You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

My 6-Max Experience

edited August 2014 in Poker Chat
Right, I thought I'd use my experience at DTD on Thursday to write my first post in the forum! Apologies in advance for rambling....

I've been playing on Sky Poker for about 6 years, in the early days learning the basics of the game playing DYMs, and in the last couple of years limiting my play to a couple of main/mini combos a week.

As for live poker, well, until Thursday, I'd never played live. When the 6-Max festival was announced, it never crossed my mind to try and satellite my way in, but in May I decided to enter the 'Best of the Best' promotion (why not!). What followed was a nice little run of results, and before I knew it, I found myself in the top 10 and managed to hang on to 10th position to qualify.

From June onwards my good run continued, so clearly, I felt my game was in pretty solid shape. My intention at that point was to try and get down to the Grosvenor in Luton to try my hand at live poker before Nottingham, but due to work and other commitments, this wasn't possible. So, I showed up at DTD on Thursday with absolutely no idea what to expect! It took me a while to get to grips with having physical chips in front of me (and I'd never played with antes before!) - thanks to the others at Table 54 for their patience!

What followed from then on was a tough, exhausting day but ultimately a thoroughly enjoyable one. It goes without saying, but playing live is a totally different kettle of fish to online. Having people watching your every move, staring you down as you consider your next action - I wasn't prepared for it but think I learned pretty quickly. I had to deal with the frustrations early on of being dealt KK twice and QQ once, only for an Ace to come on the flop); I was directly OOP to an extremely aggressive player who had built up a large chip stack early on and presumably saw me as the weak link at the table! I remember another interesting hand where I 3-bet AQ suited on the button after a 3x bet from a tight player under the gun. He called, flop came out Q9x with two spades.... I bet, he raised me for about half my remaining stack.... I put him on either 99, a straight/flush draw or even slow-played AA/KK and folded. That put me down to about 25-30k where I languished until the dinner break. Got down to about 30 minutes of the day's play left, re-raised pocket 10s all-in with about 20BB, called by QQ, goodnight!

All in all, it was a fantastic experience and I can't complain with the outcome! I know there are faults in my game (some, no doubt, visible above!), but I felt I held my own against some very tough, experienced live poker players. It was also nice to see some familiar faces both from Sky and the world of poker. Congrats to a Sky and DTD for a great event.

Right, I'm off to catch a bit of the final table at DTD before the drive home down the M1, back in time to take down the Super Roller tonight! ;-)

P.S. If anyone from Table 54 happens to read this, would be grateful for an honest assessment of what you thought of my play - don't hold back!

Comments