You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

PLO8 DYM advice please

edited July 2014 in Sit & Go Strategy
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
ASmall blind 200.00200.003370.02
BBig blind 400.00600.00430.00
 Your hole cards
  • A

CRaise 1400.002000.00740.00
dragon1964Fold    
DFold    
AFold    
BFold    
CMuck    
CWin 1000.00 1740.00
CReturn 1000.000.002740.00
Hi all PLO8ers
Was I correct to fold here?
Think I had about 3200 chips and as you can see B is very short while the villain is next shortest when he raises.
I was thinking I could only win the hi hand if flush or straight comes in and there was no guarantee that a low would be possible.  Hence I folded, no need to get involved in such a big pot here.

This was only my 3rd game of PLO8 so any advice and criticism is welcome.
1st game - 6th
2nd game - 5th
3rd game - CASHED     hooray.

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• edited July 2014

Hi Dragon.

This is a strategic situation, & applies equally to PLO8, PLO, NLH, or any other DYM/SNG really.

I don't know what ICM might say, but its a close one. On balance, as there are 2 other shorties, & they might just bang heads here, I think I find the fold quite easily.

We don't HAVE to go to war here, & in probability, if we sit quietly, we will win this without much risk.

4-handed, when losing might be crucial, I have two rules I use if possible. It's not always possible, of course, but ideally, I want....

1) To be the first to bet. As we force folds 60 to 70% of the time, this has to be good logic. When we "react" to a Bet by another, we have no idea what they may have, or how it will end. We are very rarely better than 60-40 anyway, so why risk it? Against a shortie, too, we lose one of our prime weapons - we cannot force him to fold once he has opened.

2) For my 4-handed "all-or-nothing" spots, I like to have a 2 way hand. I want these combos in my hand.

An Ace

A King or Queen, at a push a Jack. 

A 2, 3, 4 or 5, or some combo of.

So hands like....

A-2-4-K

A-2-5-Q

A-3-5-Q

A-2-J-Q

Those sort of hands. If we have a Low Only hand, & the flop comes all paint, we are in a world of hurt. But with A-K/Q/J in our hand, we have good equity.      

• edited July 2014
    I'd be going to war with this hand normally but absolutely no need to get involved here with any hand. Even AA23ds I would fold :)
  • edited July 2014
    Thanks both for your help.

I have played many NLH DYMs so understand the importance of not getting involved unneccesarily.

I just don't really have a clue what hand is good enough in PLO8.

At least I made the correct decision so maybe I am getting somewhere slowly.