You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How to Spend a Friend's Money (And Get Away With It)...

edited July 2014 in Poker Chat

All right, here’s the deal:

I’ve been out of work now for eight weeks, after my last employer decided to throw in the towel on my time there. I don’t know what happened really. I mean, it ain’t like I slept with his wife or anything…* Not to worry – I’m over the bitterness, and I’ve got a second interview with a financial institution tomorrow. Fingers-crossed, because you don’t really appreciate how much money you spend until you don’t have any coming in. If this goes on much longer I may have to rent out my body by the hour down at the harbour.

As well as the unemployment I’ve had a few ongoing family issues, so all things considered I’ve managed to cook myself a purty little mess over these last few months. As a result, the poker – and life in general – has had to take somewhat of a back seat while I try to get all my ducks in a row. No surprises there – it happens to the best of us.

I didn’t have any real intention to come back to the baize anytime soon, but one of my friends decided it would be fun to invest £500 in me, at least in part to help take my mind off things. He’s good that way. It’s effectively a low-level, poor-man’s, not-worth-the-paper-it’s-written-on, mostly-a-bit-of-fun, staking system. At first I resisted. We’re mates. I don’t want to take his money. But he’s cool and said he has ‘all but written it off’. His words, not mine. Where’s the trust, man?

Anyway, I’m going to use this so I can keep track of what I do with his money. What that will be, I ain’t decided yet, but we shall begin before the week is out…

*I did not sleep with his wife.

Comments

• edited July 2014
    In Response to How to Spend a Friend's Money (And Get Away With It)...:
    All right, here’s the deal:   I’ve been out of work now for eight weeks, after my last employer decided to throw in the towel on my time there. I don’t know what happened really. I mean, it ain’t like I slept with his wife or anything…* Not to worry – I’m over the bitterness, and I’ve got a second interview with a financial institution tomorrow. Fingers-crossed, because you don’t really appreciate how much money you spend until you don’t have any coming in. If this goes on much longer I may have to rent out my body by the hour down at the harbour.   As well as the unemployment I’ve had a few ongoing family issues, so all things considered I’ve managed to cook myself a purty little mess over these last few months. As a result, the poker – and life in general – has had to take somewhat of a back seat while I try to get all my ducks in a row. No surprises there – it happens to the best of us.   I didn’t have any real intention to come back to the baize anytime soon, but one of my friends decided it would be fun to invest £500 in me, at least in part to help take my mind off things. He’s good that way. It’s effectively a low-level, poor-man’s, not-worth-the-paper-it’s-written-on, mostly-a-bit-of-fun, staking system. At first I resisted. We’re mates. I don’t want to take his money. But he’s cool and said he has ‘all but written it off’. His words, not mine. Where’s the trust, man?   Anyway, I’m going to use this so I can keep track of what I do with his money. What that will be, I ain’t decided yet, but we shall begin before the week is out…     *I did not sleep with his wife.
    Posted by Slipwater
    Good luck with the interview buddy.
    Hope things sort themselves out soon.
    PS
    Was his wife fit?

• edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: How to Spend a Friend's Money (And Get Away With It)...:
    In Response to How to Spend a Friend's Money (And Get Away With It)... : Good luck with the interview buddy. Hope things sort themselves out soon. PS Was his wife fit?
    Posted by VespaPX
    Thanks.

I'm not sure - I never saw her from the front :)
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: How to Spend a Friend's Money (And Get Away With It)... : Thanks. I'm not sure - I never saw her from the front :)
    Posted by Slipwater
    Best way ! :-)
  • edited July 2014
    All the best mate, Hope things work out for you asap.
  • edited July 2014
    GL Brian!!!

Stay positive, Stuff works out.
  • edited July 2014
    GL with jobby thing (you'll walk it )
    With a (free) £500 br witch you will spin up, I have no doubt.
    Life will be all the more sweeter for you slippy lad.
    GL and run golden.

Regards Alan 
  • edited July 2014
    Hey Bri,

Sorry to hear about your job.

All the best with the inetrview and hope things turn around soon for you.

And good luck with the poker:)

What are you going to be playing?
  • edited July 2014
    Hey Bri, Sorry to hear about your job. All the best with the inetrview and hope things turn around soon for you. And good luck with the poker:) What are you going to be playing?
    Posted by LARSON7
    Poker, at a guess.
  • edited July 2014
    Hey mate hope everything works out for you soon and gl with the interview.

Pokerwise thats good your mate giving you that cash for a wee bankroll if I was yourself I would play 10nl and small mtts and i`m sure you will do well.

good to have you back on the forum even though pains me to say it :)
  • edited July 2014
    Thanks for the positivity guys... I think I'll kick things off tonight with a few MTTs.
  • edited July 2014
    Thanks for the positivity guys... I think I'll kick things off tonight with a few MTTs.
    Posted by Slipwater
    And some wins:))

7:15 UKPC freeroll is great Slip, usually only 150ish runners with 6 places paid and just take the cash:)

• edited July 2014
    Also have you checked out the HU Sit and Go promo? 50 games @atleast a fiver, top 16 for ROI are gtd atleast £500.

