You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

New forum Section - Omaha - your thoughts?

edited January 2010 in Poker Chat
Hey there guys,

i'm thinking about a new section of the forum specifically for Sky Poker's newest recruit - Omaha.

seeing as this is the Sky Poker Community, i thought i'd ask YOU the members first.

i'm thinking this new area could be your one stop Omaha stop, (strategy, advice, suggestions etc etc)

So what are your thoughts?

Comments

• edited January 2010
    Excellent idea so count me as a YES ;-)

• edited January 2010

Hi Rich

Totaly agree

• edited January 2010
    not completely my idea, just picked it up from the odd quiet suggestion here and there.

thought i'd make them slightly 'louder'

• edited January 2010
    i'm loving the fact (that at the time of typing) having an Alan Partridge area has 25% of the votes.

btw - i haven't voted....yet
  • edited January 2010
    Please start another area for Bad Beats, some people don't think their bad beats are Area 51 but they still annoy everyone!! please please please put a bad beat section up to keep them off here, either that or move every bad beat thread to area 51 alot quicker
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: New forum Section - Omaha - your thoughts?:
    Please start another area for Bad Beats, some people don't think their bad beats are Area 51 but they still annoy everyone!! please please please put a bad beat section up to keep them off here, either that or move every bad beat thread to area 51 alot quicker
    Posted by FlashFlush
    +1
  • edited January 2010
    Posted by FlashFlush
    i am afraid my opinon  would be to differ with you on this one flash,

whilst i can find the repetitive nature of these threads to be annoying also,

for three reasons i wish them to stay in general chat,

1. badbeats are part of poker general chat live or online in a regular bases.

it is part of the "your not going to believe what that fish called me with ".

2. the new sky poker players and posters,

seem to firstly read / post or thread this subject ,

in their introduction to the forum . 

3. general poker chat is the  face of the forum body,

and is where new players will look and use most often .

so yep it is annoying,

but i think it would be a loss for new players/posters and threaders .

over and out roborover !
  • edited January 2010
    OY!--How come you are allowed to put a community suggestion in general chat, yet my one gets shipped off to obscurity?----- one law for the Rich eh?
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: New forum Section - Omaha - your thoughts? : i am afraid my opinon  would be to differ with you on this one flash, whilst i can find the repetitive nature of these threads to be annoying also, for three reasons i wish them to stay in general chat, 1. badbeats are part of poker general chat live or online in a regular bases. it is part of the "your not going to believe what that fish called me with ". 2. the new sky poker players and posters,  seem to firstly read / post or thread this subject , in their introduction to the forum .  3. general poker chat is the  face of the forum body, and is where new players will look and use most often . so yep it is annoying,   but i think it would be a loss for new players/posters and threaders . over and out roborover !
    Posted by IRISHROVER
    I'm going to disagree with you, then.    :-)

1. It's not nice (or clever) to denigrate our fellow players by calling them donks/muppets/fish etc or to mock their play in any way. People who do this definitely don't deserve to have their views show-cased in the most active board on the forum.

2. On their first visit to the forum, new Sky Poker forum users shouldn't find a load of posts from people whinging. It would be better if they found a wider range of informative, amusing or just plain interesting posts.

• edited January 2010
    OY!--How come you are allowed to put a community suggestion in general chat, yet my one gets shipped off to obscurity?----- one law for the Rich eh?
    Posted by oynutter
    'Cos he can!
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: New forum Section - Omaha - your thoughts? : I'm going to disagree with you, then.    :-) 1. It's not nice (or clever) to denigrate our fellow players by calling them donks/muppets/fish etc or to mock their play in any way. People who do this definitely don't deserve to have their views show-cased in the most active board on the forum. 2. On their first visit to the forum, new Sky Poker forum users shouldn't find a load of posts from people whinging. It would be better if they found a wider range of informative, amusing or just plain interesting posts.
    Posted by MereNovice
    the word fish i thought was not mocking,

i apologize if i am wrong ,

players that go fishing for a few outers to win,

have always been known as fish,

in the poker world,

all players have titles in poker tight /sharks / aggressive and so on .

i hope this post above is not because,

i dare to differ with your m8 .

over and out roborover

• edited January 2010
    [QUOTE]Please start another area for Bad Beats, some people don't think their bad beats are Area 51 but they still annoy everyone!! please please please put a bad beat section up to keep them off here, either that or move every bad beat thread to area 51 alot quicker
    Posted by FlashFlush

This - PLEASE. Bad Beat threads are the very bane of all poker forums - nobody wants to see them, or read them, they are wholly negative & serve no function except to the OP. People want to Post them, yes (Heaven knows why), but read them - noooooooooooo!

