You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

I quit

edited July 2014 in Poker Chat
I cant take it any more, after almost 5 weeks of constant outdraws, coolers and everyone hitting gutshots and 2 outers everytime I get money in ahead or a big pot. Im obviously rubbish and unlucky which is a bad combination.

Really is my all time low and I quit.

Comments

• edited July 2014
    Get back on cheap tournaments until you are enjoying it again Craig. Good player!
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to I quit:
    I cant take it any more, after almost 5 weeks of constant outdraws, coolers and everyone hitting gutshots and 2 outers everytime I get money in ahead or a big pot. Im obviously rubbish and unlucky which is a bad combination. Really is my all time low and I quit.
    Posted by CraigSG1
    Hi Craig,please reconsider this in the cold light of day,I have played on some tables you have been on and IMO you have a very good solid game and are a nice chap also,perhaps have a break for a week or so,let the dust settle,etc,etc.hope to see you back at the tables soon.good luck.
  • edited July 2014
    Yeah, take some time off the tables. You know your game is there, but the universe won't always throw the chips your way.

Keep on truckin'.
  • edited July 2014
    Hey Craig,

Sorry to hear you have been running bad.

Poker is always going to be there, whether thats next week, next month, next year.

I don't imagine there is any poker player out there that hasn't felt like you are feeling right now at some point while playing.

A lot of poker is about pyschology and a lot of players don't handle variance well.

When we sit down to play there is always going to be times we run good and bad. It's better to look at the bigger picture, however, than look at a screenshot of a weeks results.

If i was you i would take a break and come back refreshed, but ultimatly if you are no longer enjoying it there is no point in continuing to play.

When we all started playing it was for fun, no point in playing if we are no longer enjoying it.

Maybe take a break, and if you come back play the game that you enjoy the most, whether that be MTTs or cash.

It was always a pleasure having you on the tables, and good luck with whatever you decide.
  • edited July 2014

SACK THE COACH !!!!!!
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: I quit:
    to help, i would prefer to add some realistic comments craig.  you are not an awful player and you are not a brilliant player.  you are not very unlucky and you are not very lucky.  when you or others start to think in any of these groups you will learn a lesson shortly afterwards. you are average.  some of us aspire to be average.  suck it up.  life in the middle lane is where we are.  life away from the edge.  and how ever much you try and be brilliant or rubbish you will not achieve it. best regards
    Posted by aussie09
    What a downer you are. If everyone on the planet had that attitude we'd still be living in caves drawing on walls.
  • edited July 2014
    Craig, the best advice I can give (having been there a few times myself) is to either, take a break, drop down a few levels and play where running bad doesn't hurt for a while, or even try a different game like Omaha or Omaha high lo, just for a change.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
  • edited July 2014
    SACK THE COACH !!!!!!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    haha theres a good shout!

Also disgaree with Aussie, for the stakes we play i think you are a very good player.
  • edited July 2014
    Sometimes you win

Sometimes not, you cant win all the time

But everytime we play it is for fun

If your not enjoying it just stop it is your choice.
  • edited July 2014
    Enter all the 60p all in sats
    for tuesdays turbo
    qualify
    take down the tournament
    and then quit if you still want to!
    Craig everyone has felt the same the harder you try the worse it gets!
    play in modays DTD or Tuesdays open and play for fun not profit and you may be pleasantly surprised
  • edited July 2014
    I`ve played with you a few times on the cash tables and you have a good solid game and don`t think your average at all. Sometimes though we all go through bad patches in all formats of poker,it defo makes you doubt your game or annoys so much you have enough and want to quit. I think we all been there at one point but defo take on board some of the ideas people have already posted above.

Things I do personally if going through a bad spell is just take a break do other things outside poker that are fun take your mind off the game because tbh there is lot more to life than poker unless you play professionally it is.

If you don`t choose to take a break just move down levels,play another format or go play live if you haven`t done so in a while it`s so much more fun than an online grind.

Also one last thing I do is listen to the mental game of poker on my iphone, some of the chapters can help when going through these spells.

gl whatever you choose to do buddy

• edited July 2014
    I feel your pain Craig. I have played on SKY for a good couple of years now and have for the most part I have enjoyed my time and even managed to build a decent roll for the levels I play at.

For the last few months everything has now gone completely belly up, admittedly some of this through bad play, but the amount of horrific beats has gone through the roof. I don't think I have seen so many 4 card running draws hit when you are a massive favourite.

I have cashed out now, will take a break and decide what to do next as there is no enjoyment in spending hours/days/weeks in building a roll only for it to be decimated by the miracle 2 outers and 4 card running draws that are so prevalent at the moment

Good luck and I hope it turns round for you.
  • edited July 2014
    Hi mate

Hope you do not leave the game. All of us hit that barrwn run. Did you drop levels when role reduced? I find that is the key to not taking it personally when running bad.

Agree with all, take a break and come back at a lower level?

Hope to see you again
  • edited July 2014
    Thought you were made of sterner stuff than this Craig. Rob might have removed his post but he makes a solid point.
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: I quit : What a downer you are. If everyone on the planet had that attitude we'd still be living in caves drawing on walls.
    Posted by FlyingDagg
    I dunno, I kinda like that way of viewing things. If we all wanted to be the best poker player on the planet then all bar one person would be permanently miserable and disappointed... if you're enjoying the game and making a profit (ie 'average') then happy days, anything else (of which we all still aspire to) is a bonus.

