You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

i give up!

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
burtyboy Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £8.12
villian Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £14.66
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • A

ian1957 Call  £0.10 £0.25 £8.00
BlueNote Fold     
Kefalonian Fold     
DADSARMIE Fold     
burtyboy Call  £0.05 £0.30 £8.07
villian Raise  £0.30 £0.60 £14.36
ian1957 Fold     
burtyboy Call  £0.30 £0.90 £7.77
Flop

• A

burtyboy Bet  £0.45 £1.35 £7.32
villian Call  £0.45 £1.80 £13.91
Turn

burtyboy Bet  £1.80 £3.60 £5.52
villian Call  £1.80 £5.40 £12.11
River

burtyboy Check     
villian Check     
burtyboy Show
  • Q
  • A

vilian Show

villian Win Straight to the 5 £5.13  £17.24
baring in mind the op has no flush draw because he only holds a 2 so any diamond beats him he's called £1.80 on the turn to hit either one of three 4's or one of the two remaing 2's if they're still in play, neither of which do him any good if i've already hit the flush!
my opinion of the cash tables is, you might as well sit down and all chuck your money on the table and be dealt two face up cards each, best hand wins.

Comments

• edited January 2010

Hey - don't give up....

I dnt get ur pre flop play tho, uve limped with AQ, n flatted a raise OOP ... you then lead out twice..

He has the betting lead in the hand, once you hit the ace ur pretty happy right? - I wud be giving him the chance to bet, especially the flop, which I probably raise, then bet out the turn. I dont think hes continuing in the hand hoping to improve, I think he must believe he is good, or maybe he has set up the play to bluff the river. After the turn, theres alot of scare cards for you - maybe this is what he's thinking.

Id just keep it simple bud, ur flop and turn play is fine, simplicity is genius. - However, this fellas raised pre, and cant let you go. Your ace was disguised well by limp calling pre. - More standard, 4 x BB pre, he flats, you fire the flop, with the betting lead, see how much he likes his 2's now. He might float 1, fire the turn, tasty pot with the minimum of fuss!

GL, keep going, DOHH

• ybyb
    edited January 2010
    Raise pre.

Also, if you want to donk bet on the flop (which I'm not a great fan of) I would at least have made it a pot size bet as its a very wet board.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: i give up!:
    Raise pre. Also, if you want to donk bet on the flop (which I'm not a great fan of) I would at least have made it a pot size bet as its a very wet board.
    Posted by yb
    Just a question yb, but why is the flop bet a "donk bet"? He was betting with the best hand.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: i give up! : Just a question yb, but why is the flop bet a "donk bet"? He was betting with the best hand.
    Posted by silentbob
    It will look to the pre flop raiser....like a donk bet!
  • edited January 2010
    bit of history in the preflop play, trying to play my tight game and wait for the opportunaties i,d sat quite a while getting nonplayable hands, i get AQ and everyone folds round to me on the SB i think my normal 3x raise with the big ace is just gona get a fold and i win 10p so i just make up hoping this fella who has been raising plenty will again hike it up, which he does, i hit the flop and bet half the pot, he flat calls, i guess from his previous play if he's hit he raises so im pretty comfortable i'm in front the turn only strenghens my hand by giving me the nut flush draw so i fire a pot size bet, epecting a fold or a bluff raise instead he flat calls miles behind and hits the miracle card!
    it's not loosing the hand or how, as i know in the long run i'll come out in front if i put money in knowing i'm ahead but i just can't get these good hands home on these tables, on the DYM the op folds on the turn 9 out of 10 on the cash the player calls 9 out of 10 and it seems 5 of those they hit, i push on the flop and everyone folds or i get called by a monster. i guess there in lies the difference, on the cash a bad move just means a reload, sit n go it means your out, it is a very different game thats for sure.
  • edited January 2010
    Raise pre. Also, if you want to donk bet on the flop (which I'm not a great fan of) I would at least have made it a pot size bet as its a very wet board.
    Posted by yb
    please forgive me, whats a wet board?
  • edited January 2010
    having given it some thought i think i should add that i don't consider myself a good player and have seen in the last three weeks that even on the 5/10p tables there are some very good players who just don't make many mistakes (if any) i fully expect to loose to these players if i can't avoid them unless i'm having a lucky run and in turn i'm not slating the loose callers, merely trying to understand the calls and find a way of cashing in on them as the good players obviously do.
  • edited January 2010
    so far today ive had jacks gone all in lost to aces

had queens gone all in and lost to aces

both times were in later stages of a double your money tournement

i think sometimes your just unlucky and you have to get on with it!!!
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: i give up! : It will look to the pre flop raiser....like a donk bet!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Thanks DOHHHHHHH, it makes sense now
  • edited January 2010

This is not as terrible as it appears. You say that he doesn't have a flush draw, but yes he does. Even that little deuce is a draw to beat pocket aces.

