You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Only one CT/ Cricket!

edited January 2010 in The Shed

Set the scene....

Cape Town , 4 sessions left, cracking pitch, decent attack... ( NO SPINNER)

Ignore tradition...

Eng set 450 to win....IF they approached the run chase, like they would a 1 day innings, surely they would stand more chance of getting a result out of the game! The pitch is a belter, theres 3 slips n a gully to the seamers, and 3 men round the bat to the so called spinner....

If they would just have the mindset of a ODI, surely they wud clear these fielders out the way. - The field is pushed back, and the bowling can be milked, no pressue, easy runs. Theres plenty of time left, surely blocking isnt the option!

Its soooooooooooo frustrating watching!! What wud Shewag do?

DOHH

Comments

• edited January 2010
    We have only just mastered what to do in ODI's m8 - about 15 years after all the other countries!  No chance we're going for it. We're gonna shut up shop and hope for a draw.

What that means is that by lunch tomorrow it'll be all over unfortunately.
  • edited January 2010
    theres only 15 mins left......so they dont really need to lose another wicket and start fresh 2moro.

i think they can do it 2moro with pieterson in...........oh well there he goes as i type
  • edited January 2010

Lol I know what u guys r saying, but the game is changing, we're seeing teams score 250 in 20 overs, with only 4 close fielders! - Theres 4 fielders under these guys noses, n theyre kreeping at 2/3 an over.

Its all mindset, why not go for it? Pietersons getting out blocking time after time.

Im sure If they just tried it, they wud succeed, maybe not chasing 500, but who knows!

• edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Only one CT/ Cricket!:
    Lol I know what u guys r saying, but the game is changing, we're seeing teams score 250 in 20 overs, with only 4 close fielders! - Theres 4 fielders under these guys noses, n theyre kreeping at 2/3 an over. Its all mindset, why not go for it? Pietersons getting out blocking time after time. Im sure If they just tried it, they wud succeed, maybe not chasing 500, but who knows!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    It's very easy to say Doh, much harder to do. It's all very well scoring 200+in 20 overs when you know that's ALL you have to bat with 10 wickets available!

This was never going to be an easy target for any team in the world (yes even India and Sehwag) because the loss of just two wickets at any time in the innings adds a whole different complexion to the chase.

It's the reason why Australia lost the last match of the ashes. If that had been the first innings in the same conditions, they prob would have made 600+ and been able to declare, but because they were chasing a score to either win or lose the game, it just becomes a completely different game and is the reason why it's called TEST cricket.

BTW, I'm not anti odi or 20/20 at all, I love all forms of the game internationally, but appreciate they cannot all be played in the same way.

Whatever, here's hoping colly and co can somehow survive2moro, it'll be another epic if they do!
  • EENEEN
    edited January 2010
    I dont like cricket... oh noo.... i LOVE it!
  • edited January 2010

I just wonder - one day, teams will approach a test innings with an ODI mindset....its inevitable its already changing. - Give a batsman 3 slips a gully and a short leg, and tell him to play as he would in a 20 20 - and he shud have a strike rate of over 200. - Im only saying do it for 4/5 overs to push the field back, then play normally again! - makes survival easier if theres less close fielders!

Anyway so far so good this mornin!

• edited January 2010
    The likes of Ian Bell has a lot to do to keep his place in the England Test Squad and i've got a feeling that England will take the sensible route and play for the draw. It would be awesome to see England go for it but why squander a golden opportunity to win a test series when in reality the cards in this test match are partly stacked against England facing the so called world no 1 test team that are world leaders in playing mind games - NOT!!!

However if anyone says to me South Africa's spin pair of Harris and Duminy are going to frighten the England batsmen - WHAT TEST MATCH ARE YOU WATCHING LOL!!!

Harris is just an average spinner that did not do miracles playing county cricket for Warwickshire and Duminy although he can turn it a bit needs to bowl more regular for him to be taken seriously as a decent Mark Waugh style partnership breaking bowler. The Problem South Africa have got is they have NEVER EVER had an out and out match winning spinner since they returned to the International fold in 1991.

Symcox,Boje,Eksteen,Adams have all been tried and tested and have all fallen by the wayside. Rudi Van der Merwe who incidentally has played local league cricket in my neck of the woods and is a regular in SA's ODI side probably won't ever get in the test side as ODI's are more of his thing. Apart from Ntini and Steyn, SA's attack looks very average on paper and when they play the likes of India.Pakistan,Sri Lanka and Bangladesh in the sub continent, i can't see many wickets taken by SA spinners.
  • edited January 2010
    Also i still cannot believe how Pakistan made Nathan Hauritz look soooooooo good in the best squandering i've ever seen to lose a test match.

Hauritz is SLIGHTLY better than Harris but not that much.

