You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Exit hand from Goliath Deepstack Tourny in Coventry

edited August 2014 in The Poker Clinic
Exit hand from yesterday’s Goliath tournament at Coventry. Tourney = £120 Deepstack – 25,000 starting stack with blinds starting at 25/50 with 40 minute blind levels so a great slow structure. 

This was about 2/3 of the way through DAY 1 with Blinds at 500/1000 – I started the hand with approx 35,000 so 35 big blinds (this was the shortest stack to blind ratio I’d been at all day so was feeling impatient to get back up before the blinds increased any further on me). 

I raised to 2300 from early position with Ace/Jack of Diamonds. The button calls and everyone else folded to its just me and him. 

The flop comes 5/6/7 with 2 diamonds so I’ve flopped the nut flush draw (and I have two overs). I bet 3,500 (approx half pot) so  I’ve now put approx 6,000 into the pot and have under 30 big blinds left behind. 

To my surprise he raises to 12,000. So I know he must have something - I am dismissing a set because I don’t expect someone with a set to raise that much (but then again he might be given the straight possibilities on this board) so I assume he maybe has two pair but just as likely he has a pocket pair that is an overpair to the board but lower than Jacks (because surely he would have re raised pre flop with Jacks or better) – so I am putting him on two pair combos and pocket pairs 88 99 TT 

Since he raised to 12k I know a shove for the approx 30k I have left behind is very unlikely to get a fold but  I have the nut flush draw and two over cards (and my stack size is starting to dwindle in relation to the blinds) so I shove all in. 

He thinks for a short time and then calls and turns over pocket Kings – which I certainly did not expect. 

So my jack is no longer an out – with the flush draw and the 3 Aces I have approx 40% chance of hitting. 

I don’t and I’m out. 

Should I have shoved all in on the flop for my tournament life? 

My only other two options are: 

Call his raise to 12k and see what happens on the turn but then I am putting in over 1/3 of my stack to call and would have to fold if I miss the turn. 

Fold – I can’t really fold when I’ve flopped the nut flush draw with two overs can I? 

Frank and honest responses would be welcomed please.

Comments

• edited August 2014
    Really interesting hand  and UL btw.  I think in the heat of the moment anyone would find it difficult to lay down your hand.  However on reflection, your hand is likely to be beat and should probably assume that your only outs are flush outs.  The only thing you haven't really explained in your post are any details about the villain, how you have seen him play previously and what history if any is there between you two. A tight player would make that bet to defend a hand like overpair, two pair or a set against yours.  Your call is marginal, but maybe against a very agrresive player you could call assuming he is making some kind of semi-bluff.  An aggresive player could make that move with a hand like K8, A8, 910, 910s, but you would still have to factor made hands into his range too.  So overall in the majority of situations you are beat and need to call off all your chips as an underdog and hit to stay in the tourney.  To fold would be annoying, but 30bb is still plenty to come back from.
  • edited August 2014
    Standard, get it in on that flop. only way i would ever consider folding is if he only ever plays the virtual nuts... otherwise he could be doing that with worse flush draws and you have great equity against nearly every hand he could have.
  • edited August 2014
    Think this is a clear get it in spot, just UL.
  • edited August 2014
    Standard stuff methinks.
  • edited August 2014
    Yep get it in all day long.  I think I prefer a check raise all in but still wanting to get it in.
  • edited August 2014
    Yeah, it's a standard shove, take a deep breath, and hope for the best. I would think the flop-raise is a set too. Maybe 7s. Possibly pocket 8s, giving him the straight draw too.
  • edited August 2014

I'd check shove.

• edited August 2014
    Hero is PFA so not overly keen on checking after flopping so well. I'd C/bet as normal and am pretty happy with life when I'm raised on the flop, gives us the leverage to get our stack in with our equity at it's highest.

Villain played his KK sneakily and got the lot, but I bet he papped himself a little bit when the hands were turned over ;)
  • edited August 2014

Prefer check raise but regardless gii on this flop is totally standard.

Flip better next time!

• edited August 2014
    Don't see how you can check on a board like that?? so so so many hands he is just going to check back and then you either lose all your equity within the hand, or hit your flush and struggle to get the lot.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Exit hand from Goliath Deepstack Tourny in Coventry:
    Think this is a clear get it in spot, just UL.
    Posted by Matt237

+1 with the money already invested in the pot your getting the correct price to gii with just a fd never mind a fd + 2 overs(which was your thinking at the time) just a cooler givin ur stack because we can never fold here and if we did it would be -e.v
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Exit hand from Goliath Deepstack Tourny in Coventry:
    Don't see how you can check on a board like that?? so so so many hands he is just going to check back and then you either lose all your equity within the hand, or hit your flush and struggle to get the lot.
    Posted by jordz16
    Hero opened from early position. When we check this flop villain is gonna think were giving up a ton so imo he is gonna stab loads hands. Dead money to be won when he folds to the c/r and were not bothered if he jams either.

Don't think villain checking back is a disaster either tbh.