On the flop he has 2 2s, 4 4s and the backdoor flush which adds up to 2 outs mathematically, so 8 outs. This makes him about 30% yet he only has to call 45 into a 135 pot.

The fact that you're exasparated indicates that you're thinking about your hand in isolation and not your opponent's. His play wasn't exemplary, but you will see a whole lot worse than that! The fact is mate, you let him in - you gave him a chance to beat you when you could have killed him off.

Very interesting hand and thanks for posting it.

• edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: i give up! : Just a question yb, but why is the flop bet a "donk bet"? He was betting with the best hand.
    Posted by silentbob
    Betting into the raiser oop is called a "donk bet", it's the term used for it. For an example watch any hand that Durrrr has played in his life lol.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: i give up! : Betting into the raiser oop is called a "donk bet", it's the term used for it. For an example watch any hand that Durrrr has played in his life lol.
    Posted by kirstii
    Another thought now, Does that mean that there's really not much difference between a "donk bet" & a stop & go then?

This is of course assuming that my understanding of the stop & go is correct (whereby you call a pre flop raise with the intention of betting out on any flop)
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: i give up! : Another thought now, Does that mean that there's really not much difference between a "donk bet" & a stop & go then? This is of course assuming that my understanding of the stop & go is correct (whereby you call a pre flop raise with the intention of betting out on any flop)
    Posted by silentbob
    I think the difference is that the "donk bet" is perceived as a weak bet out and is generally raised by the opponent.
    The "stop & go" bet is a strong bet (usually all-in) indicating that the person who makes the bet can't be "taken off" his hand.

(I could be wrong though!)
  • ybyb
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: i give up! : please forgive me, whats a wet board?
    Posted by burtyboy
    It's when there's a board with multiple draws out (in this case both a flush and straight draw) so you need to bet strongly to protect your hand. Also, it's fair enough if you want to trap with A-Q if there had been no action but in this case with an UTG limper you should raise imo. As played, having got a raise from the BB, maybe you could have 3 bet? That, along with a strong c-bet on the flop should have been enough to get the opponent off the hand.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: i give up! : Another thought now, Does that mean that there's really not much difference between a "donk bet" & a stop & go then? This is of course assuming that my understanding of the stop & go is correct (whereby you call a pre flop raise with the intention of betting out on any flop)
    Posted by silentbob
    A donk bet is any bet which leads into the pre flop raiser, a stop and go is an all in on the flop, generally oop. I'm pretty sure of that anyway, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong
  • edited January 2010
    Apologies if I'm sounding so dumb here, but are we saying that we should always check to the raiser OOP unless we're shoving any flop?

Also, what if the positions are reversed here and we made the call from the big blind. do we bet out the flop if they check it?
  • edited January 2010

Its all in the head Bob, u need to play ur opponent as well as the cards, look at his tendancies.

If Ive called speculatively in the BB from an UTG raiser, n Ive flopped the nuts  say pkt 9s on a 99A flop- how do I get paid?

It all depends on what Ive seen from my oppo before! - How aggro is he? how has he played flops after raising pre in the past?

I might make the "donk" bet into him. I might check, If he C bets reguarly. Its really player specific, and in my opinion, one of the great thrills of playing the game, when the cards r irrelevant (of course theyre relevant but what I mean is i cnt lose) - and its man on man! or woman on woman ;)

If the bloke C bets 90% of the time, he will know that we know that, its guna be hard to check call all the way, coz hes gonna get suspicious. Id "donk" into him......

If the fellas been raising left right n centre, n C betting every flop, maybe the optimum play is to let him fire away!

The question rly is hard to answer, as its so 'circumstance specific' - but all i'd say, is think your play through before u make it! have a plan!

If sum1 donk bets into me 2 handed, I raise 95% of the time, that ones easy!

