You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Master Cash Jan 9th - Make Your Play ONE

edited January 2010 in Poker Chat

I'm not around on Saturday, I'll be in Newcastle, but have been asked to put the two MYP Threads up, so you have plenty of time to get some debate going. Reply on thread, or e-mail the Show at "skyopen@bskyb.com" please.

And don't forget to Vote!

Righti-ho, here we go.

6 handed Cash, £0.50-£1

Villan ONE, £100.

Villain TWO, £96.40

Hero £101.50.

Hero is Small Blind, & has Qd-Kc.

Villain ONE Raises to £4.

Villain TWO Calls.

Hero Raises to £16.

Villains ONE & TWO BOTH Call the £12. Oops.

Pot is now £49.

Flop is 8s-Td-Js

Hero Checks.

Villain ONE Bets £33.

Villain TWO folds.

Hero.....

Fold?

Call?

Raise?

Vote now, please.

Comments

• edited January 2010
    We've made squeeze play and we're disappointed to get called but having flopped up and down draw, it's either fold or shove the lot in! We can't call as our stack leaves us committed anyway so rather than face tough decision if miss on the turn, my preferred choice would be put decision back on opponent and get all my chips in the middle - they might fold but there's plenty of outs if they don't!
  • edited January 2010

That's easily the best reply yet Dan.
  • edited January 2010
    easy fold no value for the draw and if villain is playing spades thats more of our outs gone
  • edited January 2010
    I raise all in. To call another £33 and then fold to an unkind card on turn with £60 odd back would be horrid.  I'm OOP so the shove loses the problem of position. I have 3 queens, 3 kings, 4 possible 9s and 4 possible Aces to quite possibly give me the win. I need to see both cards to maximise my chances and the only way is to shove. Villain may possibly be 4 flushing and I therefore also need to give a decision back to him. If he folds, I take a tidy pot.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Master Cash Jan 9th - Make Your Play ONE:
    I raise all in. To call another £33 and then fold to an unkind card on turn with £60 odd back would be horrid.  I'm OOP so the shove loses the problem of position. I have 3 queens, 3 kings, 4 possible 9s and 4 possible Aces to quite possibly give me the win. I need to see both cards to maximise my chances and the only way is to shove. Villain may possibly be 4 flushing and I therefore also need to give a decision back to him. If he folds, I take a tidy pot.
    Posted by phil12uk
    +1
  • edited January 2010
    I hate the check on the flop!

Why do we check?

You've took the foot off the pedal, and lost all initiative in the hand.

We essentially made the squeeze play pre flop so we have to c bet first 2 act. Then if we get flatted or raised we can then make a decision on the oppos ranges and decide whether the ship is right.
  • edited January 2010
    Given we have no history or reads on the villains this makes this a tough hand and decision. I don't think you can ever call here asif we call and brick the turn it's just like setting £49 (£33+£16) on fire when we miss as I expect Villain to be shoving the turn alot. I make Villains range something like this (QQ/JJ/1010/99/88 + AJ/AK/KJ/QJ/J10/109 + FDs/A10s/KQs/AKs/AQs/109s/Q10s)

I think its safe to say he will be 4betting AA and KK most of the time. With this £33 flop bet the problem we have is we checked so he could be taking a stab with just a Jack which he would probably fold to a check/shove but having said that I don't think we have much FE when hes willing to bet-fold a 1/3rd of his stack, I would assume he is calling it off to our shove. Although it may be a weak play given all the factors considered I think I fold and wait for a better spot I also did the calculations against the range of hands I suggested above to see if my fold would be correct.

Board: 8s Js Td
    Dead: 

equity     win     tie           pots won     pots tied   
    Hand 0:     34.067%      33.23%     00.84%              29275           741.00   { KcQd }
    Hand 1:     65.933%      65.09%     00.84%              57353           741.00   { QQ-88, AsKs, AsQs, AsJs, AsTs, As9s, KsQs, KcJc, KdJd, KhJh, QTs+, JTs, T9s, AJo+, KJo, QTo+, JTo }

This means that we are behind in this hand 65% of the time against the given range of hands villain could hold, so we do not have the odds to shove and it is correct to fold here in the long run. If we do shove Villain only has to call £51 to win £217 which means he only has to have around 27% equity to make the call for it to be a profitable one. As he will be calling around 27% of the hands here in his range, its a definate fold.

James
  • edited January 2010
    All in.  We hvae 2 overs and OESD.  Very little in the villains range that has that draw crushed.
  • edited January 2010
    its all in for me
  • edited January 2010
    I'm all in with an Up and  Downer.  
    Its either that or we have to fold on the flop.

• edited January 2010

Check raise all in semi bluff?? - I dnt see why we didn't bet out the flop, thus pricing us in to call any raise (and oppo shud know this, making the raise more likely to get through), if he has the flush draw, hes made the play that we should have made, just the other way round.

Im moving all in, the check raise looks so strong, but hes calling the all in obv if he has a fd, just hope he hasnt got AQ/AK spades....we're crushed there.

I fear we're gonna get called light though, as the story we have told doesnt make much sense, the only hand Id play like this is maybe top set, or AK spades. - 3 bet pre then check the flop OOP doesnt really make much sense and does look so much like a draw.

