guaranteed profit whatever the result.
    If you want to know more, PM me.
  • edited January 2010
    Yeh mere but when i placed the bet it said bet accepted, it was b4 the leg started, they took the £30 out, normally it says betting suspended after the deadline, and i know i wasnt. Anyhow it just said for 20 mins bet settled 'N', i was waiting then it said void. Was thinking, would they have voided the bet if it had lost - i dont think so and i know i wouldnt have contacted them last night and said ' hey guys, give me my money back, i know it lost but it was placed too late lol' i would have thought hankey you idiot lol. I just really think they are at there work so to speak, you know heads i win tails you lose!!
  • edited January 2010
    Yeh mere but when i placed the bet it said bet accepted, it was b4 the leg started, they took the £30 out, normally it says betting suspended after the deadline, and i know i wasnt. Anyhow it just said for 20 mins bet settled 'N', i was waiting then it said void. Was thinking, would they have voided the bet if it had lost - i dont think so and i know i wouldnt have contacted them last night and said ' hey guys, give me my money back, i know it lost but it was placed too late lol' i would have thought hankey you idiot lol. I just really think they are at there work so to speak, you know heads i win tails you lose!!
    Posted by loonytoons

hey loony,

we are all one company here so i can assure you no foul play took place at Sky Bet. i can investigate this for you though and see if i can get hold of some sort of explanation. let me know if this is something you want me to do.

all the best,

Rich
  • edited January 2010
    Posted by loonytoons
    That's obviously an issue between you and SkyBet - I really can't comment on that but I wish you luck in trying to resolve it.
    I was just relating my experiences on Betfair.
  • edited January 2010
    hopefully this should all be sorted now. i've sent you a couple of PMs loonytoons.
  • edited January 2010
    thanks rich, all id like to say is to people to be sure that when your betting, both parties understand what your betting on especially on in play markets.