You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Moving seats online

edited August 2014 in Poker Chat

Out of interest, what's the etiquette in relation to moving to a different seat at a table in order to take position on a particular player?

Only ask as there are now 3 or 4 players that snap do this whenever I first join a table and am sat to their left.

I'm guessing this is just because I'm a fish and they see it as easy money. Don't want to jump on the bandwagon and start doing it myself if it's something that is frowned upon...

Comments

• edited August 2014
    in my opinion poker is NOT a friendly game and if people are doing it to you then there should be no problem doing it yourself or making sure when you join a table that this is impossible to do

people play this game to win money so you should do whatever you need to do to get an advantage

if you are worried about seeming unfriendly to people who might not like you doing this make a note of all the people who do this to you and then only do it to those players
  • edited August 2014
    You're free to do whatever you want but imo it's really bad etiquette and I wouldn't do it myself. You'll see it occasionally, especially when the odd really high stakes game runs with 1 big 'fish', and everyone is desperately swapping seats to get position on that guy... it's like musical chairs with everyone swapping seats non stop. Think how bad it looks to the rec player... and in situations like that I've seen the rec saying in chat how obvious it is. Not exactly the kind of environment/atmosphere you want to create to encourage new players to stick around.

If you're new to join a table then you're well within your right imo to sit where you want, and it's just common sense/good poker to choose to sit to the direct left of someone who's vv bad at the game if you can, but to have been sat there for an hour, someone bad joins and you snap stand and sit back to their left is just scummy.

• edited August 2014
    as someone who plays on lots of sites at the same time, I would say this is a problem that is almost exclusively sky's.  It does happen on other sites, but not nearly as much as it does here.

well, I guess it could be that the problem is elsewhere but its more NOTICABLE on this site because its such a smaller pool of players that the reg's stand out a mile.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Moving seats online:
    Out of interest, what's the etiquette in relation to moving to a different seat at a table in order to take position on a particular player? Only ask as there are now 3 or 4 players that snap do this whenever I first join a table and am sat to their left. I'm guessing this is just because I'm a fish and they see it as easy money. Don't want to jump on the bandwagon and start doing it myself if it's something that is frowned upon...
    Posted by shakinaces
    Or because they think your good and don't fancy being sat to your right. I used to think about best place to sit sometimes when joining a table, in the end there was so many different things to work out (relative position, table dynamics, type of fish, how regs were adapting to specific type of fish) that I figured it really wasn't worth the energy. I'd just take it as a compliment that they find you tough to play.

• edited August 2014
    Aw i dont see you as a fish buddy :D

I wouldnt do it either. But some people do to make getting money *easier*. Hope your ok.
  • edited August 2014
    Would be good that if there was 2 or more seats available then the software randomly sits you in one of the free seats.

• edited August 2014
    Ha ha yeah, to be fair it may be the case that I 3b too much in my NL10 comfort zone and annoy certain players as a result.

Randomising where you are sat would be a good plan, which I guess Sky will one day offer when they (inevitably?) add a rush-poker type variant.

People have previously mentioned the small player pool may count against this, but I think it'd work well. Removes any bumhunting agenda which would keep the recreational players happier on the site, plus would definitely work much better in a 1-tabling iPad environment.

It'd also keep certain players happier about people taking a long time to click buttons... you won't even notice if you've fast-folded and already moved to the next hand :)