You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

SPT Newcastle goes ahead as normal on Saturday

SPTSPT
edited January 2010 in The Sky Poker Tour
Just in response to a few queries on forum the team have discussed this weekend's event and decided that it goes ahead as normal, and we hope as many players as possible are able to attend.

Looking at the forecast for Newcastle over the next few days we have a mixture of rain, snow and then significantly warmer temperatures on Saturday itself.

Comments

• edited January 2010
    ok thx but ive just seen sky weather and it seems to be getting worse over the next fe days ith a deluge ove snow from the east fri sat and sun from siberia 20 below.but im sure we will do our best to attend. many thx del
  • edited January 2010
    i will defo be there im setting off walking tomorrow just in case
  • edited January 2010
    I can't even get out of my drive let alone get to Newcastle at the moment. Still time for it to improve so fingers crossed.
    If i can't make it I know I can't sell it, but can I pass it on to a mate, or do I just write it off?
  • edited January 2010
    i guess it will only local players that turn up cus all i can c at the min is dont travel and bus and trains and planes out at a minimum service.wat chance do e have im 220 miles away.plz sky is there any way a refund is available to those who cant get.del
  • SPTSPT
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: SPT Newcastle goes ahead as normal on Saturday:
    I can't even get out of my drive let alone get to Newcastle at the moment. Still time for it to improve so fingers crossed. If i can't make it I know I can't sell it, but can I pass it on to a mate, or do I just write it off?
    Posted by Indstrcble

As it stands Ed its a write off

I am hearing conflicting weather reports, but I am just north of you and allowing Friday to get up there
  • SPTSPT
    edited January 2010
    i guess it will only local players that turn up cus all i can c at the min is dont travel and bus and trains and planes out at a minimum service.wat chance do e have im 220 miles away.plz sky is there any way a refund is available to those who cant get.del
    Posted by DELTA
    Not currently no.

We discussed various issues around refunds/cancellations etc this afternoon. I expect if the situation worsens from here then we will have to discuss again

At present I anticipate the majority of the field making it. Major roads are ok, Newcastle airport is open, trains are running.....obviously its a tricky situation. The logistics of postponement, finding a new date, availability of presenters, myself, costs already incurred by Sky and players make it highly undesirable to change at this short notice.

• edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: SPT Newcastle goes ahead as normal on Saturday : Not currently no. We discussed various issues around refunds/cancellations etc this afternoon. I expect if the situation worsens from here then we will have to discuss again At present I anticipate the majority of the field making it. Major roads are ok, Newcastle airport is open, trains are running.....obviously its a tricky situation. The logistics of postponement, finding a new date, availability of presenters, myself, costs already incurred by Sky and players make it highly undesirable to change at this short notice.  
    Posted by SPT
    i fully understand what you are saying.but if say i can provide air or rail tickets and hotel reciepts and i dont make it because ove the weather would there be any chance ove a replacement ticket to another spt or a refund ove the buy in stake £100 and i stand the loss ove the travel and hotel. many thanks del
  • edited January 2010
    Obviously with the weather being like it is, you could class it as extreme and hazardous. If anywhere down the line this scenario happens where the bad weather could result in a big percentage of players not being able to make the venue, i have a suggestion but i've got a feeling that what have in mind would probably result in the answer being an emphatic no probably due to obviously your techie guys working overtime and possible gaming issues being brought into question perhaps.

Quite simply stage the tournament online here on Sky Poker with exactly the same structure, clocks, prize money etc etc etc. Also so that the venue does not feel left out possibly give them the big thanks by giving the venue some free endorsements.

I know that all channels have to obviously abide by the relevent OFCOM guidelines and once again it's just a suggestion on my part that i know probably won't be able to come to fruition for numerous reasons.
  • edited January 2010
    Obviously with the weather being like it is, you could class it as extreme and hazardous. If anywhere down the line this scenario happens where the bad weather could result in a big percentage of players not being able to make the venue, i have a suggestion but i've got a feeling that what have in mind would probably result in the answer being an emphatic no probably due to obviously your techie guys working overtime and possbile gaming issues being brought into question perhaps. Quite simply stage the tournament online here on Sky Poker with exactly the same structure, clocks, prize money etc etc etc. Also so that the venue does not feel left out possibly give them the big thanks by giving the venue some free endorsements. I know that all channels have to obviously abide by the relevent OFCOM guidelines and once again it's just a suggestion on my part that i know probably won't be able to come to fruition for numerous reasons.
    Posted by OnlyOneCT

