You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

made a pigs ear of this one

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
bert1984 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £4.62
burtyboy Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £11.05
  Your hole cards
  • Q

villian Call  £0.10 £0.25 £10.27
Park29 Call  £0.10 £0.35 £10.36
ricoramb03 Fold     
G00N3R Fold     
bert1984 Call  £0.05 £0.40 £4.57
burtyboy Check     
Flop

• Q

bert1984 Check     
burtyboy Check     
villian Bet  £0.20 £0.60 £10.07
Park29 Call  £0.20 £0.80 £10.16
bert1984 Fold     
burtyboy Raise  £0.40 £1.20 £10.65
villian Raise  £0.40 £1.60 £9.67
Park29 Fold     
burtyboy Raise  £1.10 £2.70 £9.55
villian Call  £0.90 £3.60 £8.77
Turn

• A

burtyboy All-in  £9.55 £13.15 £0.00
villian All-in  £8.77 £21.92 £0.00
burtyboy Unmatched bet  £0.78 £21.14 £0.78
burtyboy Show
  • Q

villian Show

River
how should i have played this hand, history is the op had played a couple of very loose hands previously, i had been at the table for some time playing a tight game, doubling my stack by taking a few small pots, tried to push with a big hand putting my op on a bare queen but came unstuck.

Comments

• edited January 2010

Its just unlucky. The flop action is auwful though, bet, raise, raise, raise, n the pot is only £3.60 after all that? I dnt get these tiny raises, they only work if your opponent has a monster! - Would you ever make a bet/plays like this with other hands? top pair? mid pair? draw? bluff? - I doubt it, the bets should mean something.

Most of the time your top 2 is winning, you wanna bet it strongl/properly and get some money in here while you are pretty sure you have the best hand. The turn comes an ace, all of a sudden a scare card, and you go all in straight a way! - 3 times the pot.....(cnt think of a hand here that you can beat, that will call you....maybe queen 5? - QK JQ TQ run a mile with the ace....AQ snaps...)

Ur actions dont add up its like you were trying to get 20p's in the middle on the flop when ur happy ur winning, and when the ace comes which makes alot of better 2 pairs, you shove the lot in coz you kinda arent so sure, shouldn't it be the other way round? (not saying go all in on the flop, just bet/raise standard amounts)

As for the hand itself, it was always going in, theres nothing you can do there, was unlucky - Maybe a club turn slows it down, but I doubt this was in your thought process - u were confident you were winning right?

Stronger bets needed tho I think, not only to protect your hand, but to build a pot, and also not give your game away.

DOHH
  • edited January 2010
    Hi Burtyboy

1stly there is a rule in poker which suggests you should never go broke in an unraised pot unless you are holding a really strong hand, your hand is pretty strong here but in a multi way pot I'm not sure I'm going to want to get all my cash in on the turn here especially when the ace hits.
    Assigning an opponent a range in this instance is difficult as its a limped pot, but I imagine as its £10nl it could be anything from hands that beat us AQ/A8/88/55 to hands that we beat Q5/58/QK/QJ. The bet sizes on the flop are really bad make it at least £1 to the 20p donk bet, especially with a flush draw on the flop and a few suited connector hands flopping a straight draw 76/74/910/J10. Given the way the hand is played I'm probably putting my opponent on a set or a lower two pair possibly AQ, so this makes the turn shove really bad when you shove £9.55 into a pot of £3.60 I don't see anyone calling off worse than what you have, even though this is low stakes and people don't usually fold anything. I think you should bet around £2.75 on the turn and if you get raised fold your hand if not I will happily valuebet a safe river.
  • edited January 2010
    thanks for that, my intention was to check raise the flop if someone hit and bet, thinking i can drag a few more bob for what i reckoned was top hand, when the ace came on the turn i didn't consider it would alter my ops hand as i'd already put them firmly on the Q i shoved all in thinking i would take it down there and then i.e the Q folds to the ace but if i get a call i'm quids in! i guess the long and the short of it was i was putting my money in on this hand either with a bet or a call, just a matter of when.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: made a pigs ear of this one:
    Hi Burtyboy 1stly there is a rule in poker which suggests you should never go broke in an unraised pot unless you are holding a really strong hand, your hand is pretty strong here but in a multi way pot I'm not sure I'm going to want to get all my cash in on the turn here especially when the ace hits. Assigning an opponent a range in this instance is difficult as its a limped pot, but I imagine as its £10nl it could be anything from hands that beat us AQ/A8/88/55 to hands that we beat Q5/58/QK/QJ. The bet sizes on the flop are really bad make it at least £1 to the 20p donk bet, especially with a flush draw on the flop and a few suited connector hands flopping a straight draw 76/74/910/J10. Given the way the hand is played I'm probably putting my opponent on a set or a lower two pair possibly AQ, so this makes the turn shove really bad when you shove £9.55 into a pot of £3.60 I don't see anyone calling off worse than what you have, even though this is low stakes and people don't usually fold anything. I think you should bet around £2.75 on the turn and if you get raised fold your hand if not I will happily valuebet a safe river.
    Posted by lJAMESl
    this is my nemisis at the mo, i can sit for hours on these low stake tables waiting for the right hand in the right position just adding a bit to my stack as i go but then i'll get involved in a hand like this and do my stack, my hand histrory shows that i've done this exact same thing on every loosing table since moving from  DYM  to cash, i've yet to come away down when i've not risked all my cash on one hand trying to push with the big hand against loose callers, as many say you should but i've not been well up either, just maybe double what i sat down with.