You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

A problem with ladies up against a sexy reg.

edited July 2014 in Tournament Strategy
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
REG Small blind  10.00 10.00 6095.00
Big blind  20.00 30.00 5180.00
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

tamara1993 Fold     
Raise  100.00 130.00 4745.00
Mohican Call  100.00 230.00 4310.00
Matt237 Raise  380.00 610.00 4590.00
REG Raise  875.00 1485.00 5220.00
XFold     
Fold     
Mohican Fold     
Matt237 Raise  1070.00 2555.00 3520.00
REG Call  565.00 3120.00 4655.00
Flop

REG Check     
Matt237 Check     
Turn

REG Check     
Matt237 Check     
River

REG Check     
Matt237

Villain is a very solid player who i have a lot of respect for. I don't really have a read on squeezes though. Is small 5betting a good line to take pre flop considering we have position and control post flop and if we flat the 4bet we can get into trouble on dry flops? And as played, can we bet the river for value? In the heat of the moment this hand really confused me, plus the fact one of the players said as he was folding to the cold 4 bet 'I have a big hand here' (player x) and the man who also opened said that too (player Y). Bizarre dynamics all round, but advice welcome please on the bits in bold.

Comments

• edited July 2014
    I think your3b is a little too big ip

Personally I might just fold to a cold 4b here early in a tournament. Depends a bit on whether reg thinks you can squeeze light and whether other 2 villains are fishy. If he is solid it's likely he has a big hand this deep at low blind levels imo

Calling 4b>>5b imo. What you doing if he 6bets?

As played I prob bet turn, definitely bet river now. 

• edited July 2014
    Prefer calling the 4-bet personally. When you 5-bet you force villain to fold all of his 4-bet bluffs and only continue with a range that has QQ in bad shape. (Usually, but this time they flatted lol)

I'd be quite confused as well when your 5-bet gets flatted. I would pretty much expect a shove or fold 99% of the time here pre. I'd personally bet the flop really really small something like 850ish.
  • edited July 2014
    Suppose i'll add a bit more to the discussion.

I think your3b is a little too big ip Personally I might just fold to a cold 4b here early in a tournament. Depends a bit on whether reg thinks you can squeeze light and whether other 2 villains are fishy. If he is solid it's likely he has a big hand this deep at low blind levels imo Calling 4b>>5b imo. What you doing if he 6bets? As played I prob bet turn, definitely bet river now. 
    Posted by grantorino
    After a 5x open and call by 2 fish, i think 380 is ok. The bit in bold is probably why i wasn't folding, I had squeezed a couple of times before this, this hand played towards the end of level 1. If he jams i'm almost certain it's AA so we can fold. Do agree i should have probably stabbed the turn but by the time we get to river i think i will be ahead often so went quite small.

Prefer calling the 4-bet personally. When you 5-bet you force villain to fold all of his 4-bet bluffs and only continue with a range that has QQ in bad shape. (Usually, but this time they flatted lol) I'd be quite confused as well when your 5-bet gets flatted. I would pretty much expect a shove or fold 99% of the time here pre. I'd personally bet the flop really really small something like 850ish.
    Posted by 77Chris91

Rather not pot control flop and maybe stab the turn? 
  • edited July 2014
    Hi Matt

For what it's worth, I'm betting the flop quite heavy too see where I am.  What was the logic in checking down to the river?

Yes, I'm worried that he has KK or AA, but  flop is about the best you can hope for with QQ imho.  Others showing pre flop evidence of big hands reduce the risk that he has KK or AA perhaps.
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: A problem with ladies up against a sexy reg.:
    Hi Matt For what it's worth, I'm betting the flop quite heavy too see where I am.  What was the logic in checking down to the river? Yes, I'm worried that he has KK or AA, but  flop is about the best you can hope for with QQ imho.  Others showing pre flop evidence of big hands reduce the risk that he has KK or AA perhaps.
    Posted by mattprawn
    I think AA jams pre so i did discount this.

His 5bet flat range is somewhat confusing but will be v narrow i think, weighted towards TT+. AK probably folds or jams to the 5bet. QQ will be unlikely as we have 2 blockers but it's never out of the question. After i check flop and he checks turn i still think KK could be controlling and allowing me to stab. After his river check i think KK becomes more unlikely as i think he should bet KK for value on river, and it looks like he wants a cheap showdown with TT-QQ, which why i value bet river very small. 

• edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: A problem with ladies up against a sexy reg.:
    Suppose i'll add a bit more to the discussion. After a 5x open and call by 2 fish, i think 380 is ok. The bit in bold is probably why i wasn't folding, I had squeezed a couple of times before this, this hand played towards the end of level 1. If he jams i'm almost certain it's AA so we can fold. Do agree i should have probably stabbed the turn but by the time we get to river i think i will be ahead often so went quite small. Rather not pot control flop and maybe stab the turn
    Posted by Matt237
    Think your giving the villain a freeroll by checking the flop with all their A high's. Personally I'm going like 850 flop, jam turn. I'd only be concerned about AA I think KK jams pre pretty much always.

Got to bet really small imo. When were bluffing we don't want to be betting very big as it's pot committing given the stack sizes so we obv have to bet small with our value as well.

As played I think just bet river small but I doubt your getting called. Probably by JJ only.
  • edited July 2014
    Why do you think AA jams pre? It's a perfect spot for AA to just flat because there is already a ton of money in the pot and getting it in post-flop won't be hard. I played a hand in the super roller last night where I had AA. I just flat pre to their 3/4-bet (can't recall which) and stacked their TT when the flop came 888. Was somewhat lucky there were no overcards and it was the perfect flop but had I 4-bet/5-bet them then their TT might have folded pre. 

Also planning to 5-bet/fold QQ because you think they're only going to shove with AA is really bad. If we think that they're only going to ship AA, maybe KK over a 5-bet but you think they are 4-betting much wider than that with bluffs, then we should just be flatting the 4-bet. We get more money out of villains bluffs post-flop this way. 5-bet instead with bluff hands - if you think they won't continue with anything but AA and maybe KK then the 5-bet is going to be super profitable if they are 4-betting too wide.