You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Cash game bad beats

I'm not sure if there is any advice to my problems at the moment but I'm playing mostly cash games and i seem to have a reccuring theme of steadily doing well, picking up small-medium pots and just crash into an incredible bad beat that takes all the good work and more away.

For example I was playing 50/1 blinds and was doing well, gradually made 50 quid or so and then lost 150 with a crazy house over house, which I don't think was unavoidable.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

Cheers

Comments

• edited July 2014
    post some of these hand onto the cash thread and ask for peoples thought.

by the sounds of it the hands you lost big pot with are not bad beats at all, they just a cooler which was unavoidible, the timeof bad beats, you either playing a strong but vunerible hand weakly ie AA limping, not taking the chance to give the hand up ie AsAc on 3 heart flop or the opponent made awful calls and just got very luck with say runner runner
  • edited July 2014
    I have just been playing the smallest cash tables and the same pattern of events has repeated several times now.

I steadily win the vast majority of times i play then I get one or two sessions where I get completely slaughtered either by bad beats or just situations that are pretty much unavoidable.

Im analysing a lot of my hand histories now but im really struggling to see why i cant stay ahead of tables where plenty seem to call raises with 72 or simply have no idea about position or bet sizing.

All I can think of is that im not getting the full value on all my winning days to make up for the inevitable disasters but it is disillusioning to win so often yet not win overall.
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Cash game bad beats:
    I have just been playing the smallest cash tables and the same pattern of events has repeated several times now. I steadily win the vast majority of times i play then I get one or two sessions where I get completely slaughtered either by bad beats or just situations that are pretty much unavoidable. Im analysing a lot of my hand histories now but im really struggling to see why i cant stay ahead of tables where plenty seem to call raises with 72 or simply have no idea about position or bet sizing. All I can think of is that im not getting the full value on all my winning days to make up for the inevitable disasters but it is disillusioning to win so often yet not win overall.
    Posted by Ben444
    RAKE!

The huge rake doesn't make the games unbeatable, but it certainly makes it a struggle.
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Cash game bad beats : RAKE! The huge rake doesn't make the games unbeatable, but it certainly makes it a struggle.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Correct - and measure it as a %age of your profit on a round, and not the total in the pot. Certainly an eye opener.
  • edited July 2014
    On reflection I think the rake is a very significant factor and as you say it doesnt make the game unbeatable for some but I think it is unbeatable for me. I enjoy the game very much but I think its time to call it a day. Im not interested in just being a recreational player and despite the hours and effort dont seem to make any headway.

Fair play to people who make regular money on here I certainly hugely underestimated the skill, time and determination needed to do it.
  • edited July 2014
    On reflection I think the rake is a very significant factor and as you say it doesnt make the game unbeatable for some but I think it is unbeatable for me. I enjoy the game very much but I think its time to call it a day. Im not interested in just being a recreational player and despite the hours and effort dont seem to make any headway. Fair play to people who make regular money on here I certainly hugely underestimated the skill, time and determination needed to do it.
    Posted by Ben444
    . . . and let's face it - it does help if you're born lucky !
  • edited August 2014
    post some of these hand onto the cash thread and ask for peoples thought. by the sounds of it the hands you lost big pot with are not bad beats at all, they just a cooler which was unavoidible, the timeof bad beats, you either playing a strong but vunerible hand weakly ie AA limping, not taking the chance to give the hand up ie AsAc on 3 heart flop or the opponent made awful calls and just got very luck with say runner runner
    Posted by craigcu12
    Took a bit of a break on the cash games until today and I very much regret that now. Was going along alright, up about 50 for the day then picked up pocket 7s and called into a 4way pot. Flop comes 10 7 4 i think with 2 spades. I check, guy raises and the guy to his left shoves for £100. Of course I call and the last guy calles with a flush draw(which I would've folded). I can handle the loss because I've won a bit in the tournaments recently but is still very sickening, think i'll focus on tournaments from now on.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Cash game bad beats : RAKE! The huge rake doesn't make the games unbeatable, but it certainly makes it a struggle.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Although I do agree that the rake will be a significant factor I don't belive this is directly related to my misfortune. I seem to grind well and can steadily win (even with rake) up until a cooler ruins it for me.