You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Hands from Day two UKPC

edited August 2014 in The Poker Clinic

Hi All,

First time trying to post on the Poker Clinic so please excuse any mistakes.

I would like some comments on my hands from day two of the UKPC.

I was really pleased to have made it through with about the average chip count but felt that I had become very passive towards the end of day one and my resolution for day two was to be more aggressive especially pre-flop as I was getting outplayed post flop.

I had 110,000 chips blinds 1000/2000 with 300 ante.

Sat down at the table and really felt that I was the weakest player there, from the chat they were all regulars. Looked down at AKo first hand in the BB.

UTG with about 60,000 chips opened 4500 - folded to me. I didn’t want to just call and trap then get outplayed on the flop if I didn’t hit so I raised 15,000 with the intention of calling a raise or all-in.

He went all-in, I called and lost to QQ.

My other thinking was if I won I would be comfortable for a while with 170,000 chips, if I lost I’d still have 25BB.

What are your thoughts?

Two orbits later again in the BB with 50,000 chips now I have Kd, 7d. Button raises to 4,500. I called.

Flop is 3d,4d,4c. With a flush draw and two over cards I was prepared to push over a ‘c’ bet. I checked and he checked behind. Turn was a K. I bet 7,000 he raised to 15,000.

With top pair and a flush draw I went all in. He turned over 33 for a flopped house!

At the time I didn’t think I could get away from it but now I look at it I was probably on tilt and could may be have let it go. I’d still have had just under 20 BBs but the temptation to try to double up to 50 was too great.

Comments appreciated.

Comments

• edited August 2014
    Hand 1 - fine. Flatting pre might be better since against a tight UTG range AK isn't in amazing shape but if you think you were the weaker player at the table then you played it the correct way as it gives you no chance of making a mistake.

Hand 2 - Just flatting with your stack size is going to be burning you chips. Yes, we're getting great odds but with this stack size we want to be preserving our chips to get the maximum value if we double up or to give the most fold equity over a 3-bet shove. With 25bb's you've got a decent re-shoving stack size. There's 8700 in the middle after BTN has opened and winning all them chips in the middle will be a 17.5% chip increase. That is a big chip increase to get and doing this at every good oppertunity will really help you increase your chip size.

Lets say BTN is opening really wide (80% of the time) in an unopened pot, and he only calls a shove 1/4 of the time he opens. That means 3 out of 4 times you win 8700 chips uncontested. If he's calling 1 in 4 that means he's calling with the top 20% of hands and K7s has 38.39% equity against that range. The pot size will be 102,200 and with the equity you have you will end up winning 39,200 chips on average when called - which equates to a loss of 10,800 chips. However, remember you are winning 8700 chips 3 out of 4 times that he folds. Which means you're basically winning 15,300 chips on average by making this play. That's a lot of chips that are worth having.

As played - it's a little unlucky. Maybe you can just flat turn because nothing worse is calling your shove and nothing better folding - but with what you had left the shove is fine too.
  • edited August 2014
    Posted by F_Ivanovic

Thanks, that's great analysis and I completely agree. I would hope that on line when I can see the numbers I would haved shoved but I hadn't adjusted to only having 25BB and have never played with antes before.
    A shove would also have sent the message - stop trying to steal my blind which I think would have been important.
    Thanks for putting the numbers together. Much appreciated.
    Don

• edited August 2014
    Hand 1 is WP, but think Hand 2 probably a fold pre. As played not really much you could do.