must say thats an absolutely fantastic suggestion!! but not 'cos i cant make it hahaha but no, very innovative 'worst case scenario' alternative i must say! : )
  • edited January 2010
    Don't think the online suggestion works to be honest as defeats the object of having a live event. Only downside is that for those that planned to travel a distance we are reliant on the elements.
    I am still snowed in and main concern is ice on the roads. Don't know if I will get further than my driveway to get to work tomorrow let alone Newcastle after work.
    Heavy snow is also forecast for Newcastle tomorrow and I have to concede defeat that it is not worth the risk to travel in these conditions for a poker tournament which I may not get to or return from.
    Will write off the entry and the hotel costs, such is life.
    Good luck to everyone taking part, have fun. : )
  • edited January 2010
    Obviously with the weather being like it is, you could class it as extreme and hazardous. If anywhere down the line this scenario happens where the bad weather could result in a big percentage of players not being able to make the venue, i have a suggestion but i've got a feeling that what have in mind would probably result in the answer being an emphatic no probably due to obviously your techie guys working overtime and possible gaming issues being brought into question perhaps. Quite simply stage the tournament online here on Sky Poker with exactly the same structure, clocks, prize money etc etc etc. Also so that the venue does not feel left out possibly give them the big thanks by giving the venue some free endorsements. I know that all channels have to obviously abide by the relevent OFCOM guidelines and once again it's just a suggestion on my part that i know probably won't be able to come to fruition for numerous reasons.
    Posted by OnlyOneCT

Thought of this idea also,shame it wont happen.
  • edited January 2010
    i am so glad im not having to travel to newcastle today or tomorrow as i wouldnt be able to get there.ive read about all the team having meetings to discuss the weather and people having problems getting there.they are saying main roads and motorways are clear and the forecast is to improve on saturday etc!!!!!but what about the AA and RAC etc firmly stating ''DO NOT TRAVEL UNLESS YOU REALLY HAVE TOO''most people that have qualified or bought in will do everything possible to get there on sat(i would myself)putting themselves in dander.
  • edited January 2010
    i'm still going snow is 4in deep but clear on main roads,i'm 2 1/2 hours away so setting off at 8 am giving myself 6 hours to get there
  • edited January 2010
    Hi guys I travelled from Portsmouth and got here here yesterday in record time -all the main roads are clear and a lot less traffic than normal. 

Took me 30 mins to get of drive and 20 mins to get in to hotel car park - hardest 2 parts of the journey - rest was plain sailing.

Hope as many as possible can make it.  See you when you get here.  

• edited January 2010
    I'm not going.  Flight cancelled, no suitable alternative.  I don't drive.  Could get train, but very expensive, and no guarantee that there won't be major delays.  Bring on Luton and the balmy March weather!

Call me a fair weather player, I don't care.
  • edited January 2010
    Will I'm going as long as they have moved that lorry at Durham. First time I've took the wife out in months. Bought her this love bobble hat so I canot waste that. She bought me a shovel to dig us out. Who said romance is dead!!
  • edited January 2010
    Having had a change in my circumstances i was gutted that i had to abandon any thought of trying to get to Newcastle back then i  couldnt believe it but now well hey i love poker so i am still gutted but gl and take care to all who travel and from my point of view every cloud has a silver lining ( Big Shann not playing the cash tables lol ) good luck one and all
  • edited January 2010
    I'm not going.  Flight cancelled, no suitable alternative.  I don't drive.  Could get train, but very expensive, and no guarantee that there won't be major delays.  Bring on Luton and the balmy March weather! Call me a fair weather player, I don't care.
    Posted by SoLack
    Its not good that theres a few people unable to go, sorry to hear that. After havin a great time at Manchester i couldn't wait to quailfy for Newcastle, been busy at work, i had a few attempts with no sucsses. i also missed the 9 seats that went up for sale the other day, again due to work. Just my luck

I wonder if they will put your seat up for sale on the day, i am travelling up with 2 friends Dantb10 and Dodd08 to show my support for them and also the spt, so i can always ask on the day and see if i can buy a seat, from anyone not attending.

I wonder if any knows if this is a possiablity?

Hopefully see you at Luton SoLack
  • edited January 2010
    Surely this is the most logical option, i dont see the point in the potential that there could be 2-3 players sat out. Its one thing online but live is a bit stupid. Lets hope as many can get there as possible for a good day.