Surprised to see you give up Craig, you are easily one of the better players around the micros and would inevitably exit the downswing at some stage and start to rebuild your roll.

No point playing if it has stopped being fun though, so good luck with whatever other hobbies will be filling your time now.
  • edited July 2014
    I feel your pain Craig. I have played on SKY for a good couple of years now and have for the most part I have enjoyed my time and even managed to build a decent roll for the levels I play at. For the last few months everything has now gone completely belly up, admittedly some of this through bad play, but the amount of horrific beats has gone through the roof. I don't think I have seen so many 4 card running draws hit when you are a massive favourite. I have cashed out now, will take a break and decide what to do next as there is no enjoyment in spending hours/days/weeks in building a roll only for it to be decimated by the miracle 2 outers and 4 card running draws that are so prevalent at the moment Good luck and I hope it turns round for you.
    Posted by dabossman
    Hi Daboss,

"at the moment"?

That is specific to you. The number of outdraws, &, let's not forget, the suckouts we also get, have never changed viewed long term.

What happens is that Lady Variance fancies a bit of sport with us, & seems to deliver these beats in clusters. But it delivers suckouts in clusters, too. We just don't notice them!

Hope your luck changes soon.
  • edited July 2014

Take a few days off. Post some hands, watch some training videos, work on improving your game.

I really don't get what posts like this are trying to achieve. Everybody runs really badly from time to time. It's the nature of the game.

• edited July 2014
    Take a few days off. Post some hands, watch some training videos, work on improving your game. I really don't get what posts like this are trying to achieve.  Everybody runs really badly from time to time. It's the nature of the game.
    Posted by 77Chris91
    BOOM!

Chin up Craig, the game was not designed to be easy.
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: I quit : I dunno, I kinda like that way of viewing things. If we all wanted to be the best poker player on the planet then all bar one person would be permanently miserable and disappointed... if you're enjoying the game and making a profit (ie 'average') then happy days, anything else (of which we all still aspire to) is a bonus. Surprised to see you give up Craig, you are easily one of the better players around the micros and would inevitably exit the downswing at some stage and start to rebuild your roll. No point playing if it has stopped being fun though, so good luck with whatever other hobbies will be filling your time now.
    Posted by shakinaces
    I see Aussie 09 has removed his post but let me enlarge on what I mean specifically to poker and then in general. I realise there are players on the site who are quite happy to pay their money and are not too bothered about making a profit, they play for the enjoyment. Personally I will always try to improve my game and hopefully I can add to my meagre income. I think Craig has the same attitude or he wouldn't have bothered posting. Maybe it's more of a personal thing with me as I wasn't very good at school, dreaded exams and had a series of poorly paid jobs. It took a long time but I eventually found something I was fairly decent at and it has helped stave off the debts.

There are people in this world who are destined to be average and no better but unless you try then you will never know. As they say it's better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all.
  • edited July 2014
    if my old man was still alive and i had your attitude near him, hed kick me up and down the street. man up
  • edited July 2014
    Fwiw, in the world of poker, if you just make any profit long term then you are already way above average. As far as I know Craig is a winning player so he's better than probably 80%+ of the poker playing population.

Downswings suck, and no matter how long you think they can last, they can last longer.

For years Dohhhh has been going on to me about how important momentum is in poker and it's so true. Do whatever it takes to get some wins behind you... could be...

1) Being more selective with the cash tables you choose to sit at
    2) Play less tables so you can focus more. Sometimes you can end up auto-piloting... this aint gonna stpo you getting AK in pre against AQ and losing, but it will probably mean aren't missing lots of spots to nick pots where you can c/r bluff a flop etc.
    3) Play lower stakes (similar to point 1 - playing worse players)
    4) If you have a go-to game (other than what you're playing now) where you're a pretty solid winner like DYMs or HU SnGs, then give them a go for a bit.
    5) Cut sessions short if you start well, are a couple of BIs up and start worrying about how you're gonna get coolered to lose it back etc.

Any or all of the above imo just so you can get a few sessions in where you make a profit. Number 5 obv ignores the 'it's a never ending game' thing but imo it's important to book some wins when confidence is at rock bottom.
  • edited July 2014
    All good advice from everyone Craig...
    deffo play less tables
    deffo drop levels
    even play just freerolls for a bit... try & get out of the old routine.. i've done this in the past.
    maybe play a few dym's or h/up you have a min 50/50 chance there.
    deffo book any wins.. i do it all the time, regardless of what peeps think.
    it's all about winning long term... 
    gl, dev
  • edited July 2014
    Hi,

Thanks for the (mostly) positive responses. I am by nature an emotional individual. The highs are great and the lows... Well, anyway, I am not proud of my reaction but I am determined to try and turn it into a positive.

So, a few days off have left me with new focus and new goals. I am easily a winning player over time but have probably gone into autopilot too easily lately and had the wrong goals.

I am going to document my aims, goals, success and failure and more importantly lessons in a new diary (dont all groan at once) aimed at hopefully helping others understand the nature of this beast we call poker.

Thanks all.

• edited July 2014
    Good to see you back Craig...very best of luck!
    xx