With no info on the oppo, I have to shove, obviously not wanting a call. If I have notes that this guy can't fold, I might fold myself, only 16 quid invested - and im pretty sure hes holding some of my outs.

DOHH

• edited January 2010
      Ok first of all we have no information on the villains, which is not ideal. I dont mind the preflop raise but am wary of playing out of position. The flop comes down just about as good as we could hope for, so why on earth would we check here. I would have been firing out a halfpot continuation bet at this point to show strength and my willingness to take the pot down. By checking we have given somebody else all the impetus they need to take us off the pot. When the villain bets he now has half of his stack in the pot and now has asked us the ultimate question, which we should have been asking. So we have an OESD and 2 overs and we have to make a decision for our stack. The flat call has no worth and is just an easy way to give moey away. So we are left with raise allinor fold and i think it is a tough choice between the 2. Can we find a better spot to gamble , if so then we fold because we have not gone that deep in to our stack. If we raise it all in then if the villain has anypart of the flop or a draw then he will call as our stack size gives us no real fold equity in this spot. Tough choice but i have opted for the raise all in because i think this is a good spot.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Master Cash Jan 9th - Make Your Play ONE:
    I'm not around on Saturday, I'll be in Newcastle, but have been asked to put the two MYP Threads up, so you have plenty of time to get some debate going. Reply on thread, or e-mail the Show at "skyopen@bskyb.com" please. And don't forget to Vote! Righti-ho, here we go. 6 handed Cash, £0.50-£1 Villan ONE, £100. Villain TWO, £96.40 Hero £101.50. Hero is Small Blind, & has Qd-Kc . Villain ONE Raises to £4. Villain TWO Calls. Hero Raises to £16. Villains ONE & TWO BOTH Call the £12. Oops. Pot is now £49. Flop is 8s-Td-Js Hero Checks. Villain ONE Bets £33. Villain TWO folds. Hero..... Fold? Call? Raise? Vote now, please.
    Posted by Tikay10[/

Keep saying this but the first desiciion in poker is the most important,leads you to doom or glory.

You've made a mistake which is now leading to a tricky solution.You say in the post OOPS and there was your intention,your reraise out of position was meant to take the pot there and then and when it doesn't your in the worst position of all to get in trouble statistically the SB.Maybe im too tight but in that position with that hand i lay all day long.At worst call that way the pot doesn't get out of controly and you can easily get away from the hand or if you fancy the situation the VILLAIN would be betting 9 or 10 into a 12 pound pot which doesn't leave you stack committed.
  • edited January 2010
    grrr voted fold without realising its 2 overs not just OESD. hero shows strength preflop with the squeeze... the check raise looks strong as well, so villain may fold or if they dont probably have plenty of outs to make it about 50 50, so shove imo.
  • edited January 2010
    I think I'd fold here, but agree with Dan, I'd definitely have bet out on the flop, and then the hand plays out differently because if Villain shoves, I'd insta - call with the pot odds and the amount already invested.

Don't see how I have any fold equity now, as half of Villain's stack is in the middle, so he's calling with anything bar a complete bluff. Although I'm up and down, I'm behind for sure at the moment, don't have any spades, so don't wish to put my entire pull-up into the middle KNOWING I'm behind to be totally honest?
  • edited January 2010

Amazingly, as at Midnight on Friday - the Vote is split exactly 50-50, with 10 Votes each way.

There personified, is the beauty of poker.

Master Cash TWO is a different story though, that one's a bit one-sided.
  • edited January 2010
    I would have bet this flop, not checked.  If I had checked, it would be because I was planning a check raise, so Im all in here. Our outs are probably live as KK/AA are coming back over pre most of the time
  • edited January 2010
    This is a really tricky one.

Right to start off with the pre flop re raise I agree with makes them ask questions on what we have and also gives us the momentum going into the flop although OOP. The check after the flop is one that I hate, personally I would be betting here to try and control the pot and make the most of being first to act, checking is the easy decision and gives chance to people behind to do exactly what they have done and bet out at you, leaving you now with the difficult decision.

At this point it is either fold or re raise all in, calling makes us commit too much to the pot to be able to fold the turn if it does not suit us, folding would get us away cheaply with only £16 invested, but a re raise all in with 14 possible outs giving us around a 1 in 3 chance of hitting one of them outs makes the all in raise tempting, plus the fact that if they are betting out the flush draw, then they are likely to fold a re raise thinking you have hit and hit it big either hitting a set or two pair.

Other factors are that after the pre flop raises and the flop I am putting the Villain on AQ or AK suited, AJ or A10 either suited or not and possibly A8 suited or looking at possible pocket pairs of either J's 10's or 8's, but if he had hit it so strong it is doubtful he would have bet that strong. With this is mind I am stuck in a 50/50 decision whether to fold or raise, the fold is obviously the safest option but the re raise all in shows a lot of strength and could cause the Villian to fold either a pair of 8's, 10's or a flush draw but anything else and he is coming along with and you are hoping you hit one of your 14 outs then.

Normally my final decision if put in this circumstance would be decided on previous information on my opponents, but with none of this is this circumstance I feel I have to raise all in, as with around a 3/4 pot bet you have to feel he has hit the flop big, I am thinking 2 pair and is scared of the flush or straight, and seems we have the straight draw and 2 over cards if its a bet with only a pair its puts the pressure back on the Villain