You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Master Cash Jan 9th - Make Your Play TWO

edited January 2010 in Poker Chat

This time, the Villain is not known to us, but she seems oblivious to Position. Has been known to triple barrel 3/3 hands when she'd Raised Pre-Flop. She has nice cheekbones.

We are playing £1 £2 Cash, short-handed.

Villain-ess, £226.35

Hero £201.

Hero is in the Small Blind.

Hero has Jc-Jd,

Villain-ess Raises to £7. Hero calls the £6. (?).

Flop 4d-9c-9d

Hero checks. (?).

Villain-ess Bets £11. Hero Calls. (?).

Turn 6c

So it's 4d-9c-9d-6c

Hero checks again! Villain bets £23. Hero - you've guessed it - smooths.

River Qc. Ugh.

The Board now reads 4d-9c-9d-6c-Qc

Hero checks. Vilain bets £53.

Hero.....

Folds?

Calls?

Raises?

Vote NOW please, & let's have your comments on how Hero played those bobbies.

Comments

• edited January 2010
    Hero couldn't have played it much worse to be honest - they've not defined their hand at any stage so rather than being the aggressor, they're in check call mode for pot control as they could be up against anything! The hand should've been over on the flop (if not earlier) but having got to the river, it's 50/50 on whether I'm calling - some days I fancy it and others I'm folding, kicking myself at what could've been!
  • edited January 2010
    For me its a call a crying one maybe but its still a call i feel i have to make if they have rivered a queen by chasing then ok long term the call for me is the winning strategy
  • edited January 2010
    This is your typical calling station play. In that sense they call. I personally define my hand earlier as playing this way, OOP, is not answering any questions about the strength of opponents hand.  

I personally, in this situation fold.
  • edited January 2010
    The main thing is: I don't like the passive way Hero has played this, as the starting hand is nice – but vulnerable.

Calling with JJ from the small blind: Don't have too much of a problem with this, although a re-raise to £14 could have the benefit of winning it there – and we just move on – or giving us information before becoming too pot-committed. I'd re-raise.

Even though the initial call isn't too bad, I don't like any of the further check-calls, as at no point does Hero know what he's up against; Ace or picture-card/Nine? Over pair? I'd want to take the initiative to build the pot (or bail if necessary), but at least be the instigator of the betting, and then be able to adapt as the information comes in. 

This isn't a hand I feel comfortable trying to milk, or be greedy with. 

So a half to three-quarter pot raise on the flop would do for me here. I'd then be getting even more information from 'Cheekbones'.

When the turn showed six; I wouldn't be bothered about draws and would now bet pot.

The information obtained from betting the streets, would be giving a better answer as to what to do next, but assuming Villian is still there, I'm calling: It's highly unlikely she's been looking for a club flush, so I'm just unlucky if she has a Queen (or a pair of the evil things)... or aces and kings.

That's how I'd lose a few quid anyway.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Master Cash Jan 9th - Make Your Play TWO:
    This is your typical calling station play. In that sense they call. I personally define my hand earlier as playing this way, OOP, is not answering any questions about the strength of opponents hand.   I personally, in this situation fold.
    Posted by phil12uk
    +1
  • edited January 2010
    Hero just calls.

Obviously if the villain is known to 3 barrel bluff, then we are looking to tap them.

Im undecided whether jj is strong enough to do this, but i suppose that as long as we can get away from our hand if a scare card comes on the turn or river, then we can run the risk to earn a big pot.

Previous info on villains pre flop raising range would make this decision alot easier,and does he always fire fire fire or if he hits a monster such as flops the set does he slow down?) It would also be good to know  what the villain does when is reraised? Do they tend to flat with marginals or will they define the strength of their hands by coming back over the top? Or maybe even throw it away? We dont want to scare away all the bluffs as we know villain doesnt slow down!

• edited January 2010
    Was this you playing live at DTD by any chance Tikay? :-)

The flat call pre has disguised your hand, I don't mind a raise on this sort of flop against this sort of opponent as she may get creative and make a move on you thinking you can never have a 9 here but infact you don't need too JJ is good enough here most of the time. But a check call is ok. On the turn if Villain is clever and puts you on a pocket pair like 22/33/55/77/88 They will probably be thinking they can double barrel you off the hand with a turn bet. Once the river comes this queen changes nothing tbh unless she has fluked a miracle with AQ or already had us beat with QQ/KK/AA she is repping such a small range of hands here AA/KK/QQ any 9 this is so likely a bluff and given the history and how under reppedyour hand is I snap her face off confidently showing my Jacks. Also you should never raise here as you will just be turning your hand into a bluff.

