You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

From the Bottom Up.

edited August 2014 in Poker Chat
Hey,

After recently falling down due to bad run and tilt and for only the second time ever bankcrupting my BR I have decided to start from scratch and prove to myself that I am still a winning player. I previously played too many tables, autopiloting and then chasing losses by moving up stakes and in the process going away from my game and more importanly the enjoyment of playing.

So here i am with the aim to play to enjoy the game and concentrate on playing games that I want to play and how I want to play and forget about PP goals and solely on increasing my BR. Obviously thats what I want to do but I have to change the way I go about it and let the BR take care of itself naturally like it used to.

I will start with about £50 and from the 1st of next month I will start with a record of how I do and my thoughts on how I am doing and hopefully get some feedback about how I do things.

So starting from nl4 and low stakes MTTs and Sng's I am going to try and get my confidence back.

I played for about an hour at four (my maximum tables from now on to allow more ingame focusing) 4nl tables and broke even. I felt I played decent, made decisions through the streets and thought more about why I bet/call/check etc and why my opponents are bet/call/checking. 

Comments

• edited July 2014
    In Response to From the Bottom Up.:
    Hey, After recently falling down due to bad run and tilt and for only the second time ever bankcrupting my BR I have decided to start from scratch and prove to myself that I am still a winning player. I previously played too many tables, autopiloting and then chasing losses by moving up stakes and in the process going away from my game and more importanly the enjoyment of playing. So here i am with the aim to play to enjoy the game and concentrate on playing games that I want to play and how I want to play and forget about PP goals and solely on increasing my BR. Obviously thats what I want to do but I have to change the way I go about it and let the BR take care of itself naturally like it used to..
    Posted by CraigSG1
    Good to cya back!  BIB is THE most important bit IMO.  I (along with quite a few others) know you're a winning player. Nothing personal BUT i hate it when I get moved to a new table and you're on it.  Good luck & hope to see you at the tables......
    pad
  • edited July 2014
    Gl craig its good to have you back, hopefully see you on the tables.
  • edited July 2014
    Long hard slog but play with a smile.
  • edited July 2014

Hi Craig                                                                                                                                              Hope you don't mind me posting                                                                                                             Just wanted to let you now I can relate to everything you saying after having a bit of a crazy blow up last night.  Maybe we can kind of buddy each other along a bit as we're in the same boat.  Even if its just saying hi at the tables and occasionally posting on here I was thinking maybe it would help just to know someone else going through a similar sort of thing. I wish you well anyway.                                                                                                                                                                                 

• edited July 2014
    great to see you back craig.

for now, in cash it's best to play the ABC TAG style and play on the nl4 tables that have got the shortest chip stacks that way you will easily get the money you want and not get as much lost in them bad beats.

good luck mate.
  • edited July 2014
    Good you decided to give it another go buddy we all have been there I have blowups every week which always puts a big dent in my profits and sometimes it puts me in a big hole that takes me a couple weeks to get out of :).

The good thing is here you have noticed what things you were doing wrong so as long you learn from mistakes you can move forward.

Best of luck rebuilding your BR i`m confident you will grind it back up nicely.
  • edited July 2014

Yeah good to see you've had a change of heart Craig - can be a cruel game but you have definitely got the ability to beat the micros (at least) over the long term.

Stepping down to NL4 is a good shout and I think it's a handy skill to not be too proud to drop back to basics to try and get your mojo back.

All the best with the rebuild.

• edited July 2014
    gl m8
    we've all been there and it's how you deal with it that counts
    this seems like a pretty good approach
    glgl
  • edited August 2014
    Ta all, but I'm still at rock bottom. 

I really dont understand it. Im entering my sixth week of coolers and outdraws in all the big pots. It may sound like im over egging it but I really cant emphasise how bad I'm running. Add to that some outrageous run outs where I split the pot or runner runners to lose.

