You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Correct play to get it in here??

edited July 2014 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
72DEALER Small blind  15.00 15.00 2830.00
ShaunyT Big blind  30.00 45.00 2365.00
  Your hole cards

rhinos2821 Call  30.00 75.00 4115.00
modesta123 Fold     
wanturmo28 Fold     
acerowe Fold     
72DEALER Call  15.00 90.00 2815.00
ShaunyT Raise  90.00 180.00 2275.00
rhinos2821 Call  90.00 270.00 4025.00
72DEALER Call  90.00 360.00 2725.00
Flop

• J

72DEALER Check     
ShaunyT Bet  180.00 540.00 2095.00
rhinos2821 Fold     
72DEALER Raise  390.00 930.00 2335.00
ShaunyT All-in  2095.00 3025.00 0.00
72DEALER All-in  2335.00 5360.00 0.00
72DEALER Unmatched bet  450.00 4910.00 450.00
72DEALER Show
  • J

ShaunyT Show

Turn

• K

River

ShaunyT Win Straight to the 9 4910.00  4910.

Comments

• edited June 2014
    Personally and please take this with a pinch of salt as I will be interested with other peoples more detailed insights.

I wouldnt have raised pre personally, I think the bet on the flop is fine and would flat call his raise to see  the turn.Not sure about the all in even though I know you have a number of outs but at the same time you could quite easily hit some air and been out.

Worked out well for you - you may have played it perfectly and the way i would play it may be very wrong, think i am just cautious with the all in with suited connectors as I have missed so many times
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: Correct play to get it in here??:
    Personally and please take this with a pinch of salt as I will be interested with other peoples more detailed insights.  I wouldnt have raised pre personally, I think the bet on the flop is fine and would flat call his raise to see  the turn.Not sure about the all in even though I know you have a number of outs but at the same time you could quite easily hit some air and been out. Worked out well for you - you may have played it perfectly and the way i would play it may be very wrong, think i am just cautious with the all in with suited connectors as I have missed so many times
    Posted by CardiffAce
    appreciate the comment mate. the reason I raised pre was because of a short stack which induces limpers. and if im involved in the pot im raising and trying to put people on hands.
  • edited June 2014
    Totally agree there mate, ive been caught a few times doing that though. Especially going all in with the possibility of a striaght/flush.

Played out well for you though so happy days
  • edited June 2014
    yeah, its personal choice. just checked odds calculator and I was actually ahead!! 52/45 lol
  • edited June 2014
    Yeah I'm not sure I want to be raising 67s out of position, will be hard to make it a winning play in the long term. Most of the time you'll miss flop / flop one pair and then have done 270 chips (about 10% of stack)... more if you aren't a believer of the check / raise and continue with your one pair hands.

If they fold pre or to a cbet then you pick up 60 chips (barely 2% to your stack) so the risk doesn't really seem worth it.  May change if in position as it makes it a bit less risky to try and take it down post flop.

The check/raise makes things a bit more confusing, unless you know the player well then I'd say TPWK is the very bottom of the range. Not sure how much equity you have versus a range that will often be 2 pair or sets in the position (or better flush draws).

That said, if you are raising small suited connectors from the BB then it's probably standard to get it in asap with an OESFD lol!
  • edited June 2014
    I don't think that there is anything wrong in raising pre with 67s from the big blind, especially with no other raise. Not only do you give yourself a chance to win the pot there and then but you also widen your range so that you are able to be the aggressor on A or K high flops.

I do agree with ShakinAces though, at 15/30 blinds you have to wonder whether there are enough chips in the middle to make it a worthwhile play vs the risk attached, especially given the tendency of players to call early pre-flop with a wide range of hands.

After that the hand plays itself, you have such a strong hand with the open ended straight flush draw that you can be as aggressive as you like. Though, in my opinion, 72Dealer should probably have folded to your raise preflop and never put themselves in that position.
  • edited June 2014
    Would be wrong wrong wrong not to get it in on this flop.

Think the play pre and beyond is absolutely fine. In fact, I commend it, much better than just making up the blind IMO.
  • edited June 2014

FWIW, the only hand you're in poor shape against is specifically Jx of diamonds. Perhaps 910d too ;)

A better flush draw rules out our flush equity but is offset somewhat by having live cards along with the straight. We're very much live vs any sets/top pair hands.

• edited June 2014
    I don't like the raise pre. I don't think bloating the pot oop with this hand is going to be profitable long term. We're certainly not getting rid off any of the limpers here. 
    If we were playing cash I'd like it though.

As played I'd rather eat my own knee than not get it in here. :)
  • edited June 2014
    The hand is played perfectly imo.
  • edited June 2014
    Think its fine to gii here, you have raised pre and you have hit the flop hard albeit it being a big draw, dont like raising pre as we have to c/f tons of flops when oop, another thing is you wont find many players with half of brain cell too stack off with j7 in this spot so over time I dont think you will make money raising pre here but nh sir!
  • edited July 2014
    When you went all-in I would have put you on trips and folded.
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Correct play to get it in here??:
    When you went all-in I would have put you on trips and folded.
    Posted by northy_001
    I wouldn't have folded J7 because I think he has just trips/set.....I'd have folded (or not played J7) for a number of reasons!
  • edited July 2014
    Pre meh idk, I might just limp behind but it's ok. Not sure when you raise a cbet will work enough early in a tournament

Flop you should definitely flat raise imo. You are getting 4.5/1 direct odds, you are ip so implied odds should be decent too. Generally when limpcallers get aggro postflop they don't intend folding, and though you aren't in bad shape ever you are a slight favourite at best. It should be more profitable to play through the streets imo