You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Turbo open

I look really short but 6xbb to start the hand isn't far off average in this lolcomp.

1 double puts me above avg anyway with around 30 left.

b/c? c/shove? shove? c/f?

Don't like any options.

wwyd?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
blueberr27 Small blind  2000.00 2000.00 31580.00
DOHHHHHHH Big blind  4000.00 6000.00 20080.00
  Your hole cards
  • Q

Oban Fold     
chateauneu Call  4000.00 10000.00 33675.00
Tsaaaar Fold     
tallytink Call  4000.00 14000.00 37714.78
blueberr27 Fold     
DOHHHHHHH Check     
Flop

• Q

DOHHHHHHH

Comments

• edited July 2014
  • edited July 2014
    2 ways to win as Tikay would say
  • edited July 2014
    Easy shove you'll get called by loads of draws, random pairs and then sometimes the fish will show up with anything.
  • edited July 2014
    yeah loving the shove
  • edited July 2014
    Shove and curse when you run into someone that's limped with QJ/QK.
  • edited July 2014
    Shove pre? If we think we can get it through the first player, we can probably get it through Tallytink due to their capped range.

Deffo open shoving this flop.
  • edited July 2014
    ah sry, didn't see the flop, i meant get it in pre,

as played rarely folding, would prob lead/shove half the time & the other half check/call-off
  • edited July 2014
    Id shove pre sir!
  • edited July 2014

I did shove.

Never considered a shove pre though, interesting that a few like this option.

I think there's lots of QJ/QT/QK/22/33/44/55/66/77/88 type hands in their limping ranges which I don't trust them to fold to a 6xbb shove.

I don't play many tournaments here though so maybe something I have to think about in future.

Snapped by Q9ss btw, ded!

Thanks chaps.
  • edited July 2014
    I don't really like shoving pre because I agree with your assessment of their limping range and that they won't fold to a 6bb shove. Be glad of the free flop and hope to get it in post-flop with more equity (whether that be fold equity/hand equity) than getting it in pre. Just ul when you run into Q9ss. 
  • edited July 2014
    It might only be a 6bb shove but if its for half their stacks....

Generally I'd tap the table and hope to smash a flop, but if I've been quiet for a couple of orbits I might be inclined to take advantage of that pre and gii. Kinda reliant on your table mates paying attention mind.

Do agree that stronger Q's form some part of their limping range though. But we might well be able to fold some of these out, plus other hands they don't wanna go to war with.

Out of interest JJ, how would you play AA in this spot?
  • edited July 2014
    Is a check shove not the best option here because it's the play that keeps in the most hands we beat? 

Flush draws, str8 draws are calling whatever way we play it but open shoving might fold out middle/bottom pair hands and pure bluffs that might take a stab at it on the flop. By check shoving we prob price anyone who does bet the flop in to calling but we've top pair with 5bb's we're never getting away from it so might as well let people with worse hands have a stab at us and take the chance of the double up?! 

• edited July 2014
    Fair point JD, but with it being a 3way limped pot and the stacks so shallow, I'm not sure anyone will take a stab with an airball/very marginal hand.

There is a very real chance this will get checked around on the flop with no clear aggression pre. Plus with us being so shallow, we don't really need to the leverage to check raise all in as there is already way too much in the middle vs what we have left. If anyone has anything to call with, be that a flush draw, a decent 7, a pair below a Q, whatever, it's all going in, but still better to jam our hand than effectively call it off.

Side note....Q9s probably would have folded to a shove pre :)
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Turbo open:
    Is a check shove not the best option here because it's the play that keeps in the most hands we beat?  Flush draws, str8 draws are calling whatever way we play it but open shoving might fold out middle/bottom pair hands and pure bluffs that might take a stab at it on the flop. By check shoving we prob price anyone who does bet the flop in to calling but we've top pair with 5bb's we're never getting away from it so might as well let people with worse hands have a stab at us and take the chance of the double up?! 
    Posted by jdsallstar
    Think you are overestimating the strength of our hand. We just want to take it down rather than get it in v drawing hand/pair and over type hands. We don't have FE when someone raises into us on the flop.
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Turbo open:
    In Response to Re: Turbo open : Think you are overestimating the strength of our hand. We just want to take it down rather than get it in v drawing hand/pair and over type hands. We don't have FE when someone raises into us on the flop.
    Posted by MattBates

I know we're far from strong and have no fe but with 5bb's back we're always going with it and is it not pretty much the best opportunity we'll get?  

Should we not be happy to take the gamble of getting it in vs drawing hands and pair and over hands,  some of which we may fold out with an open shove (esp against passive oppos)? The risk of it getting checked round/giving a free card is far from ideal but worth the risk? 

Finally, from what size of stack would you not open shove here and would you shove pre like some have suggested? 

Feedback would be much appreciated 

• edited July 2014