You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Preparation before playing

edited August 2014 in Poker Chat

Do you have a routine before you start playing for a few hours to make it more comfortable for you? Do you like things a certain way? With things like...

- Seating
- Lighting
- Food & drink
- Tv/Music/Radio
- etc

Comments

• edited August 2014

During the day, I'm at desk so no special preparations.

Night time poker is fun time poker.

1. Have a wee.
    2. Twiglets and/or frozen grapes and/or seeds. Sometimes a glass of wine, usually fruit juice or soft drink with lots of ice.
    3. I use a little netbook as it's easy to get comfortable on sofa with it.
    4. Lights dimmed
    5. We usually choose a couple of films, but, if sport on TV I am Ipodding it, so I don't have to hear Mr Mac shouting at the (apparently they all are, from what I have gathered) illegitimate men who referee football matches.

• edited August 2014
    for lighting and nighttime grinders i'd seriously recommend f:lux: https://justgetflux.com/

it alters the colour tempreture of your screen so it matches the natural dimming of the sky. ie you will find your sleep patterns much easier to regulate.

mental preperations are underrated. simple breathing exercises can decluter your mind pre, during and post session. even the posture you adopt can influence testosterone levels, which in turn will affect your play. for examples studies have shown the people adopting power / dominant stances / sitting positions were much less risk adverse after adopting them than those who adopted low-power / submissive postures.

small edges accumulate into big ones imo.

some very quick and simple mental exercises to get the brain ticking over:

counting down from 100 backwards.

remembering a scene from a film / photgraph / album cover  etc in as much detail as you can recall.

singing the words to a song / playing an instrument.

dead simple 3 minute exercises that might prevent that one moment of brain-freeze that puts you out of a tournament / gets you into the big pot with J-high and a prayer.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Preparation before playing:
    for lighting and nighttime grinders i'd seriously recommend f:lux: https://justgetflux.com/ it alters the colour tempreture of your screen so it matches the natural dimming of the sky.
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    This sounds a great idea, thanks for the tip, have just downloaded it, if my computer now gets infected it's all your fault!
  • edited August 2014
    1. Laptop
    2. Beer

erm.................
  • edited August 2014
    wee bottle
    pro plus
    sleeping bag
  • edited August 2014
    wee bottle pro plus sleeping bag
    Posted by Donttelmum
    Not just me then, lol
  • edited August 2014
    1) have a wee
    2) make a coffee
    3) get some snacks (crisps, biscuits, chocolate bar, you know, the healthy stuff)
    4) e-cig topped up
    5) swear box ready for the bad beat heading my way

• edited August 2014
    Neck brace for the cat !
  • edited August 2014
    Looking forward to DOHHHHHHH's prep post...

Crack, fizz, glug, repeat is it, right? ;-)

• edited August 2014
    Neck brace for the cat !
    Posted by VespaPX
    Personally,  I make sure the cats are out before I play!  Saves on vets bills!  ;-))
  • edited August 2014
    I have a tradition that if I make the 10:55pm break of the main or mini - I hit the shower for a quick refresh
  • edited August 2014
    Prey to the poker gods
    Make sure bink bell is working

Just downloaded that flux thing cheers Teddy have been mucking aroun with the brightness etc for a while so is perfect for laptop/monitor.
  • edited August 2014
    Cheers Teddy - Downloaded that brightness thing as well
  • edited August 2014
    Looking forward to DOHHHHHHH's prep post... Crack, fizz, glug, repeat is it, right? ;-)
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Bonk knows!

We need to eat though, fry up first.

Never drink without eating and never eat when drinking! Basics.

Sleep is really important though. Playing tired is a bad idea. A drunk player P's all over a tired player.

If you don't snooze you lose !!
  • edited August 2014
    some very quick and simple mental exercises to get the brain ticking over: counting down from 100 backwards.
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    I gave this one a go and missed the late reg :(
  • edited August 2014
    During the day, I'm at desk so no special preparations. Night time poker is fun time poker. 1. Have a wee. 2. Twiglets and/or frozen grapes and/or seeds. Sometimes a glass of wine, usually fruit juice or soft drink with lots of ice. 3. I use a little netbook as it's easy to get comfortable on sofa with it. 4. Lights dimmed 5. We usually choose a couple of films, but, if sport on TV I am Ipodding it, so I don't have to hear Mr Mac shouting at the (apparently they all are, from what I have gathered) illegitimate men who referee football matches.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Standard.......

The woman is almost incapable of uttering a sentence that does not contain a food reference.

When playing & she says "I have the nuts", it does not mean what you think.

• edited August 2014

A difficult subject to discuss, slightly taboo, but several people make reference to, err, the matter of bladder evacuation & attendant receptacles.

The mind boggles. 

Without too much graphic detail - please - what sort of receptacles are generally used, & how are they, well, you know, emptied, topped up, that sort of thing?

One's imagination is running riot here.

We can reasonably assume this is a "men only" subject, yes?

• edited August 2014
    I have no set routine as such, but I do seem to play better when playing at a desk (rather than lounging on the sofa) and, curiously, while I'm eating fruit. Yep, pretty random.

As for bladder evacuation receptacles - no, just no. Although I have been known to take my laptop into the loo with me :D
  • edited August 2014
    I have no set routine as such, but I do seem to play better when playing at a desk (rather than lounging on the sofa) and, curiously, while I'm eating fruit. Yep, pretty random. As for bladder evacuation receptacles - no, just no. Although I have been known to take my laptop into the loo with me :D
    Posted by peter27
    Let me think this through, then.

If we hold the laptop in one hand, & the mouse in the other, are we not a hand short here?

On second thoughts, don't explain.
  • edited August 2014
    let's see for evenings
    drink - check
    kids in bed - check
    wife watching something on telly - check
    play a bit - check
    either yell at kids to be quiet and go to sleep, or, if it sounds like elephants upstairs, go upstairs and advise the kids it would be best for their future if they were quiet
    another drink - check
    play (and hope the kids stay quiet and the wife's programme is interesting)
  • edited August 2014
    A difficult subject to discuss, slightly taboo, but several people make reference to, err, the matter of bladder evacuation & attendant receptacles. The mind boggles.  Without too much graphic detail - please - what sort of receptacles are generally used, & how are they, well, you know, emptied, topped up, that sort of thing? One's imagination is running riot here.   We can reasonably assume this is a "men only" subject, yes?  
    Posted by Tikay10
     Shewee for the ladies Tikay!!  Google is your friend ;-)
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Preparation before playing : Let me think this through, then. If we hold the laptop in one hand, & the mouse in the other, are we not a hand short here? On second thoughts, don't explain.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I have installed a complex system of rigs and pulleys.

However, it also helps to rest the laptop on the back of the loo ;-)
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Preparation before playing : I have installed a complex system of rigs and pulleys. However, it also helps to rest the laptop on the back of the loo ;-)
    Posted by peter27
    Have a sit down wee???
  • edited August 2014
    I recently had this installed to help when playing.