You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How did I win this hand?!

edited July 2014 in Tournament Strategy
This hand is from a £5K Turbo Open Direct (Sat), and I'm just a little confused about how I got called on the river and still won the hand :/ I think this is the weirdest thing I've ever seen in poker? Mis-click, surely?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
peter27 Small blind   200.00 200.00 2576.00
jayrob93 Big blind   400.00 600.00 30.00
  Your hole cards

f_bomb Call   400.00 1000.00 4254.00
POWERPIN Fold        
peter27 Call   200.00 1200.00 2376.00
jayrob93 Check        
Flop

• J

peter27 Check        
jayrob93 Check        
f_bomb Check        
Turn

peter27 Check        
jayrob93 Check        
f_bomb Check        
River

• J

peter27 Bet   600.00 1800.00 1776.00
jayrob93 Fold        
f_bomb Call   600.00 2400.00 3654.00
peter27 Show

f_bomb Muck

peter27 Win Pair of Jacks 2400.00   4176.00

Comments

• edited July 2014
    More concerned by your peel pre.
  • edited July 2014
    Must have been a misclick limping in for starters
  • edited July 2014
    I understand why he would call as you have repped nothing at all.. good call with any PP or even A high, just 8 high.. yeah enough said, poor all round
  • edited July 2014
    To clarify, my call pre-flop was because the table was playing incredibly tightly up until that point, and I had not played a hand in a while. Just trying to mix it up if anything.

In Response to Re: How did I win this hand?!:
    I understand why he would call as you have repped nothing at all.. good call with any PP or even A high, just 8 high.. yeah enough said, poor all round
    Posted by Nuggy962
    This shocks me. I have repped nothing, but I still don't see how you understand his call with 4, 8?! He's getting beat if I have a 3, 5, 9, 10, J, Q, K or A ...
  • edited July 2014
    Calling pre is not mixing it up, it's burning ev. There's 1000 in the pot before your call.. if you ship and everyone folds that's over a 40% increase to your stack, which is huge. If you get called most of the time you have live cards and a chance at doubling up. Limping in to play a pot OOP with an SPR of 2 is not in any way going to do you any favours. Most of the time you'll be forced to fold, sometimes you'll hit a bad pair and be forced to go with it. 

Shoving or folding pre is the only line here to take. With your stack size you need to make a move sooner rather than later. Mostly in tournaments on sky you want to be shoving when you get to 10bb's or less - in turbos you can make the exception and go as low as 7-8bb's. 6bb's is really low and when you get to 4/5 BB's you definitely lose any fold equity you may have. I probably wouldn't ship in this spot because someone that limps here is probably going to be calling it off and we don't have great equity vs his range. But you should be shoving the next unopened pot (or if it's limped again, shove with a hand that does a bit better vs a limping range)

edit: I missed it was a sat - how many seats/how far off are you? Again being a sat, it's OK to blind down less than 10bb's but we still shouldn't be going any lower than 7.
  • edited July 2014

What Ivan said.

Just to add, making up the SB here in a sat is even worse I think. It is anything but ''mixing it up''. We need to preserve every chip possible when we are short stacked, for that all important fold equity for when we do get all our chips in the middle.

If the table is tight and you've hardly played a hand, just shove. Doesn't really matter what you're holding (though something workable obviously is better where possible).