You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

does sky poker burn cards, I think not what do you think

edited January 2010 in Area 51
sky does n't burn cards

Comments

• edited July 2009
    It definitely doesn't but why would it need to?

• edited July 2009
    In Response to does sky poker burn cards, I think not what do you think:
    sky does n't burn cards
    Posted by deucesru
    No they dont one of the moderators said and I quote. " there are 12 cards in play, and five on the table totaling  17".

In the game of texas hold em there are 20 inc the burn cards not 17, unless this was an over site by the  moderator...!!!!!!
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: does sky poker burn cards, I think not what do you think:
    It definitely doesn't but why would it need to?
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    read the book, any book about texas and you will see the formula.
     If this is not done you are not playing hold em and can invke the card counter and % player that is why we burn cards.....
  • edited July 2009
    Card burning is only done to stop card marking (or I guess other forms of cheating) in live games so why would any online site need to burn cards?
  • edited July 2009
    spot on dowzer, are they trying to say it's fixed now becuase they don't burn cards? that's a new 1
  • edited July 2009
    dowzer   quite right    how can odds change if online do not burn     dont get it
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: does sky poker burn cards, I think not what do you think : read the book, any book about texas and you will see the formula.  If this is not done you are not playing hold em and can invke the card counter and % player that is why we burn cards.....
    Posted by deucesru
    Hi deucesru,

I am not aware of a single Online Poker site on earth that has Burn Cards - they have no function Online.

Their absence does not affect the odds at all. Your "odds" remain identical.

Burn Cards are used exclusively "Live", & never Online.

It's one of the very few universally agreed rules of Poker.

• edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: does sky poker burn cards, I think not what do you think : Hi deucesru, I am not aware of a single Online Poker site on earth that has Burn Cards - they have no function Online. Their absence does not affect the odds at all. Your "odds" remain identical. Burn Cards are used exclusively "Live", & never Online. It's one of the very few universally agreed rules of Poker.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Just to echo Tikay's sentiments here:

The burning of cards is in no way required in online card games. The reason it's practiced in live games is due to the fact that the card might be seen by (or even somehow shown to) players at the table. This is possible when a dealer is dealing directly from his/her hand or from a shoe. The cards are burnt due to the odd chance that someone may have seen the value of the next card to come up or the last card on the bottom of the pack etc.

The burning of cards are not for the sake of getting rid of possibly marked cards. Because seeing your marked card being burnt also has an effect on how you would continue to bet or play. The practice of burning cards is there mainly in case someone actually sees a card value.

Since the possibility of seeing any cards is eliminated when playing online, there is no need to burn any cards. It in no way affects the odds. If there are any sites out there that claim to burn cards then this is largely due to tradition and serves no practical purpose.

• edited July 2009
    What a ridiculous thread
  • edited July 2009
    What a ridiculous thread
    Posted by OMahonyO
    What a ridiculous comment to make.
  • edited July 2009
    What a ridiculous thread
    Posted by OMahonyO
    What aridiculous comment to make.
  • edited July 2009
    What a ridiculous thread
    Posted by OMahonyO
    +1
  • edited July 2009

No, it's not a ridiculous thread imo - some folks who are relatively inexperieced don't know these things. That's why both myself, & "Sky Mod 1" took some time to not just refute the statement, but explain why.

We all had to learn these things when we started out.

• edited July 2009
    As Tikay says, this is a perfectly acceptable thread.

As mentioned, if you're new to poker it explains how/why it's done.

good thread!
  • edited July 2009
    Ok, when I first read this post in my hungover haze, I thought OP was going down the poker is rigged road.

Now, re reading it, I can see that maybe wasnt the case, (although it is in area 51, maybe it was moved here im not sure).

So, for that reason I apologise for my hasty comment.
  • edited July 2009
    And in live POKER and Online we have a   'postilion'  (plastic cutting card)  this used  to stop players from seeing the base card  or bottom of the deck .. so dont do as i did and go round the back of your computer to see  if you can see if the dealer is showing the base of the deck ????
  • edited July 2009
    i cant beileve all this talk of BURNING CARDS the effects on the ozone layer and of course the safety issue makes me so mad
  • edited July 2009
    Ok, when I first read this post in my hungover haze, I thought OP was going down the poker is rigged road. Now, re reading it, I can see that maybe wasnt the case, (although it is in area 51, maybe it was moved here im not sure). So, for that reason I apologise for my hasty comment.
    Posted by OMahonyO
    Apology not necessary bud.

It's just that some folks are not experienced as others, & they don't know - so I think it as worth trying to expain the reasoning.

Your comment was not malicious, we're like Fonz, coolio.
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to does sky poker burn cards, I think not what do you think:
    sky does n't burn cards
    Posted by deucesru
    interesting .... the books I have read al say burn card and yes it does change the odds the more cards in play the tighter the odds and that is simple maths.. 1 more point where is it written that on line poker differs from live?? the chances are suppoed to be the same .
    If we indeed are not playing true texas then the name of the game should be changed to suit on-line.
    I know what ur thinking this is some newbie going on 1 ,  but I will ask the question afain , has the online community changed the rules of this years old game???????????
    imagine  football with only 9 men instead of 11, that game has never deviated from its roots.. food for thought  i'd like to think so
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to does sky poker burn cards, I think not what do you think : interesting .... the books I have read al say burn card and yes it does change the odds the more cards in play the tighter the odds and that is simple maths.. 1 more point where is it written that on line poker differs from live?? the chances are suppoed to be the same . If we indeed are not playing true texas then the name of the game should be changed to suit on-line. I know what ur thinking this is some newbie going on 1 ,  but I will ask the question afain , has the online community changed the rules of this years old game??????????? imagine  football with only 9 men instead of 11, that game has never deviated from its roots.. food for thought  i'd like to think so
    Posted by deucesru
    Not having "Burn Cards" does not change the odds at all.