cheers
  • edited January 2010
    IM DEVASTATED ME. TRIED EVERY ANGLE TO GET THERE AFTER EXHAUSTING EVERY POSSIBLE WAY OF GETTING SOME SORT OR REFUND. BUT ITS JUST TOO FAR AND TOO TREACHEROUS TO RISK IT FOR A GAME OF POKER. ALL I BEEN HEARING IS DONT GO OUT UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, AND ALSO FORECAST FOR NEWCASTLE IS ABYSMAL NOT TO MENTION ITS JUST STARTED SNOWING AGAIN HERE AND IVE BEEN PRACTICALLY SNOWED IN ALL WEEK AS IT IS LOL! IF IT GOES AHEAD I HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A BLINDER BUT I FANCY IF IT DOES GO ON THERE WILL BE A FEW CHIPSTACKS SITTING UNATTENDED. IF IT DOESNT GO ON THEN HOPEFULLY WE CAN GET SOME KIND OF REINBURSEMENT AFTER ALL ITS NOT ALL OF US GOT 100 QUID TO THROW AWAY. ALSO TO THE PERSON TRAVELLING UP WITH DANTB10 I HOPE THEY LET YOU GET A SEAT YOU CAN HAVE MINE IF ITS NOT GUNNA BE REFUNDED!
  • edited January 2010
    yeah im afraid another weather casualty here,just took me 4 hours to drive 3 miles from my daughters,so i thought never mind i will go watch the Tigers tomorrow instead play Chelsea,you guessed it "postponed"so a boring saturday for me,but for all of you who manage to get there,best of luck.

PS Anybody can have my seat if its possible.

Fitz
  • edited January 2010
    I'm hoping the trains are running tomorrow.
    It's a real shame for the people who can't make it.  It's snowing here at the moment and blizzards are forecast for tonight between ere and Newcastle.  Better to be safe than sorry imo though for the people further south.
    I hope as many people as possible can make it BUT if there is a greatly reduced field, should the Sky team consider changing the structure somewhat and making it a 7.5k start stack or even 10k?
    Just a thought.

GLA
  • edited January 2010
    IM DEVASTATED ME. TRIED EVERY ANGLE TO GET THERE AFTER EXHAUSTING EVERY POSSIBLE WAY OF GETTING SOME SORT OR REFUND. BUT ITS JUST TOO FAR AND TOO TREACHEROUS TO RISK IT FOR A GAME OF POKER. ALL I BEEN HEARING IS DONT GO OUT UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, AND ALSO FORECAST FOR NEWCASTLE IS ABYSMAL NOT TO MENTION ITS JUST STARTED SNOWING AGAIN HERE AND IVE BEEN PRACTICALLY SNOWED IN ALL WEEK AS IT IS LOL! IF IT GOES AHEAD I HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A BLINDER BUT I FANCY IF IT DOES GO ON THERE WILL BE A FEW CHIPSTACKS SITTING UNATTENDED. IF IT DOESNT GO ON THEN HOPEFULLY WE CAN GET SOME KIND OF REINBURSEMENT AFTER ALL ITS NOT ALL OF US GOT 100 QUID TO THROW AWAY. ALSO TO THE PERSON TRAVELLING UP WITH DANTB10 I HOPE THEY LET YOU GET A SEAT YOU CAN HAVE MINE IF ITS NOT GUNNA BE REFUNDED!
    Posted by JIM_JONES
    Hey MAte, dnt no if you remember me from Manchester, we played side tables together, u went for a smoke wi my mate and your car broke down. Yeah i am goin again with Dantb10, hopefully i can get a game, wish they would let you transfer your seat to me, we will see on the day, Hope to see you at the next 1
  • edited January 2010
    yeah im afraid another weather casualty here,just took me 4 hours to drive 3 miles from my daughters,so i thought never mind i will go watch the Tigers tomorrow instead play Chelsea,you guessed it "postponed"so a boring saturday for me,but for all of you who manage to get there,best of luck. PS Anybody can have my seat if its possible.  Fitz
    Posted by fitzer14
    the hull match is off lol,even tho the pitch is perfect...ridiculous if you ask me
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: SPT Newcastle goes ahead as normal on Saturday : Its not good that theres a few people unable to go, sorry to hear that. After havin a great time at Manchester i couldn't wait to quailfy for Newcastle, been busy at work, i had a few attempts with no sucsses. i also missed the 9 seats that went up for sale the other day, again due to work. Just my luck I wonder if they will put your seat up for sale on the day, i am travelling up with 2 friends Dantb10 and Dodd08 to show my support for them and also the spt, so i can always ask on the day and see if i can buy a seat, from anyone not attending. I wonder if any knows if this is a possiablity? Hopefully see you at Luton SoLack
    Posted by Pool8
    I went to Manchester and paid to get a seat( 3 available on day due to no shows) so be early, be quiet about it, see TK and u have every chance..... GL
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: SPT Newcastle goes ahead as normal on Saturday : the hull match is off lol,even tho the pitch is perfect...ridiculous if you ask me
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    Hi DAVEYZZ m8.called the match off at 6pm more for the safety of travelling fans m8 i think.

Fitz