You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

List of banned words which shouldn,t be banned

edited August 2014 in Poker Chat
Following on from a post by Viagret i mentioned i was "far ting " around with something in the chat box during a discussion in a game. It was blocked and probably looked worse as it could have been something else i said

There are some really non-offensive and quite normal words that you would type in the chat box but for some reason they get blocked out.

Perhaps if we can make a list then Sky can re-enter them into the filters so we don,t have to start putting gaps in words when having some banter or general discusions in the chat box during games or on the forum

Like it or not Adolf Hitl er is an historical figure in the last century but try typing in "hi tler" and it will block it. As long as your not bigging him up or anything i don,t see why his name should be banned. It should go through the filters for those times when playing poker or on the forum when we may be having an historical debate or discussion about World War II or the history of Europe in the late 1930,s etc etc

Comments

• edited August 2014
    Thats why there arn't any forest fans on Sky Poker :)

that one always tickles me
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: List of banned words which shouldn,t be banned:
    Thats why there arn't any forest fans on Sky Poker :) that one always tickles me
    Posted by POKERTREV
    Exactly how it should be :)
  • edited August 2014
  • edited August 2014
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to List of banned words which shouldn,t be banned:
    Like it or not Adolf Hitl er is an historical figure in the last century but try typing in "hi tler" and it will block it. As long as your not bigging him up or anything i don,t see why his name should be banned.
    Posted by MP33
    If they block Hit ler's name they should also block most of the other dreadful leaders this world has seen such as Blair, Bush, Sharon, Netanyahu, Obama etc :)

Edit: it wouldn't let me enter Sad dam lol
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to List of banned words which shouldn,t be banned : If they block Hit ler's name they should also block most of the other dreadful leaders this world has seen such as Blair, Bush, Sharon, Netanyahu, Obama etc :) Edit: it wouldn't let me enter Sad dam lol
    Posted by DoubleAAA
    Mussolini.

Yup. Fantastic guy.
  • edited August 2014
  • edited August 2014
    Following on from a post by Viagret i mentioned i was "far ting " around with something in the chat box during a discussion in a game. It was blocked and probably looked worse as it could have been something else i said There are some really non-offensive and quite normal words that you would type in the chat box but for some reason they get blocked out. Perhaps if we can make a list then Sky can re-enter them into the filters so we don,t have to start putting gaps in words when having some banter or general discusions in the chat box during games or on the forum Like it or not Adolf Hitl er is an historical figure in the last century but try typing in "hi tler" and it will block it. As long as your not bigging him up or anything i don,t see why his name should be banned. It should go through the filters for those times when playing poker or on the forum when we may be having an historical debate or discussion about World War II or the history of Europe in the late 1930,s etc etc
    Posted by MP33

I agree with your sentiments, but in what context does the use of adolf hit ler have a relevance to poker unless you are making an extremist comment?

Personally I get annoyed that table names are blanked out, and other poker sites. Sorry but we all use them and its not a big deal if we talk about other sites in chat. It is a free market after all. 

• edited August 2014
    In Response to List of banned words which shouldn,t be banned : I agree with your sentiments, but in what context does the use of adolf hit ler have a relevance to poker unless you are making an extremist comment? Personally I get annoyed that table names are blanked out, and other poker sites. Sorry but we all use them and its not a big deal if we talk about other sites in chat. It is a free market after all. 
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    I think the point trying to be made, is that it does not have to be - and often isn't - poker-related conversations being had in the chat box. It is quite conceivable that you could be talking about that guy with the moustache.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: List of banned words which shouldn,t be banned : I think the point trying to be made, is that it does not have to be - and often isn't - poker-related conversations being had in the chat box. It is quite conceivable that you could be talking about that guy with the moustache.
    Posted by Slipwater
    Disagree, the said word could be used in an anti semitic context and therefore should be banned. I accept it is an example, but there are tons of other words that are much more relevant to the point made by the OP.
  • edited August 2014
    We're allowed to use the word Paedo but cannot say Sad dam, Lad en or For est.  GG Sky.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: List of banned words which shouldn,t be banned : Disagree, the said word could be used in an anti semitic context and therefore should be banned. I accept it is an example, but there are tons of other words that are much more relevant to the point made by the OP.
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    So, simply by virtue of the fact that the name could be used in an anti-semitic way means it should be banned? You could have a purely historical discussion about the guy - it doesn't mean you agree with his beliefs.

Political correctness is a scourge on society.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: List of banned words which shouldn,t be banned : Disagree, the said word could be used in an anti semitic context and therefore should be banned. I accept it is an example, but there are tons of other words that are much more relevant to the point made by the OP.
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    Have to disagree with you there Sanj.  We're allowed to say Jew and Jewish which both could be used in  Anti-Semtic context.

Now the word 'Arsenal' should definitely be banned. ;)
  • edited August 2014
     Small Horse.. 
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: List of banned words which shouldn,t be banned : Exactly how it should be :)
    Posted by Jac35
    To be fair, Sky even things up by also banning the phrase sheep sha ggers... :)
  • edited August 2014
    'BOOK THE WIN'   how terrible is that...   BAN  BAN  BAN
  • edited August 2014
    Following on from a post by Viagret i mentioned i was "far ting " around with something in the chat box during a discussion in a game. It was blocked and probably looked worse as it could have been something else i said There are some really non-offensive and quite normal words that you would type in the chat box but for some reason they get blocked out. Perhaps if we can make a list then Sky can re-enter them into the filters so we don,t have to start putting gaps in words when having some banter or general discusions in the chat box during games or on the forum Like it or not Adolf Hitl er is an historical figure in the last century but try typing in "hi tler" and it will block it. As long as your not bigging him up or anything i don,t see why his name should be banned. It should go through the filters for those times when playing poker or on the forum when we may be having an historical debate or discussion about World War II or the history of Europe in the late 1930,s etc etc
    Posted by MP33
    Not even joking, me and others have tried to have an informed debate about Ir aq and of course you can't say the countries name!
    At the the end of the day it's nannying people and treating them like children when they have to be over 18 to play anyway. 
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: List of banned words which shouldn,t be banned : So, simply by virtue of the fact that the name could be used in an anti-semitic way means it should be banned? You could have a purely historical discussion about the guy - it doesn't mean you agree with his beliefs. Political correctness is a scourge on society.
    Posted by Slipwater

It's not political correctness, I have witnessed the use of the word in real life in an anti semetic context. So it would not take a genius to figure that the word could be used online in the same context even in an obscure setting such as Sky Poker. 

Your from Scotland right? There are loads of spurs fans on sky who have been subject to anti semitism down the years from other clubs fans, it wouldnt take much for an idiot to use an inappropriate reference. It's not political correctness to ban the name, its common sense. 

• edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: List of banned words which shouldn,t be banned : It's not political correctness, I have witnessed the use of the word in real life in an anti semetic context. So it would not take a genius to figure that the word could be used online in the same context even in an obscure setting such as Sky Poker.  Your from Scotland right? There are loads of spurs fans on sky who have been subject to anti semitism down the years from other clubs fans, it wouldnt take much for an idiot to use an inappropriate reference. It's not political correctness to ban the name, its common sense. 
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    I disagree.

Banning the name doesn't remove the thinking behind its use. If someone wants to flaunt their particular prejudice, then they just do so in another manner - without that person's name. You may as well ban the word 'black', because it could be used in a prejudicial way.
  • edited August 2014
    Hi guys, I'm going to have to close this thread, the forum's not really the place to be debating this kind of thing. I'll forward on your feedback that you think the profanity list needs looking at.
  • edited August 2014
    Posted by MP33
    lol :)