Any newbie to our Community who sees a forum full of Bad Beat tales will be off like a shot. Stick them in a Board down by Area 51, so we are not plagued by them.

Nothing depresses the Forum mood more than Bad-Beat Tales.
  • edited January 2010

An Omaha Board - yes please, NOW!

We have lots of good Omaha stuff, & Omaha is a VERY different game to Texas. We can all contribute to each other's Omaha education, but not without an Omaha Board.
  • edited January 2010
    i accidently registered for a £22 DYM SnG omaha thinking it was holdem lol. i finished top 3, shout out to shotshy77 whos a top guy, he told me some rules and tips and we had fun chatting, even if i did get lucky vs him twice (one including a straight flush) but he took it in his stride and it was enjoyable. i hadnt a clue what i was doing at first lol
  • edited January 2010
    This - PLEASE. Bad Beat threads are the very bane of all poker forums - nobody wants to see them, or read them, they are wholly negative & serve no function except to the OP. People want to Post them, yes (Heaven knows why), but read them - noooooooooooo! Any newbie to our Community who sees a forum full of Bad Beat tales will be off like a shot. Stick them in a Board down by Area 51, so we are not plagued by them. Nothing depresses the Forum mood more than Bad-Beat Tales.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I think they would have to be near the top (2nd to the General poker caht imo) otherwise people will not see it and come in ranting and raving on the general thread as usual. At least if its the 2nd section then they might see it, lets be honest, when they come to post bad beats they are generally not in a cool calm mood to check they are posting in the correct section
  • edited January 2010
    Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
  • edited January 2010
    I am in favour of a seperate section for Omaha.
  • edited January 2010

Yes - stick OMAHA in a section on its own PLEASE. I dont play it/like it/understand it/ want to understand it.
    Same as Cash really......so stick that out the way aswell.
    And if some people can give opinions on 'bad beat' winges then I sugest you should also treat all the other poker related things with the same brush.
    I for one do not mind reading these threads as it is all a part of learning the game of poker. And IMO, most ask for advise on how the hand could of been played differently or the logic behind some calls. If all the 'poker experts' on here wish not read/advise/help, so be it but I thought this forum had some 'community' spirit?
  • edited January 2010
    Yes - stick OMAHA in a section on its own PLEASE. I dont play it/like it/understand it/ want to understand it. Same as Cash really......so stick that out the way aswell. And if some people can give opinions on 'bad beat' winges then I sugest you should also treat all the other poker related things with the same brush. I for one do not mind reading these threads as it is all a part of learning the game of poker. And IMO, most ask for advise on how the hand could of been played differently or the logic behind some calls. If all the 'poker experts' on here wish not read/advise/help, so be it but I thought this forum had some 'community' spirit?
    Posted by MAXALLY
    There is a "Poker Strategy" section for threads where people genuinely wish to learn about how to play things differently or the logic behind moves.
    A lot of good feedback is given on that board.

People who post merely to state how unlucky they have been or to denigrate the other players on this site are not using the forum for this purpose and their threads should not be allowed to clog up the main "General Poker Chat" forum.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: New forum Section - Omaha - your thoughts? : the word fish i thought was not mocking, i apologize if i am wrong , players that go fishing for a few outers to win, have always been known as fish, in the poker world, all players have titles in poker tight /sharks / aggressive and so on . i hope this post above is not because,   i dare to differ with your m8 . over and out roborover
    Posted by IRISHROVER
    I AGREE WITH YOU ROVER. IT WAS MY FIRST VISIT TO THE FORUM THE OTHER DAY AND WAS RAGING A BIT ABOUT "DONKS" (FOR WANT OF A BETTER WORD) . THE FIRST COMMENTS THAT I READ WERE FROM *FALLEN* WHO FELT THE SAME AS ME REGARDING THEM AND BAD BEATS.

I PROCEDED TO WRITE AN ANGRY AND FINGER POINTING MESSAGE BUT I STARTED TO READ MANY OTHER PLAYERS OPINIONS ON BAD BEATS AFTERWARDS.

I THEN, AS YOU AND TIKAY KNOW, COMPLETELY CHANGED MY ATTITUDE TO POSITIVE.

