You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Recommended / up to date reading to improve MTT play

edited August 2014 in Poker Chat

Does anyone have any recommendations that might prove a good resource to help a micro stakes MTT player try to improve to a competent (at least break even) low/mid stakes level?  Would be nice to be able to enter some of the bigger buy in games on Sky and not get completely steamrollered!

Was looking at the Kill Phil / Kill Everyone books on amazon that get good reviews, but sounds like they are more directed at deeper stack, full ring games, so may not be that helpful in respect to playing on here?

I'm sure there must also be some decent stuff online, but lots of what I've stumbled across so far (forums and videos) seems to either be aimed at total noddys or heavy on exploiting opponents pokertracker stats (the latter also being pretty useless in respect of Sky).

Comments

• edited August 2014
    Tbf alot of stuff will be directed at full ring games just because probably 90% of MTTs are full ring but that doesn't mean you can't still take a lot from it.

I haven't read Kill Phil but I have read Kill Everyone and while it is a really good book, it can be pretty hard going and may be more in depth than you're looking for.

When people ask this question I always say the same answer... Winning Poker Tournaments: One Hand At A Time (there's volume 1, 2 and 3). It's written by 3 very successful online MTT grinders, volume 1 discusses everything up to the bubble and including bubble play, volume 2 is about once you're ITM going on to win the lot. It's set out as basically just a ton of real hand histories from each of the 3 writers where they explain everything they plan to do in a hand and why. I haven't read volume 3 yet. If you read them and actually take it in then it's eassssily enough to be a winning MTT player at low stakes on here imo.
  • edited August 2014
    or if you are not a reader i recommend googling felix schneider (might have spelt this wrong) but he is one of the best online 6 max players that i have found in my travels around the net he does hundreds of video logs where he explains what he is doing as he plays the hand
  • edited August 2014
    I thought kill everyone and raisers edge had some useful stuff in them. 

Whatever you do though dont buy any of them you cant get 99% of them free online. If need any help finding them online pm me. 
  • edited August 2014
    Raisers Edge is an excellent book, would highly recommend it.

I've also recently been recommended Poker's 1%, although must confess to not having started it yet.
  • edited August 2014
    If your looking exclusively for books Winning poker tournaments one hand at a time is pretty good.

Imo though subscription to an online training site for like £5-10 a month is waaayyy better value then any of the books out there.

• edited August 2014
    Thanks for feedback so far.

Not really fussed whether books or training videos, the biggest thing is to find something current to todays game as opposed to something which would have been awesome for Chris Moneymaker to have read before he rocked up to the 2003 WSOP, but would have me struggling to even min cash a £2 BH in 2014.

One hand at a time sounds like another I need to scour for second hand copies of. I can dig e-copies out for free, but it does my head in reading on a laptop. And the recent economy drive at work means big brother now counts every page we print out, so I can't be bothered explaining why I came in at a weekend to print a 700 page document :)
  • edited August 2014
    Going to sound like I'm slagging off written stuff, but most written stuff is out of date or useless. That's with the exception of some very good places which I'm pretty sure charge more than what you'd get with any decent coach, at least for the levels you want.

Instead of reading I would suggest railing really strong winning players, try to guess their hand/what their repping, think of why they can have that etc. see how often your right at showdown. Also consider their villains range and what the villain is repping. This will improve your game free of cost, but will also gain you plenty of reads, and experience as if you where playing. It's also far more upto date learning than written and video based teaching.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Recommended / up to date reading to improve MTT play:
    Thanks for feedback so far. Not really fussed whether books or training videos, the biggest thing is to find something current to todays game as opposed to something which would have been awesome for Chris Moneymaker to have read before he rocked up to the 2003 WSOP, but would have me struggling to even min cash a £2 BH in 2014. One hand at a time sounds like another I need to scour for second hand copies of. I can dig e-copies out for free, but it does my head in reading on a laptop. And the recent economy drive at work means big brother now counts every page we print out, so I can't be bothered explaining why I came in at a weekend to print a 700 page document :)
    Posted by shakinaces
    This is pretty much why training vids are much better than books imo.

I know you play a lot of cash as well so with this option your not limited to just working on your MTT game etc.