You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

PLO Middle Set

edited August 2014 in The Poker Clinic
Is middle set good enough here esp when I have a blocker for bottom set

Villain seems on loose passive side, but I play no Omaha so not sure really anywhere
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
SbSmall blind  £0.10 £0.10 £10.27
bb Big blind  £0.10 £0.20 £9.35
  Your hole cards

CoRaise  £0.30 £0.50 £26.01
grantorinoCall  £0.30 £0.80 £12.60
SB Call  £0.20 £1.00 £10.07
BB Fold     
Flop

SBBet  £0.50 £1.50 £9.57
COCall  £0.50 £2.00 £25.51
grantorino Raise  £3.00 £5.00 £9.60
SB All-in  £9.57 £14.57 £0.00
Btw I also have no ideas which hands should be in clinic or cash game strategy threads

Comments

• edited August 2014
    Do you like Clint Eastwood?
  • edited August 2014
    any omahahahahaha heads want to set me straight?
  • edited August 2014
    I think I just bin it pre tbh. But..

Only lose to 1010xx. Leaning towards drawing hands - Wraps, fd, etc.

Not over the moon to get it in really, but once you raise the flop, I think folding is bad.
  • edited August 2014
    Agree with HYPETING really
  • edited August 2014
    I would fold pre-flop because our hand just doesn't flop that well at all. The only nut straights we can flop are A23, 236 and 367. Moreover there's less ways we can flop a set + FD (which is always a great added insurance with lower pairs in case you do run into a higher set) If we had 8876 our hand becomes more playable because when we flop a set with this hand we're much more likely to have a straight draw of some sort. 

As you can see with the flop that we have here - if we did have 8876 we would have an inside straight draw to a nut straight and a gutshot to a low straight. Having these potential 8 extra outs can be really useful because it means we're drawing a lot less dead against top set but also might block a few outs for villain if he has a combo draw. Having 2 FD's with these type of hands is also a big bonus because it gives us more chance to flop something + a FD - again either blocking villains outs or adding outs to our own if villain has a better made hand. That being said with position 8876ss is good enough to see a flop.

As played anyway you pretty much have to call. Sometimes you will run into a better set but you probably have the correct equity to GII. However, I would mostly just flat the flop here. If we raise and GII we're never going to be in great shape with this hand. (esp blocking 44 doesn't help) Also if we raise and they just flat, there's going to be a ton of turns where we're no longer liking our hand anymore. With position this isn't so bad, but it's still a small consideration. Not only does flatting protect our range (prob not too important, if at all at these stakes though) but it gives us the option of seeing a safe turn before getting the rest of our money in. And if it's not a safe turn - well we have position so can use that to our advantage.

But yeah, if you fold pre it will definitely save you from getting into these marginal spots. The tighter our hand range pre, the easier post-flop becomes. Once we have more of a grasp on the game then we can open up a bit - but even then I would probably still fold this OTB.