174 on that track should have been a piece of cake for Pakistan to get but that's the typical dross you get from that side when the side in-depth do have a lot of talent and for me no one will ever replace God (That's Wasim Akram to all you non Lancashire supporters lol!) although that Mohammed Aamer looks a quality prospect and has some decent pace.
  • edited January 2010
    Also i still cannot believe how Pakistan made Nathan Hauritz look soooooooo good in the best squandering i've ever seen to lose a test match. Hauritz is SLIGHTLY better than Harris but not that much. 174 on that track should have been a piece of cake for Pakistan to get but that's the typical dross you get from that side when the side in-depth do have a lot of talent and for me no one will ever replace God (That's Wasim Akram to all you non Lancashire supporters lol!) although that Mohammed Aamer looks a quality prospect and has some decent pace.
    Posted by OnlyOneCT
    To wake up to that score yesterday and the Aussies winning was horrid!  Sure we'll do exactly the same as Pakistan next winter though lol.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Only one CT/ Cricket! : To wake up to that score yesterday and the Aussies winning was horrid!  Sure we'll do exactly the same as Pakistan next winter though lol.
    Posted by phil12uk
    It wasn't that horrid - I made £100 on it!
  • edited January 2010
    Surely u didnt bring urself to be on the Aussies vince?
  • edited January 2010
    Sometimes the head (and the wallet) rules the heart.
  • edited January 2010
       The aussie victory was almost inevitable. Both winning and losing are habit forming, Australia are in the habit of winning and for several years pakistan have been in the habit of losing. England however seem to be in the habit of going for heroic draws
  • edited January 2010
    The draw is already 4/6 on Betfair.
    That's a bit short for my taste.
  • edited January 2010
    Jeez we're making life hard for ourselves!!!
  • edited January 2010
    You wouldn't want it to be dull, would you?
    The draw is now 1.23 (or 2/9).
  • edited January 2010

Again, what a finish. Well done Eng for showing such steel again.

And getting results like this away from home without Freddie or any meaningful contribution from KP would have been unimaginable even only a year ago, so the future looks bright.
  • edited January 2010
      Everytime we need to work to get a draw we can always rely on one thing. Paul Collingwood. Enough said
  • edited January 2010
      Everytime we need to work to get a draw we can always rely on one thing. Paul Collingwood. Enough said
    Posted by Talon
    Yes, the "Ginger Ninja" is turning himself into a bit of a legend. What's so great right now is that they really are playing as a TEAM. A batting unit which has guys averaging 30 at 8 and 9, then a nightwatchman who can actually hang around and after that a number 11 who can take it over the line.

Also, the bowlers may not always run through a team, but they never let their heads drop and keep at the opposition. A complete reversal in attitude and application from the shambles of the nineties.
  • edited January 2010
      As the team stands now we have got a great balance and great hope for the future spearheaded by cook and broad. We are only missing 1 thing and that is a good strike bowler. Onions is a good prober and Anderson is brilliant when the ball is moving around but neither have the fire power to upend a team. Broad may turn out to be the man we need but it is too early to tell with him as he is still trying to find his correct role in the team. But things do look bright for the moment. Unlike the womens team who are really struggling, struggling to find an opponent who can push them that is. It is high time that the England Womens Cricket team got more recognition for being one of the most complete and dominant sporting teams in the world
  • edited January 2010
      As the team stands now we have got a great balance and great hope for the future spearheaded by cook and broad. We are only missing 1 thing and that is a good strike bowler. Onions is a good prober and Anderson is brilliant when the ball is moving around but neither have the fire power to upend a team. Broad may turn out to be the man we need but it is too early to tell with him as he is still trying to find his correct role in the team. But things do look bright for the moment. Unlike the womens team who are really struggling, struggling to find an opponent who can push them that is. It is high time that the England Womens Cricket team got more recognition for being one of the most complete and dominant sporting teams in the world
    Posted by Talon
    I've been to a couple of Women's ODI's (1 at Hove and 1 at the home of cricket Old Trafford!) and there have been some superb matches especially against the convicts and i totally agree with you Talon that the England Womens Team should get more recognition as for probably the last 20 years they have been with the odd exception of a few minor hiccups the most dominant force in Women's World Cricket.
  • edited January 2010

Theres only 2/3 decent teams though, its hardly world domination! well it is, but the term sounds alot better than it is.

Surprised to see Ian Bell in the B squad! - Whats that all about?

Ive heard the selectors answer, but I disagree, if he scores 3 hundreds in 3 innings, its not guna prove owt to the seectors coz the doubt is about his temprament and ability to perform at the top level.

Engands approach to the nxt test on thurs, which I personally CANNOT WAITTTTT for!!!! :):):) So perfect watching cricket in SA, its on as soon as ya wek up! ... Neway....

What ya rekon? Gunna make hard work of it! The usual stuff about "going out to win the game" and all that will obviously come out over the next few days, but r we gonna? really? - I doubt it! I love test cricket, n give me 5 days over 1 day anyday! lol - But iI really wud like to see our attacking batsmen, (Pieterson, Prior imparticular) - Go out and attack!!

Can't wait, hope it doesnt rain!! lol!

DOHH
  • edited January 2010

It's always tough to be better than the Aussies in anything, well except snooker, darts and football... but you know what I mean. So yes it's great as Talon says to see an English Women's team being as "ruthless" as you'd normally expect to see an Aussie team to be.

Bell's in the lions squad to try and get him back into the odi team, which I don't think his game is suited to. Certainly not now we have Morgan, who has just played so well there recently.

And England may have no choice but to go for the win in the last test, because it's almost certainly going to be a "result inducing" wicket so they're unlikely to be able to grind it out like they did in the last one.

Can't wait for it either, should be a cracker.

• edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Only one CT/ Cricket! : Yes, the "Ginger Ninja" is turning himself into a bit of a legend. What's so great right now is that they really are playing as a TEAM. A batting unit which has guys averaging 30 at 8 and 9, then a nightwatchman who can actually hang around and after that a number 11 who can take it over the line. Also, the bowlers may not always run through a team, but they never let their heads drop and keep at the opposition. A complete reversal in attitude and application from the shambles of the nineties.
    Posted by JingleMa
    I recon they chose the right option, given that now they can t lose the series. Collinwood is a cracking player and always reliable. Pieterson tho is struggling lately, Trott is new to this level and Cook is not a quick scorer so all in all I m happy with the reargard action. But it was only just .
    Now if Sir Ian was in his prime......