You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Hyper HU SNG's advice please

edited July 2014 in Poker Chat
I mainly play Mtt's on this site but with them drying up at this time of year I thought I would learn how to play some heads-up sit n go's. I tried out all the variants and definitely prefer the Hypers. I did some research, watched a few videos and got some advice and for the last few days have been trying to grind as many as possible..

The advice I am after is...

What's a decent sample size to see how well I am doing?
What ROI is required to "beat" the level you are playing at?
How many buy-ins should I have to play at a certain level? (currently decided on 200)

And any other advice you can offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• edited July 2014
    5% would be a good roi for hypers over a large sample size
  • edited July 2014

1000 games is a good sample size playing a certain level to guage how you are doing.

A couple of regular HU sit and go players on the site played 1000 games at a certain level before moving up to the next level.

5%/7% is a very decent ROI over a large sample size.

If you are going to play these regularly, it would also be worthwhile looking what is available else where, eg less rake than the 5% on sky.

• edited July 2014
    Thanks for the advice, I have spoken to a few people away from the forum and most of the advice correlates quite well, I've only played just over 200 over the last 7 days but have managed to get an roi of 25% so if i can hold a 15-20% roi over 1000 then i think i may give these a go more seriously.
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Hyper HU SNG's advice please:
    Thanks for the advice, I have spoken to a few people away from the forum and most of the advice correlates quite well, I've only played just over 200 over the last 7 days but have managed to get an roi of 25% so if i can hold a 15-20% roi over 1000 then i think i may give these a go more seriously.
    Posted by jordz16
    This wont happen!

Unless u run like bawfizzle on a heater. Even then you'd probably still fall 10% short.

anything 2/3/4%+ on here is awesome.
  • edited July 2014
    yeah maybe I have over extended myself on that estimation... i still think i would like to try and go for 10% plus even though its very unlikely I believe in aiming high!
  • edited July 2014
    Agree with dohhhh for once. 

Look at sharkscope leaderboards for hu hypers between $16-35. The top player by profit has an roi of 4.9% with a sample size just under 70,000 games. 

20% is just not sustainable. 
  • edited July 2014
    get ready for the variance, jordz.

lets say you are a 55% winner. pretty damn solid if you are.

here are 3 random simulations of expected results over a 300 game sample given an expected 55% win rate at £10.50 level:

edges are slight in hypers, and volume is where its at.

• edited July 2014
    get ready for the variance, jordz. lets say you are a 55% winner. pretty damn solid if you are. here are 3 random simulations of expected results over a 300 game sample given an expected 55% win rate at £10.50 level: edges are slight in hypers, and volume is where its at.
    Posted by TeddyBloat

Im waiting for the pics to be approved before i can properly answer. I completely agree that variance is a big, big part of it but i believe there is often a very big edge over the average player in these hypers, against other regs of course its a lot more minimal
  • edited July 2014
    i agree there is edge, i wouldnt play them otherwise and these are my main game. but at 25bb it aint all that, and that's when we are deeeep.

essentially winning will come down to shoving / calling as a small favorite. even people with terrible ranges will win a significant % of the time.

the edge is pretty small, but repeatable and we can crucially get volume in.

all im saying is dont get disheartened by a losing spell. you can play perfectly against terrible players and lose buy in after buy in

one last pic to show variance at work. the following is a graph of  a guy who charges $175 an hour to coach hypers

over  a 9000+ game sample he managed to run $28,000 below ev.

for those uninitiated the orange line shows what his expected winning would be on average. say if he got AA in v KK his ev line would go up for 80% of the pot. he essentially got his money in good but ran horrendously over a fairly significant sample.
  • edited July 2014
    i agree there is edge, i wouldnt play them otherwise and these are my main game. but at 25bb it aint all that, and that's when we are deeeep. essentially winning will come down to shoving / calling as a small favorite. even people with terrible ranges will win a significant % of the time. the edge is pretty small, but repeatable and we can crucially get volume in. all im saying is dont get disheartened by a losing spell. you can play perfectly against terrible players and lose buy in after buy in one last pic to show variance at work. the following is a graph of  a guy who charges $175 an hour to coach hypers over  a 9000+ game sample he managed to run $28,000 below ev. for those uninitiated the orange line shows what his expected winning would be on average. say if he got AA in v KK his ev line would go up for 80% of the pot. he essentially got his money in good but ran horrendously over a fairly significant sample.
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    Graph makes me feel sick! ughhhhhhh
  • edited July 2014
    i'm honestly surprised he has a working monitor to look at that graph on.
  • edited July 2014
    450 games in and currently on 11.8% roi  I'm guessing its very unlikely I will get to 1000 games with a 10% roi but while its possible that will be my target. anyone with more advice or experience in playing these then feel free to pm me.