You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Playing combo draws against a spewy reg

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
ajs4385 Small blind   £1.00 £1.00 £188.75
lJAMESl Big blind   £2.00 £3.00 £479.27
  Your hole cards
  • Q

earn Fold        
AKdanAK Fold        
Cutiepie81 Raise   £6.00 £9.00 £202.65
ROB125 Fold        
ajs4385 Fold        
lJAMESl Call   £4.00 £13.00 £475.27
Flop

lJAMESl Check        
Cutiepie81 Bet   £9.75 £22.75 £192.90
lJAMESl ???

Comments

• edited January 2010
    Villain is a reg loose, aggressive and prone to spewing off have tilted this guy a few times but he retaliates quite badly to aggression. Likes to call alot OOP. During this session I think I have stacked him around 5/6 times and I am definately in his head alot. Thus winning the meta game between us.

Basically the question I'm asking is when we flop a hand this strong should we always be raising for value or are we folding out to many hands that we have crushed? Or are we getting shoved/3bet on alot on the flop by overpairs which we are flipping (50/50) against.

Would like to hear players thoughts.

And then will show my decision and end result.
  • edited January 2010
    KISS - KEEP it Simple Stupid. Something i never do.

I am check raising shipping it in.  Combined with folding equity big ev!  your also oop, makes it harder to get value when hitting! you really going to lead the flush, make it obvious! or check and have him check behind?
    If he calls i prob fire again and get it in if he is spewing. if he has Overpair he prob ships it flop with that state of mind so u r likely ahead, if not, u got outs.

XX
  • edited January 2010
    My apologies for some reason I thought I was the button in this hand and therefore had position on cutiepie81. Now I have realised we are OOP are options are limited. But I would like to hear peoples thoughts on the way that we could play the hand differently if we were infact in position in this hand as to compared to playing OOP.
  • edited January 2010
      Read through the hand several times and kept coming up with 1 major problem, the lack of information. The raise preflop is meaningless and could be with any 2. The opponent has been classed as loose so again we have a wide range of hands, also they have been stacked several times so they may be chasing so again we have a very wide range of opening hands. The c-bet on the flop is meaningless and would have been fired out hit or miss. The only information you really have to go on is the strength and possibilities of your own hand and though it is good , it is by no means assured to be ahead or even nutdrawing. I would personally flat his flop bet and reevaluate on the turn. Looking for a card that either improves the holding or is a total blank. This is a situation that could get ugly in a hurry if not held in check. With no way to put our opponent on a range at this time i favour caution for 1 more card. This summation comes from my severe lack of cash poker ability so can easily be dicarded if you think i am wrong
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Playing combo draws against a spewy reg:
    KISS - KEEP it Simple Stupid. Something i never do. I am check raising shipping it in.  Combined with folding equity big ev!  your also oop, makes it harder to get value when hitting! you really going to lead the flush, make it obvious! or check and have him check behind? If he calls i prob fire again and get it in if he is spewing. if he has Overpair he prob ships it flop with that state of mind so u r likely ahead, if not, u got outs. XX
    Posted by Sparce
    +1

I am check raising with sets,bluffs and flush draws against this player so i would have to do the same with this hand to balance my range.
  • edited January 2010
    "Villain is a reg loose, aggressive and prone to spewing off have tilted this guy a few times but he retaliates quite badly to aggression."

And you're asking whether you should raise?

You only flat flops likes these to pot control with medium hands or small draws which you want to hit cheaply with, broadly speaking.

Should be looking to get this in every time in position or out on the flop.

Only reason I'd ever flat in position here would be to balance my range a bit on these kinda boards where villain thinks a 2nd barrel on turn and/or river will get you off a medium strength hand as you've been showing down J10/89 kinda hands after he'd shut down on later streets previously but this is very villain dependant on how your action has gone with him/her up to now.

• edited January 2010
    Yeah looking at the way the hand has played, Im more than likely shipping in a good amount of chips over the top on that flop...

If he you raise and he pushes over the top then more than likely he has hit a set but you definately raise on the flop with that...

