You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Positive tilt

Good Day all! 
First post so bear with me...
Love playing on here even though I'm a losing player but at a small level , looking back on tornys I've done well in 
I seem to chip up really nicely ,was even leader of the mini for most of the night last week then I start thinking I'm vannessa selbts and blow it on silly moves , when we get a stack should I go tighter or increase the hands we play i? If we go tighter won't every one else catch up ... I've blown a stack more than once , I suppose recognising it is a start but  when I have got ahead and got nitty every one else catches up or is it just the varience of a torny evening itself out , and just keep playing as I did to get me the stack , the mental side of poker is defiantly playing A role in my moves later on and I'm struggling with it! X

Comments

• edited August 2014
    Playing with a big stack can be fun but you have to pick your spots wisely. No need to be raising every single hand or 3-betting at every single oppertunity. Maybe post some of your hands where it went wrong in the mini?

If you get J2o OTB in an unopened pot - just fold. Sure, it's OK to raise some of the time and if you haven't raised a couple of BTN's because you've been getting no hands then it's fine to open. But if you've raised the past 3 BTN's and pick up J2o, then fold this one. Another important point to learn is this - if you're raising lots pre-flop and taking it down really often, then it is OK to shut down and play small ball post-flop if you do see a flop. It might be tempting to c-bet on a KT3r when you raise with 67o and get 1 call. But your pre-flop raise is winning so much money - so be prepared to just give up post flop more. And if you do decide to bet post-flop - stick to the one and done. I usually mix between a flop bet/turn bet or river bet - betting just the one street with any of my pure air hands. In the 67 example if flop and turn get checked through and the only way to win is betting the river, then a bet could be fine depending on runout. 

That's not to say you can't triple barrel bluff as a big stack - but only do it in spots where you have a lot of equity or where villain's range is wide and your range is tight.

If you can win a couple BB's per orbit you're increasing your stack plenty. Don't need to win every single hand in an orbit though!