You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

am i too weak preflop?

edited August 2014 in Tournament Strategy
has he 5bb left?

if so get your stack over line. If  you open and he flats get your money in

Comments

• edited August 2014
    i've make it more understandable in a next post below.
    this might have confused people.

• edited August 2014
    my original post might cause people to get confused so i'll redo it.

My reads don't relate as much to the short stack
    these reads are from the villian sitting in the big blind

This is a villian i've noted down as a person who doesn't play his hands aggressively preflop.
    even hands such as AA will be limp or called preflop.
    something i think is a problem with these players in general, they will not understand that a min bet in the late stages of MTT is as costly to call as a 5xBB would be to call at the start.

The issue i face with this player is when the flop does not show a picture card it's almost impossible to put him on a hand.
    if he bets as he did here i wonder does he
    A) doing the usual donkey bet fold that is done by lots of these loose passive players,
    B) is he holding the premium pair he called preflop
    C) is it a flush draw

having checked his sharkscope  and seen that it is terribly negative, now that he has got past the bubble i can see him doing a much tighter game.

so what that does is gets me question weather or not my very late stage betting against these villians should get that extra aggressive approach preflop?

Q.knowing that i'm going to likely want to Call a min donkbet on the flop, should i just go for a raise of 3xBB preflop?
    mike1958 Small blind   500.00 500.00 16660.00
    loose pass Big blind   1000.00 1500.00 16581.25
      Your hole cards
    • A

dwisaol Fold        
    HIBERNI369 Fold        
    craigcu12 Raise   2000.00 3500.00 22100.00
    short Fold       5800
    mike1958 Fold        
    loose pass Call   1000.00 4500.00 15581.25
    Flop

loose pass Bet
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: am i too weak preflop?:
    my original post might cause people to get confused so i'll redo it. My reads don't relate as much to the short stack these reads are from the villian sitting in the big blind This is a villian i've noted down as a person who doesn't play his hands aggressively preflop. even hands such as AA will be limp or called preflop. something i think is a problem with these players in general, they will not understand that a min bet in the late stages of MTT is as costly to call as a 5xBB would be to call at the start. The issue i face with this player is when the flop does not show a picture card it's almost impossible to put him on a hand. if he bets as he did here i wonder does he A) doing the usual donkey bet fold that is done by lots of these loose passive players, B) is he holding the premium pair he called preflop C) is it a flush draw having checked his sharkscope  and seen that it is terribly negative, now that he has got past the bubble i can see him doing a much tighter game. so what that does is gets me question weather or not my very late stage betting against these villians should get that extra aggressive approach preflop? Q.knowing that i'm going to likely want to Call a min donkbet on the flop, should i just go for a raise of 3xBB preflop? mike1958 Small blind   500.00 500.00 16660.00 loose pass Big blind   1000.00 1500.00 16581.25   Your hole cards A 8       dwisaol Fold         HIBERNI369 Fold         craigcu12 Raise   2000.00 3500.00 22100.00 short Fold       5800 mike1958 Fold         loose pass Call   1000.00 4500.00 15581.25 Flop     4 9 3       loose pass Bet
    Posted by craigcu12
    Hi Craig

If, as you say, this player doesn't understand how costly a 2x raise is at this stage, will a 3x raise really change anything, other than make the pot bigger?

Fwiw, if the effective stacks are less than 20bb, I think 2x pre is the only real option if we are going to open.

Btw, I've just written a post on preflop bet sizing here:

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a2e4f51cb-c64c-449f-a843-8db9c5fe7283Forum%3ae6c7e49e-4ab5-4f79-9a89-3a6d1f4f9081Discussion%3aa61b64f8-1212-4ced-a7f5-092ff73a0bc7

It'd be good to get your thoughts on it, tear to shreads, whatever.  :)

W
  • edited August 2014
    What do you think raising more pre would achieve? Do you think he won't donk bet then

If he min donks this hand I prob flat definitely not folding
  • edited August 2014
    what i'm thinking is these players might be thinking that a min raise is a sign of a weaker hand.

i do see limpers sometimes doing a fold preflop when i've raised a hand at the late strages by 4xBB.

also i ask myself this, when i'm against this type of player knowing he is more likely to call a min raise, is it best to play hands that are well connected if not 2 broadway cards as i will have alot less trouble knowing that i'm most likely to have either 2 overcards or i've hit.