Be good to see what you did?
  • edited January 2010
    Some good responses, yeah as I forgot that I was OOP for the hand I forgot to mention the villain cbets the flop around 80% of the time so his cbet pretty much means nothing. This is what I decided to do...
  • edited January 2010
    ajs4385 Small blind   £1.00 £1.00 £188.75
    lJAMESl Big blind   £2.00 £3.00 £479.27
      Your hole cards
    • Q

earn Fold        
    AKdanAK Fold        
    Cutiepie81 Raise   £6.00 £9.00 £202.65
    ROB125 Fold        
    ajs4385 Fold        
    lJAMESl Call   £4.00 £13.00 £475.27
    Flop

lJAMESl Check        
    Cutiepie81 Bet   £9.75 £22.75 £192.90
    lJAMESl Raise   £34.00 £56.75 £441.27
    Cutiepie81 Call   £24.25 £81.00 £168.65
    Turn

• Q

lJAMESl Bet   £45.00 £126.00 £396.27
    Cutiepie81 All-in   £168.65 £294.65 £0.00
    lJAMESl Call   £123.65 £418.30 £272.62
    lJAMESl Show
    • Q

Cutiepie81 Show
    • A
    • A

River

lJAMESl Win Two Pairs, Queens and 10s £416.50   £689.12
  • edited January 2010

If the turn was a blank (3c), are you most likely check calling reasonable turn bets for the implied odds?

Also the highest stakes i play is 100nl so i hardly ever get people calling the flop raise as a float, does it happen alot at 200nl?

Deuce

• edited January 2010
    I play the hand exactly the same against this oppo! Happy to get in on the flop along with the fold equity is right play imo
  • edited January 2010
    You played it perfectly.

Interesting though how vulnerable your hand actually was. On a 59T flop (or many flops with a 5 and T, but that's for another thread) your hand was actually quite precarious.
    Did you really want to see a 5,6,7,8,9,J,K or A on the turn? (Excluding diamonds of course, but that still leaves a lot of cards).
  • edited January 2010
    This is how to play combo draws.  BISH BASH BOSH!!!
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    ICASHMORE Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £10.58
    Travaldo Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £3.11
    SPARKS1 Big blind   £0.04 £0.10 £0.96
      Your hole cards

Harry-1 Fold        
    stoneyb515 Fold        
    badboy617 Call   £0.04 £0.14 £4.15
    SPARKS1 Check        
    AlanM74 Call   £0.04 £0.18 £2.42
    Wilhelm Call   £0.04 £0.22 £3.38
    manu278 Call   £0.04 £0.26 £3.85
    ICASHMORE Fold        
    Travaldo Raise   £0.08 £0.34 £3.03
    badboy617 Call   £0.08 £0.42 £4.07
    SPARKS1 Fold        
    AlanM74 Call   £0.08 £0.50 £2.34
    Wilhelm Call   £0.08 £0.58 £3.30
    manu278 Call   £0.08 £0.66 £3.77
    Flop

Travaldo Bet   £0.24 £0.90 £2.79
    badboy617 Fold        
    AlanM74 Fold        
    Wilhelm All-in   £3.30 £4.20 £0.00
    manu278 Fold        
    Travaldo All-in   £2.79 £6.99 £0.00
    Wilhelm Unmatched bet   £0.27 £6.72 £0.27
    Travaldo Show
    • J
    • J

Wilhelm Show

Turn

River

Wilhelm Win Straight to the 8 £6.41   £6.68
    Best get it in before a card comes that might scare off your opponent, or you miss the turn and he bets you off.  But then again I was massive.  17 outs.  Might have been a slight favourite.
  • edited January 2010
    If the turn was a blank (3c), are you most likely check calling reasonable turn bets for the implied odds? Also the highest stakes i play is 100nl so i hardly ever get people calling the flop raise as a float, does it happen alot at 200nl? Deuce
    Posted by DeuceAK-47
    The higher you move up the more advanced the plays will become, the more advanced experienced players tend to float, but in this instance I can't see him calling a check/raise here without at least a draw or a pair. Had it been the other way round and I flatted the flop he could easily think I'm floating him and double barrel me light. I don't think you will have to worry about floating at 100nl as most players will play straight forward the only ones that will seem like they are floating are the fish but really they are just calling stations trying to hit a lucky card.

I'm probably betting the turn here against Cutie_pie even a blank turn as most likely my 10 is good alot of the time and I need to bet for value and protection against weaker holdings.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Playing combo draws against a spewy reg : The higher you move up the more advanced the plays will become, the more advanced experienced players tend to float, but in this instance I can't see him calling a check/raise here without at least a draw or a pair. Had it been the other way round and I flatted the flop he could easily think I'm floating him and double barrel me light. I don't think you will have to worry about floating at 100nl as most players will play straight forward the only ones that will seem like they are floating are the fish but really they are just calling stations trying to hit a lucky card. I'm probably betting the turn here against Cutie_pie even a blank turn as most likely my 10 is good alot of the time and I need to bet for value and protection against weaker holdings.
    Posted by lJAMESl

Thanks for the reply James, the advice is much appreciated.