You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

First Live Tourney

edited August 2014 in The Poker Clinic
so tonight I ventured to my first ever live poker tourney. I've played cash games in card rooms before but had never entered a tourney.

Was pretty nervous and didn't start too well, folded some hands I probably should have gone with.

25 hands or so down and I manage to get a AK clubs on the button. BB raises to 1500, and I shove 2,500. He calls and shows QJ, hits both and I'm buying back in for £20.

Feeling like I didn't play that hand bad, just a coin toss.

However, another 20 or so hands in, blinds at 75/150 and I have a stack of about 3000. I get dealt AK Clubs again. BB raised to 300, and UTG raises to 800. I call, flop comes 2h/Kd/Qc, BB checks, UTG raises to 1200, I call and so does BB. 
Turn comes a 9h. BB checks, UTG bets 1500, I call and BB shoves. I call and he turns over 10/J.

Not much I can other than watch myself get knocked out.

So essentially, I thought I played that hand correct, top pair top kicker. Should I have shoved earlier, and should I have put him on a straight and folded?

Comments

• edited August 2014
    1st hand I assume you raised the button before guy made it 1500? If so it's fine

2nd hand. Who opened? Utg and you have to act before bb. If it's raised into you shove, if it's unopened when it gets to you raise and shove if anyone 3bets
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to First Live Tourney:
    so tonight I ventured to my first ever live poker tourney. I've played cash games in card rooms before but had never entered a tourney. Was pretty nervous and didn't start too well, folded some hands I probably should have gone with. 25 hands or so down and I manage to get a AK clubs on the button. BB raises to 1500, and I shove 2,500. He calls and shows QJ, hits both and I'm buying back in for £20. Feeling like I didn't play that hand bad, just a coin toss. However, another 20 or so hands in, blinds at 75/150 and I have a stack of about 3000. I get dealt AK Clubs again. BB raised to 300, and UTG raises to 800. I call, flop comes 2h/Kd/Qc, BB checks, UTG raises to 1200, I call and so does BB.  Turn comes a 9h. BB checks, UTG bets 1500, I call and BB shoves. I call and he turns over 10/J. Not much I can other than watch myself get knocked out. So essentially, I thought I played that hand correct, top pair top kicker. Should I have shoved earlier, and should I have put him on a straight and folded?
    Posted by Shakeylake

Personally I like a shove pre with 1325 already in the middles and only a 3000 stack im getting it in especially live when players love to get it in with worse aces.
  • edited August 2014
    +1 ^^^

Getting AKs is a result when you're down to 20BB, but as you know most hands miss most flops.  So you certainly don't want to put in nearly a third of your chips in a multi-way pot to brick the flop.  Much better to shove and race versus one caller and pick up all the dead money when do, and like golds95 said plenty of people will call of with a worse ace, so just snap shove here