You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Poker reads

MT4MT4
edited July 2014 in Poker Chat
Off to Vegas tomorrow but need a good poker book to read. I don't want how to play guides, just interested in fiction and entertaining non-fiction. I've read Coren's book and the excellent 'One To a Million' by Tim Cole - but just looking for decent plane read, please!!

Comments

• edited July 2014

Autobiography of Devilfish is pretty good and entertaining. No strat or any of that bo11-ocks, just stories galore.

• edited July 2014
    Have recently read The Biggest Game in Town by Al Alvarez. Would definitely recommend. Here's some guff about it:

In 1983, British poet, poker player, theatre critic, rock climber, and novelist Al Alvarez published The Biggest Game in Town, an account of the 1981 World Series of Poker ("poker's equivalent of Wimbledon"), won by Stuey Ungar. One critic called it "the origin of contemporary poker literature." The London Evening Standard calls it "probably the best book on poker ever written." Jim McManus, author of Positively Fifth Street calls it "the seminal book on the literature of poker. Gorgeously written. Very cool."
  • edited July 2014
     Aces and Kings by Michael Kaplan and Brad Reagan. It is around 15 short stories about famous poker players. Like Stu Ungar, Chip Reece, Doyle Brunson and loads more.

Also Every Hand Revealed by Gus Hanson, it'a a bit of a learming book. It's a really fun book tho, I couldn't put it down.
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Poker reads:
    Have recently read The Biggest Game in Town by Al Alvarez. Would definitely recommend. Here's some guff about it: In 1983, British poet, poker player, theatre critic, rock climber, and novelist Al Alvarez published  The Biggest Game in Town , an account of the 1981 World Series of Poker ("poker's equivalent of Wimbledon"), won by Stuey Ungar. One critic called it "the origin of contemporary poker literature." The London Evening Standard calls it "probably the best book on poker ever written." Jim McManus, author of  Positively Fifth Street  calls it "the seminal book on the literature of poker. Gorgeously written. Very cool."
    Posted by SR23
    You would probably enjoy Big Deal by Anthony Holden. Well worth a look
  • edited July 2014
    Thanks Jac35 - have read the follow up, Bigger Deal, but not his first one. 
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Poker reads:
    Thanks Jac35 - have read the follow up, Bigger Deal, but not his first one. 
    Posted by SR23
    Bigger Deal was a bit of a disappointment in my view. Don't let it put you off Big Deal.
  • edited July 2014
    Of the ones mentioned that I read didn't think biggest game in town was all that
    Big deal very good, bigger deal not so much
    Really liked positively 5th street
    Every hand revealed is good, might fall under strat though

I'll recommend 2
    The man behind the shades - Stu Ungar biography
    The professor, the banker and the suicide king.  Account of when businessman took on regs from high stakes games ( mostly the bellagio guys) at lhe and almost won