James
  • edited January 2010
    Was this you playing live at DTD by any chance Tikay? :-) The flat call pre has disguised your hand, I don't mind a raise on this sort of flop against this sort of opponent as she may get creative and make a move on you thinking you can never have a 9 here but infact you don't need too JJ is good enough here most of the time. But a check call is ok. On the turn if Villain is clever and puts you on a pocket pair like 22/33/55/77/88 They will probably be thinking they can double barrel you off the hand with a turn bet. Once the river comes this queen changes nothing tbh unless she has fluked a miracle with AQ or already had us beat with QQ/KK/AA she is repping such a small range of hands here AA/KK/QQ any 9 this is so likely a bluff and given the history and how under reppedyour hand is I snap her face off confidently showing my Jacks. Also you should never raise here as you will just be turning your hand into a bluff. James
    Posted by lJAMESl
    Noooooooooooooo! My range does not extend anywhere near that far south. A-A & K-K only, me.
  • edited January 2010
    Snap.   Can't see why we would this river esp as we have under=-repped our hand to to take advantage our read.
  • edited January 2010
    Once that river comes down it has to be a smooth call IMO due to so much danger with flush draws and over card.

Personally I don't mind the flat call pre-flop, I like to see a flop before reraising, alot of players would re-pop it here but what if the flop comes A,K,8 all suited for example. To the initial £7 raise a re-raise would be in the region of £24, not really a fan of getting 12 BB's in the middle with no idea of what the flop brings... But anyway thats gettign away from the hand!

After you see that flop, its a dream flop really without hitting your J, you can't put villan on any of that, so the check to let them bet is not a bad move, but then needs to be re-popped to around £30-£35. This way if they don't have a strong hand they have to fold, if they do call or re-raise then you can narrow their range down alot.

The turn is another blank, and with 2 flush draws on the board I would be bettign big here or going all in i feel very confident im infront and are they going to call off their stack on a flush draw with 1 card to come? The way the hand has played out we don't have a great idea of what they are playing with. As it is yet again we smooth call like a calling station. By the time the river comes an over card and possibly completing a flush we can't reraise now, you need to flat call and hope you havent let them hit one of their outs
  • edited January 2010

Terrrrible, call pre check call flop check call turn, its almost impossible to put myself in this situation, complete opposite to the way I'd play it...

But having read the history of my opponent, It has to be a call, we've shown no strength at all throughout the hand, and its the backdraw flush thats hit, so unlikely the oppo is playing this hand, the queen to me is more of a scare card than the club - But wud they V bet it?

Just because of the description of my opponent, been a tripple barrell bluffer (love it) - Im calling. Then giving myself a stern talking to!

DOHH

• edited January 2010
      First 2 things to note. 1) our opponent has tripled barreled several times and we know so either they have been caught out or shown. If they have shown then i would ignore this as all shown hands are to lead us down the wrong path. 2) The hero in this hand is called Kermit because he has played this hand like a complete muppet.

Calling preflop OOP is fine because we all know how vulnerable JJ can be. Perfect flop 3 undercards only real fear is an overpair at this point so i favour the checkraise here so we can truly find out where we are because on this flop i am prepared to go to war with my jacks, but kermit just check calls. Turn brings another undercard to our jacks but also leaves 2 possible flush draws so we need to get busy right away and yet again i favour the check raise because at this point i believe we are ahead, but kermit just calls again. The river comes down with a very scary card which is not only above our PP but may also have completed a flush draw.All throughout this hand we have not asked a single question but only answered them so we really have no idea where we stand now because we have not come close to polarising our opponents hand.The history of blufing we have on our opponent is irrelevant because even loose bluffers can get hands. The river bet stinks of value to me so i would fold this hand and remind myself to never do kermit impressions again
  • edited January 2010
    Well, pull up a chair and call me Kermit.
    Against a triple barrel bluffer, I might play the hand this way. You've got to "speculate to accumulate".
    I put the villain-ess with the cheekbones on AJ (!) and I'm calling every day of the week. We've under-represented our hand to get 3 streets of (what we hope is) bluffing value and been very fortunate with the board. The flush is "back-door" so it is less likely that the villain-ess has it (although since we haven't raised her at any point she could really have any two cards) and she just sees the river as another good bluffing card.
    There is a sad downside to this hand (assuming that the hands are shown). We have alerted the villain-ess that we are trapping and may not be able to use the tactic as successfully again.
  • edited January 2010
    I really find these things difficult because the hero sets it up completely differently to how each player would play it. I personally would ensure i never put myself in this position. With the villainess last to act then I would assume (although she must be a donk considering not understanding position?) she would only bet the river with a 9, flush or bluff... given she often 3 barrels so far i would call with the JJ to beat a bluff and at least you get information if you are wrong.
  • edited January 2010

To be  honest, I don't mind playing hands passive sometimes, particularly against the right opponent.
    In cash,you've got to mix your game up, and be taking different lines with the same hands to keep your opponents guessing.