Ill stop there and just end the night I guess. I didnt tilt once but what can you do when your getting clubbed six feet under all the time. Never had anything like it ever.

I hope i can have some positive news soon.
  • edited August 2014
    Well, im in disarray at the moment.

Ive gone over my hands and just cant find any big mistakes, im just plain running awful. SOme may even rant and rave that Sky is fixed but I know that is not true. Ive ran KK into AA 3 times, AK into AA twice (against players playing almost every hand, and this is true of the following...) AK into KK a further 4 times. AK into AQ that got there after allin on A high flop. Set over setted 3 times (twice me getting it in and then losing to set on turn) then a huge pot all in pre AA v JJ v 55. A safe flop then a 5 on turn for small pot and J on river for main big pot. Add to that flushes losing to river FH's. Then flopped two pair against better flopped two pair and a flopped two pair all in on flop against overs and he rivers the other card on flop to win by better 2 pair. 

It sounds like I'm making this up but I swear I am not. My only two run goods i got was TPTK hitting running flush against a set and my over pair re oudrawing flopped two pair.

So thats £50 gone. I think I have to give up cash as I just run plain awful. Its even more sickening watching the guys who play every hand that you have been coolered by or outdrawn by then get it all in with the weakest of hands.

Six weeks of this is so frustrating. 

I have £23 of PP to come so will probably top that up to £50 and go again. Ill try and set myself some SnG targets. I used to crush SnG's but stopped as they became boring so I guess I will have to see how its changed. I imagine its a lot harder now than a few years ago. Not sure if I will play DYM's as I want to play the one with the best ROI. I might try a variety and see what happens.
  • edited August 2014
    Feel your pain mate
    Been on a bad run for 5 or 6 weeks myself.
    Like you i've been through my hands and can't find too much wrong.

Guess its got to change soon if you believe the variance thing.

GL GL
  • edited August 2014
    1 MTT - busted QQ v A9s. allin flop, lost to turned flush.
    1 DYM - won
    2 6 SnG. 1 Busted 4th when allin turn with str. Got called by over pair that made higher str after 3 outer. Other, busted when bluff hero called. Happy with play as would normally get through. He called very light.

Cash: So far doubled up AA v QQ. Then had AJs v 84s on an 688J8 board. Sigh.
  • edited August 2014
    Hi mate

Sounds like having a tough time

I would try not posting the bad beat / out drawn hands.  May sound silly - but if you just focus on your positive outdraws and hands that do hold, even if not big pots, can change you mind set which I find always changes results.

It is obvious that you are in general a winning player.

When I hit a bad run - I found that when i won a hand I should of, or got lucky on one I should not have won, I dismissed it straight away.  Then everytime got it in good expected the bad card - which always comes when your looking for it and then you remember this - if it does not come - as said you dismiss as you got lucky and held up.

Keep it sensible - soon be back on the straight and narrow
  • edited August 2014
    Hi Craig,
    i had a similar run when playing cash a while ago, and it does get you down for sure. i don't tilt but the pain was still there. not sure what to suggest mate. think you have to play through it or try something else for a while.
    i gave up with cash in the end, only because i knew i could win playing dym's, so that was an easy way out for me.

the swings in cash can be brutal and even with £50 @ nl4 that's only 12 buy-ins which you can lose easily in a few days, as you know.
    you are a winning player mate, so i think you should continue, maybe even play 2 tables while it's so bad.
    hope you end that losing streak soon mate,
    dev
  • edited August 2014
    Thanks guys. Was meant to be a general post through the night but then couldn't get on community lobby to complete it. Wanted to get a general run of play through night. Anyway, it's been a mix since then. Doubling up on one table only to lose it on another. And again, not from bad play I don't think, just unlucky. Like AK v KQ v 109s lost to river Q for a £19 pot. May sound odd getting in allin pre but betting was weird. I raise, one calls, shortie (109) push, I call and then original flatter  (who plays 90% hands and who I expected to fold) moves in. Another was KK v 1010 and guy flopped set. Was offset by my set against 96s but that was for a smaller pot. 

