You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Any ideas if/how I can get paid here?

This is a bit of a weak spot for me, trying to figure out if & how I can get paid off when I hit a monster like this.

What would be a decent value bet here? Is it ever worth over betting to make it look like a bluff?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Ironmac Sit out     
PLAYER 1 Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £11.43
PLAYER 2 Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £7.83
  Your hole cards
  • J

makapaka Fold     
gaz19 Fold     
silentbob Raise  £0.60 £0.90 £23.56
PLAYER 1 Call  £0.50 £1.40 £10.93
PLAYER 2 Call  £0.40 £1.80 £7.43
Flop

PLAYER 1 Check     
PLAYER 2 Bet  £0.60 £2.40 £6.83
silentbob Call  £0.60 £3.00 £22.96
PLAYER 1 Fold     
Turn

PLAYER 2 Check     
silentbob Check     
River

PLAYER 2 Check     
silentbob Bet  £1.25 £4.25 £21.71
PLAYER 2 Fold     
silentbob Muck     
silentbob Win  £4.10  £25.81

Comments

• ybyb
    edited January 2010
    I would raise the flop, your best chance of getting paid is to build the pot before you make your hand so your opponent is not scared away by a straightening / flushing card. And if he folds I'm happy to take the pot down without a made hand.
  • edited January 2010

I don't think anything more needs to be said on the matter - yb has got it spot on. U have to raise the flop here, unless you know for sure this guy is abit of a maniac and will bet every street no matter what. Looks like hes taken a stab at it and given up when u showed resistance. Also - a good way to get paid in genral is to play aggressively throughout the session, if when you raise/call you always have a hand, then people r gonna click on.

I do like big overbets on the river, and believe if hes gonna call your bet for a quid, he'll call a fiver here. If a V bet looks like a V bet, it probably is a V bet! lol - I like the size of the river bet if you're bluffing, but when trying to get paid, make it look suspicious. Of course, keep mixing it up.

DOHH

• edited January 2010
    Thanks guys, TBH I didn't think about trying to raise this sooner. I guess ultimately I was trying to keep him with me & maybe bring the first guy along for the ride too (who, incidentally, had been very keen to get involved in just about every other hand except this one!).

Are we talking about a cheeky little min raise or a little bigger, or is it really opponent dependent?
  • edited January 2010

hey Bob I think the size of the raise MUST fit into your own style. What has he seen before from you?

I wud discount the min/small raise, as its not really saying anything. Lets face it at the moment u have jack high, so anything that gets through, isnt a bad result.

As an aggressive player, who raises alot of flops, I wud raise 3/4 of the pot...Because Ive done this so often thruout the session, with the nuts, n with nothing....

It really has to make sense....tell a strory, Im value raising here, so I want a caller, and dont mind being re raised either, as I have ten million outs. Id just stick to pretty standard numbers,,wats the pot??,....2.40? id raise 2 quid.

If he has a marginal hand, how many scare cards are there for him? Hundreds (n they all hit u, he dusnt no that). So the best chance of gettin money here is on the flop.

Uv raised pre flop too - he might see ur raise as just following through, I dnt like to call it a C raise, more of a momentum raise....

I wudnt get too down tho, ur massive, there isnt rly a bad way to play this hand.

Just be more active/aggressive in genral wud be my advice.

GL. DOHH