When calculating "outs" & "odds" you assume all your outs are available, when in fact they may be in someone else's hand, or been Passed pre, be in the burn, or still in the deck. They all count as "outs", as you don't know where they are. They may be a "burn" card, or they may become a "burn card", but this does not affect the way outs & odds are calculated.

The existence of "Burn Cards" is NOT part of the Rules of Poker as such, so the fact that Online don't use them, & Live do, does not change the game.

Sky Poker do not use Burn Csards, nor does any other Online Poker Room.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to does sky poker burn cards, I think not what do you think : interesting .... the books I have read al say burn card and yes it does change the odds the more cards in play the tighter the odds and that is simple maths.. 1 more point where is it written that on line poker differs from live?? the chances are suppoed to be the same . If we indeed are not playing true texas then the name of the game should be changed to suit on-line. I know what ur thinking this is some newbie going on 1 ,  but I will ask the question afain , has the online community changed the rules of this years old game??????????? imagine  football with only 9 men instead of 11, that game has never deviated from its roots.. food for thought  i'd like to think so
    Posted by deucesru
    the name has been changed,it is now known as SKYPOKER
  • edited January 2010
    Posted by deucesru
    If you take a deck of cards, your probability of randomly picking an ace out is 4/52 = 1/13

If you take a deck of cards, and discard half of them without looking at what they are, your probability of picking an ace out is still 4/52 = 1/13

In any probability calculation if there is an act that affects your chances - but you don't know what the result is, then it doesn't affect the outcome.

There is a whole long sum you can do to prove this, but I cba'd to go in to it.

Basically the summary is that because you don't know what cards are burned, not having burn cards doesn't affect your odds.
  • edited January 2010
    wrong it is 2 in 26,yes the same odds but you cannot count the other 26 cards as they do not exist.dav
  • edited January 2010
    wrong it is 2 in 26,yes the same odds but you cannot count the other 26 cards as they do not exist.dav
    Posted by dav1964
    not 4 in 26,like the blackbirds baked in a pie?
  • edited January 2010
    I think that a credit card should be placed under the deck to stop people peeking at the bottom card.

Get it sorted sky!
  • edited January 2010

I'm trying to think of an easy way to answer the question.

If the dealer before dealing a flop, took the bottom 20 cards from the deck and threw them, unseen, into the bin, odds and outs etc and your calculations, still wouldn't change because those cards wouldn't have been dealt as community cards anyway, but they do exist, so odds remain the same.

Think of a burn card as a card from the bottom of the deck, it wasn't gonna be played anyway, but it exists so mathematically has to be considered.
    There could be 24 burn cards, makes no difference. As long as the dealer is holding enough cards to deal a river card, nothing changes.

Imaging this
    If you are playing a game with 20 friends, you are big blind with pocket 44. 18 players fold and small blind calls. 36 cards have gone face down into the muck. You do not know if one of those 36 cards is the four you need to hit your set, whether you opponent is holding a four or even a pair of fours, or whether both fours are still in deck, or whether they will be burnt etc. Location of any card on table, or in the deck, when unseen by you, does not effect the odds. Doesn't matter if 20 are playing or 2. 

I've a feeling that none of that will help!

• edited January 2010
    Posted by dav1964
    No that's the whole point, it would be 2 from 26 if 2 of the aces were in the 26 you kept and 2 were in the deck you threw away. But you don't know that, so the probability remains exactly the same (of course they still exist - what did you do? Set fire to them when you discarded them? ) - technically it is worked out differently but it isn't worked out like this to result in the same odds (it's somewhat more complex).

A Simple Illustration
    If you have 3 Kings and a Queen - the probability of picking the Queen.

(i)        With all 4 cards in front of you it is 1/4

(ii)       If you randomly discard 2 the probability of picking the Queen from the 2 remaining is still 1/4

(iii)      The probability of picking the Queen is the probability that
               (a) you didn't pick the Queen in the discard pile and
               (b) the probability that you did pick it in the remaining pile

(iiia)    The Probability you don't pick the Queen with the first discard is 3/4
               The Probability you don't pick the Queen with the 2nd discard is 2/3
               Therefore the probability that you don't pick it in either discard
               is 3/4 x 2/3 = 6/12 = 1/2

(iiib)    The Probability that you then pick the Queen from remaining 2 cards is obviously = 1/2

(iiia & iiib)
               Therefore the probability that you pick a Queen from the remaining 26 is 1/2 x 1/2 = 1/4
                                                                                                                                        QED

If you extrapolate this and you use bigger sums you get that picking an ace from half a pack where you don't know which half has been discarded is still 1/13 (but it's not quite so simple as saying the full pack means 4/52 so half a pack means 2/26 as demonstrated here)

And if oyu extrapolate it further it gives you that in any poker situation the probability doesn't change if you don't know the cards that are no longer in the pack therefore the probability doesn't change if you do or don't have burn cards.