Anyway, I'm a few pound up somehow but still down overall. The thing is I know if I just have a normal run where math runs equal or I run very well for just a few days I can quickly gain a lot of buyins as I used too before this six week slump. Over 6/7 months I was averaging 20/30 buyin profit a month with 3000 PPs. I would love to get back to that. 
  • edited August 2014
    It was a case of close but no cigar today. Ran deep in all my tournaments except the £300 freemoney FR. 

I played a £3.30BH this morning, finishing 3 off the money when after a good start and middle I just went card dead. Couldnt find any spots and wasnt willing to gamble the few light shoves that was happening. Shame, I played well. Cash finished a little up, the same case all day of winning something on one table and losing it on another. Again, pure coolers and no major mistakes.

I went so far in a £2BH but again couldnt hold the major pots. I managed to finish in the money of the Poker Player FR, getting off to a great tripple up start and staying chip leader for 45 mins (5 min blinds so I'm very happy with that) but as the blinds quickly caught up it was just a case of staying patient and looking for spots. Again, I played well, shame I couldnt push on.

On Stars I managed to outlast 6500 ppl but not the next 22. Cruely losing AK v KJ for a top 4 stack and a major shot at some big money. 

I played well today and it was a nearly day.

My BR is inching up but still a little in the red.
  • edited August 2014
    Sent you a cpl of long PM's craig!
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: From the Bottom Up.:
    Sent you a cpl of long PM's craig!
    Posted by GaryLaud
    Replied mate.
  • edited August 2014

Today was a better day, but again a big fat nearly there struck again this morning. I played a little cash that more than covered my £3.30BH buyin. The BH tourny went swimmingly. I controlled every table I was on, ran decent and chipped up all the way through taking 9 heads in total. Then on the final table with 5 left and me 2nd in chips the hand below happened. All three of us flopped the flush! The guy with the nuts I had plenty of history with and he was definatley active and had called down very light, even once an underpair to the board so although I got a big stack in against him I knew he was capable of getting it in with much worse than the nuts! Big sigh. I think ive only seen this happen twice before with three players flopping flushes.

So after feeling very good and convinced I was going to take it down I left in 4th place, take almost £20 profit with me.

I followed this up with a couple of small cash sessions with small wins, although very dissapointed I didnt take a more aggressive line in one pot that cost me £10 of missed value, compounded when the same guy two hands later took £4 off me when calling down with 107o (no pair and no draw) and hitting running flush cards for a 7h flush that beat my bottom set.

I got dumped out of three tournies, one with top set to running straight cards after being allin, another with KQs v QJo v J8o to a flopped J and then AK v QQ. Flopped well but a turned Q sent me crashing out.

Still, nice to see my BR hit three figures and that now endges me into the black.

Starting BR £50

Top up £54 (I intend to take this out at some point)

Current BR £107 (£53)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceharryewSmall blind 500.00500.003565.00CASHTOLOSEBig blind 1000.001500.0014420.00 Your hole cards10hJh   avishark11Raise 2000.003500.0043160.00CraigSG1Call 2000.005500.0032775.00hifiFold    harryewAll-in 3565.009065.000.00CASHTOLOSEFold    avishark11Call 2065.0011130.0041095.00CraigSG1Call 2065.0013195.0030710.00Flop  Qh4h8h   avishark11Check    CraigSG1Bet 6000.0019195.0024710.00avishark11Call 6000.0025195.0035095.00Turn  7   avishark11Check    CraigSG1All-in 24710.0049905.000.00avishark11Call 24710.0074615.0010385.00harryewShow6hKh   avishark11Show5hAh   CraigSG1Show10hJh   River  A   avishark11WinFlush to the Ace74615.00 85000.00

• edited August 2014
    Black is GOOOD!!  Reading & feeling ya pain. Good luck
    Pad