IF NO ONE WAS TALKING ABOUT THIS TOPIC I WOULD STILL BE ANGRY AND ALIENATED ABOUT THE WHOLE SUBJECT. THANK GOODNESS FOR THIS FORUM NOT BEING AFRAID TO TALK ABOUT THINGS THAT MIGHT NOT BE POPULAR BECAUSE THE LAST 2 DAYS HAVE CHANGED THE WAY I VIEW NOT ONLY BAD BEATS AND SPOILERS , BUT MY ENTIRE POKER TEMPERAMENT AND TACTICS FOR GOOD.
  • edited January 2010
    I, LIKE MANY PLAYERS, DISCOVERED OMAHA BY ACCIDENT IN A DYM. I WAS DELIGHTED TO GET FOUR CARDS BUT DID NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO. I THOUGHT I HAD FLUSHES AND STRAIGHTS USING ONLY ONE CARD LOL.

AFTER GETTING MY PANTS PULLED DOWN SEVERELY IN THAT TOURNAMENT, I WENT TO READ THE RULES.

AFTER THAT I REALLY ENJOYED PLAYING IT AND HAVE KEPT FLITTING TO IT, PARTICULARLY WHEN MY LUCK HAS BEEN DOWN PLAYING HOLDEM.

ITS REALLY GOOD FUN AND EVEN DONKS ARE NOT REA;LLY DONKS AT ALL. THEY ARE JUST PLAYERS WHO REALLY THINK THAT THEY HAVE A GOOD HAND WHEN THEY DONT LOL. YOU CAN SIT AT A DYM AND NOT PLAY A HAND BECAUSE OF THESE PLAYERS JUST SKINNING EACH OTHER WHILE YOU WATCH AND WIN WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING.

BEST ADVICE I CAN GIVE, WHICH HELPED ME A LOT, WAS TO ALWAYS LOOK AT WHAT IS WRITTEN UNDERNEATH THE COMMUNITY CARDS TO SEE WHAT YOU HAVE RATHER THAN JUST GAUPING AT THE 2 BULLETS THAT ARE ONLY HALF THE STORY OF YOUR HAND.

ALSO INTERLINKED CARDS ARE MUCH BETTER TO GO ALL IN WITH THAN PAIRS MOST OF THE TIME I FIND. A HALF DECENT HAND LIKE 2 PAIRS IN HOLDEM IS A BIT RUBBISH IN OMAHA.

LIKE I SAID ITS GREAT WHEN YOU ARE DOWN AT HOLDEM TO GO PLAY OMAHA FOR HALF AN HOUR JUST TO LOOK AT AFEW GOOD CARDS FOR A CHANGE. MAKES ME FEEL GOOD ANYWAY LOL. 
  • edited January 2010
    thanks for all the feedback everyone.

now check out the new area of the forum.

oooo shiny
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: New forum Section - Omaha - your thoughts? : [QUOTE ]Please start another area for Bad Beats , some people don't think their bad beats are Area 51 but they still annoy everyone!! please please please put a bad beat section up to keep them off here, either that or move every bad beat thread to area 51 alot quicker Posted by FlashFlush
    This - PLEASE. Bad Beat threads are the very bane of all poker forums - nobody wants to see them, or read them, they are wholly negative & serve no function except to the OP. People want to Post them, yes (Heaven knows why), but read them - noooooooooooo! Any newbie to our Community who sees a forum full of Bad Beat tales will be off like a shot. Stick them in a Board down by Area 51, so we are not plagued by them. Nothing depresses the Forum mood more than Bad-Beat Tales.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Sorry to disagree, but i love bad beat tales of woe, especially when they start blaming everyone and everything else, and even more so when it happens 'all the time' and would ' never happen in live poker' but then again i think i must have a bit of an evil streak in me !! 'sorry, must learn to not laugh at tales of woe and poker software corruption'
  • edited January 2010
    thanks for all the feedback everyone. now check out the new area of the forum. oooo shiny
    Posted by Sky_Rich
     Thank you for this Rich. Just one thing , could you please organise a a link for the lefthand side. Cheers again
  • edited January 2010
    yep sure thing. it just takes a while for the system to update
  • edited January 2010
    thanks for all the feedback everyone. now check out the new area of the forum. oooo shiny
    Posted by Sky_Rich
    ?

I've looked and can't see the Alan Partridge sub-forum at all (?)
  • edited January 2010

Sky-Rich,

A lot of work by many Members went into the "Omaha - Hints & Tips for Beginners" Thread, could you please transfer it across to the new Omaha Board please.

It is here

Thanks.

• edited January 2010
    Sky-Rich, A lot of work by many Members went into the "Omaha - Hints & Tips for Beginners" Thread, could you please transfer it across to the new Omaha Board please. It is here Thanks.
    Posted by Tikay10

done. sorry for the delay
  • edited January 2010

i think its a great idea would make it easier for newbies like myself to omaha  dtw