DOHH
  • ybyb
    edited January 2010
    Apologies if I'm sounding so dumb here, but are we saying that we should always check to the raiser OOP unless we're shoving any flop? Also, what if the positions are reversed here and we made the call from the big blind. do we bet out the flop if they check it?
    Posted by silentbob
    I nearly always check to the raiser OOP, because if I've hit i want to maximise my winnings by giving the pre-flop aggressor the chance to c-bet. And if I miss and decide I want to take a stab at the pot I've got to check to him anyway to balance my range, then I can c/r or fire out on the turn if he doesn't c-bet the flop. But there are certain situations where you may want to bet out OOP, like for example if your opponent isn't c-betting much, or when there are multiple opponents on a draw heavy board and you don't want to risk giving them a free card by checking and you're pretty sure your ahead on the flop.

P.S. Normally the stop and go is used in tournaments when you aren't playing that deep and can be very effective, when you're playing cash and most players are about 100bb's deep it's a lot rarer to see players do it.
  • edited January 2010
    Thanks again for the replies guys, that's why I love this game, so many diverse ways to play hands and the like. It seems that there are only better ways to play hands rather than a specific right or wrong way.

One more question though, what do you mean by balancing your range? I've seen it mentioned a few times in other posts but I don't understand it.
  • ybyb
    edited January 2010
    One more question though, what do you mean by balancing your range? I've seen it mentioned a few times in other posts but I don't understand it.
    Posted by silentbob
    Basically it means over a session you will play different strength hands in the same way, so that your opponent will find it difficult to put you on a range of hands. For example I could decide to c/r top 2 pair in one hand, then the next hand I c/r an OESD. In the first case I've got a strong made hand already whereas in the second I'm semi-bluffing, but by playing them the same its going to be a lot harder for my opponent to get any reads on me, so the perceived range of hands that I could be holding in any one hand should hopefully be a lot wider.
  • edited January 2010
    Cheers yb, very helpful. Thanks for all your advice on this thread & also to DOHHHHHHH as well.

I've already tried to incorporate a couple of things into my game over the last couple of days & have ended up in profit so long may it continue.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: i give up! : I think the difference is that the "donk bet" is perceived as a weak bet out and is generally raised by the opponent. The "stop & go" bet is a strong bet (usually all-in) indicating that the person who makes the bet can't be "taken off" his hand. (I could be wrong though!)
    Posted by MereNovice
    Interesting discussion about the 'donk' bet and the 'stop and go'.

Personally, if I hit a hand I always lead out into the pre-flop raiser (100% convinced this is the best play, can be debated on another thread), can this tick both boxes? :-)

BB
  • edited January 2010

I nearly always check to the raiser OOP, because if I've hit i want to maximise my winnings by giving the pre-flop aggressor the chance to c-bet. Posted by yb
    AAaarrrhggghhhh! Fight Fight Fight!!!

When you finally hit a hand, LEADING into the raiser is the best play by a hundred million miles. Those who check-raise are generally playing it wrong.
  • ybyb
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: i give up! : AAaarrrhggghhhh! Fight Fight Fight!!! When you finally hit a hand, LEADING into the raiser is the best play by a hundred million miles. Those who check-raise are generally playing it wrong.
    Posted by BigBluster
    This is very exploitable imo. If you're saying you bet out whenever you hit the flop that means your opponent will know when you haven't hit, and can take the pot away from you with a c-bet after you've checked. I do it occassionally to vary up my game, but I don't think its the best way to extract value in general. It's fair enough if you have a different opinion, but to say that anyone who doesn't agree with you is playing it wrong is a bit arrogant I think.
  • ybyb
    edited January 2010
    Cheers yb, very helpful. Thanks for all your advice on this thread & also to DOHHHHHHH as well. Posted by silentbob
    No problem mate.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: i give up! : This is very exploitable imo. If you're saying you bet out whenever you hit the flop that means your opponent will know when you haven't hit, and can take the pot away from you with a c-bet after you've checked. I do it occassionally to vary up my game, but I don't think its the best way to extract value in general. It's fair enough if you have a different opinion, but to say that anyone who doesn't agree with you is playing it wrong is a bit arrogant I think.
    Posted by yb
    I think that variety is the key here.
    People often state that you should check-raise an aggressive player who has raised pre-flop since you can be sure that he will c-bet.
    In fact, the c-bet is so endemic that check-raising is an option against 90% (don't quote me there) of players.
    If you lead out with a strong flopped hand into an aggressive pre-flop raiser they may well perceive it as a donk bet and raise you which gives you more value.
    As in most areas, there are many approaches and choosing which one to use at any given time is the key. Always playing it the same way is, of course, easily exploitable.