Sometimes you don't need to define your opponents hand, because you already know their tendencies.
    For example, there are some opponents who, when they hit a monster (i.e. they have the 9 in this case) always check the flop, but when they have missed a paired board, always bet it.
    We don't need to bet anything to get this info.

Therefore if you are against an opponent who only bets 3 streets with nothing, or an overpair, given that they will not have an overpair very often, it may be a profitable strategy to let the opponent bluff their stack off.
    Sure sometimes you will be behind, and sometimes they get lucky with the Queen, but we are trying to find a way of getting max value against the range of hands the opponent will play this way.

As played I call the river.

• edited January 2010
    Here it has to be the call, but as for the way the rest of the hand as been played i am not a fan of this at all.

The pre flop call is fine it allows us to see a flop relatively cheaply with the pocket J's, therefore if an A, K or Q were to come down on the flop it would be easy to get away from it, but against a triple barrel bluffer well even then I think with this knowledge laying it down would be tough.

After the flop is where I have the major problem, check call??? this shows your a non believer and don't think she has the 9, but its the easy decision, here if you feel she has the 9 well fold, if not you have to re raise, calling just says you don't believe but at same time your unsure about your hand, you have to show strength.

Likewise on the turn again its a call to say you don't believe but you have to assume your ahead. The Jacks being vunerable to over cards you have to bet out or check, re raise to show strength once again, this giving her the difficult decision. Even though she is a triple barrel bluffer there is nothing to say she can't be playing a rag Ace or low King or Queen.

Well the river is awful, it shows the flush, but as its only a backdraw flush you can't think she was playing for that all along and the queen is terrible as there is now an overcard to your Jack, but you still have to call here as the betting previous either suggests a total bluff once again or she actually has the 9, but as you have not believed it up til now well there is no reason to believe it now either. Also if she was going to represent the queen you would have to assume that she would have bet the flop to see where she was then check the turn and bet the river, if given the chance to say look I have hit my card to try and make you fold.

Personally I would have either been betting or knowing she is a bluffer check raising both the flop and the turn, I would have possibly betted out on the river to show even more strength and possibly to represent the Queen, but in that case it would have been a total bluff and would have rather have took it down on the turn, to try and not leave me with the difficult decision of a semi bluff or crying call on the river

Spike2120
  • edited January 2010
    Well the "hero" has played this so bad (was it Orford again?:)

Where was the raise on flop or turn?

Oh well we have come so far we have to call now based on what we know about the villain.

• edited January 2010
    Here it has to be the call, but as for the way the rest of the hand as been played i am not a fan of this at all. The pre flop call is fine it allows us to see a flop relatively cheaply with the pocket J's, therefore if an A, K or Q were to come down on the flop it would be easy to get away from it, but against a triple barrel bluffer well even then I think with this knowledge laying it down would be tough. After the flop is where I have the major problem, check call??? this shows your a non believer and don't think she has the 9, but its the easy decision, here if you feel she has the 9 well fold, if not you have to re raise, calling just says you don't believe but at same time your unsure about your hand, you have to show strength. Likewise on the turn again its a call to say you don't believe but you have to assume your ahead. The Jacks being vunerable to over cards you have to bet out or check, re raise to show strength once again, this giving her the difficult decision. Even though she is a triple barrel bluffer there is nothing to say she can't be playing a rag Ace or low King or Queen. Well the river is awful, it shows the flush, but as its only a backdraw flush you can't think she was playing for that all along and the queen is terrible as there is now an overcard to your Jack, but you still have to call here as the betting previous either suggests a total bluff once again or she actually has the 9, but as you have not believed it up til now well there is no reason to believe it now either. Also if she was going to represent the queen you would have to assume that she would have bet the flop to see where she was then check the turn and bet the river, if given the chance to say look I have hit my card to try and make you fold. Personally I would have either been betting or knowing she is a bluffer check raising both the flop and the turn, I would have possibly betted out on the river to show even more strength and possibly to represent the Queen, but in that case it would have been a total bluff and would have rather have took it down on the turn, to try and not leave me with the difficult decision of a semi bluff or crying call on the river Spike2120
    Posted by Spike2120
    Check calling here is the "hard" (i.e. riskier) decision in my opinion.
    Check raising is the easier decision because we either take the pot down then against a frequent bluffer or we get a very forceful response and have to lay down our hand.
    Check calling means that we are giving ourself the opportunity to benefit from calling bluffs on the turn and river.

• edited January 2010