You would crush this!
  • edited July 2014
    Oh well, I just blagged myself a career change. Looks like I may have done too well in my first interview on Tuesday, because I was offered (and accepted, of course) a much better position that - on paper, at least - I ain't qualified for! Still, it's reassuring when a stranger puts faith in you... now I just have to live up to the Brian I showed them across the desk :)

I start on August 1st.
  • edited July 2014
  • edited July 2014

Congrats on the job and GL with this venture.

....if it is what Larson has suggested, do you have to work a week in hand?
  • edited July 2014
    Congrats on the job and GL with this venture. ....if it is what Larson has suggested, do you have to work a week in hand?
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Haha - that's pretty funny for early afternoon.

Besides, I think I have exhausted my 'time in hand' lately ;)
  • edited July 2014
    Oh well, I just blagged myself a career change. Looks like I may have done too well in my first interview on Tuesday, because I was offered (and accepted, of course) a much better position that - on paper, at least - I ain't qualified for! Still, it's reassuring when a stranger puts faith in you... now I just have to live up to the Brian I showed them across the desk :) I start on August 1st.
    Posted by Slipwater
    Well done Slips! I'm guessing it's summit to do with fashion giving your fashion sense? ;-))
  • edited July 2014
    congrats and gl in new job now run up that br
  • edited July 2014
    I start on August 1st.
    Posted by Slipwater
    Congrats, best of luck in the new job.
  • edited July 2014
    Nice one! All best in your new ventures
  • edited July 2014
    All right, I've only played about three and a half hours of poker in the last three and a half months, so as I was feeling a little 'camera shy', I decided to dip my toe in the waters last night with a couple of small tournaments. I played the £400 Bounty Hunter and the £100 Deep Stack. I did nothing whatsoever in the former, and couldn't even pick up any bounties along the way. In the latter I was doing well - led the way with about 25 players left - but eventually got caught out when I shoved twelve big blinds with QQ and was called by A9 off, only for him to run out the ace high flush...
    Tournament Buy-In Position Paid Profit Balance
    £400 BH 2.30 40/205 23 -2.30 497.70
    £100 Deep Stack 2.20 10/69 9 -2.20 495.50
  • edited July 2014
    Congratulations on the new job Brian...

RUN GOLDEN with the poker too.

best wishes,
    Ian.
  • edited July 2014
    Good to see you back Slip - congrats on the new job and all the best running up the roll.

As long as your BRM is spot on then no doubt the initial roll will be doubled in the not too distant future!
  • edited July 2014
    Lovely to see you back Slip and congrats on the job :)
    Super good luck with your mates money!
    Love Ducky
  • edited July 2014

Congrats on the job mate, really pleased for you. Hopefully you can buy some decent shirts now!

• edited July 2014
    Congrats on the job mate, really pleased for you. Hopefully you can buy some decent shirts now!
    Posted by MattBates
    haha post of the month
  • edited July 2014
    Posted by MattBates
    Haha - I will have you know those shirts are not cheap!
  • edited July 2014
    Didnt take too long to get a new position sorted m8,did it?You,ll be grand.
    Be good 
    Paul
  • edited July 2014
    My game has exhibited a bit of a slow puncture over the last couple of days, since I started spending my mate's money. At the end of last night's shenanigans my tournament record was as follows:
    Tournament Buy-In Position Paid Profit Balance  
    £400 BH 2.30 40/205 23 -2.30 497.70  
    £100 Deep Stack 2.20 10/69 9 -2.20 495.50  
    £150 BH 3.30 12/63 9 -2.17 493.33  
    £200 BH 5.75 39/46 6 -5.75 487.58  
    Orfordable 3.30 92/110 13 -3.30 484.28  
    £400 Mega Stack 5.50 38/99 12 -5.50 478.78  
    So, at various times throughout the day, I sat down at a 5p/10p cash table to break things up a little. I didn't make much at all - I turned a total spend of £40 into £48.10 - but at this stage, profit is profit, so my balance at the moment is...

£486.88
  • edited July 2014
    I only played a couple of tournaments yesterday, but I did manage my first cash since returning to the fold. It was a little scrappy, but it's nice to begin the climb. Yes, you're absolutely right, I shouldn't be playing a £22 tournament with a £500 bankroll - but I never claimed my management skills were exemplary...
    Tournament Buy-In Position Paid P/L Balance  
    £750 BH 5.75 85/188 21 5.75 473.03  
    £1k BH 22 9/68 9 13.05 486.08  
    I had another cash session yesterday as well which ended in the black.  In total my couple of forays on the 5p/10p tables have brought in £21.10, making my running total:

£507.18