You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Turning TP into a Bluff

edited August 2014 in The Poker Clinic
Villian is pretty solid pre and post. Seen him do the odd funky thing like 3betting 36s pre, but postflop he doesn't mess about, if he looks like he's got it, he usually does.

Pre, flop and turn all seem standard (i wouldn't be loving life so much V this guy tho if I hadn't picked up the FD).

When he bets for the 3rd time (and I've bricked FD), I think there's vvv little in his range that I beat so can't call imo, but I think I can get him off a lot of his likely holdings like QQ+ and AJ. Fwiw I think he goes bigger on riv with strong hands like sets.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Lambert180 Small blind   £0.25 £0.25 £67.53
zinfan Big blind   £0.50 £0.75 £53.77
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • K

X Raise   £1.50 £2.25 £48.50
paul3975 Call   £1.50 £3.75 £15.27
haidyboy Fold        
EDDZ Fold        
Lambert180 Call   £1.25 £5.00 £66.28
zinfan Fold        
Flop

• J

Lambert180 Check        
X Bet   £3.00 £8.00 £45.50
paul3975 Fold        
Lambert180 Call   £3.00 £11.00 £63.28
Turn

Lambert180 Check        
X Bet   £7.50 £18.50 £38.00
Lambert180 Call   £7.50 £26.00 £55.78
River

Lambert180 Check        
X Bet   £13.00 £39.00 £25.00
Lambert180 All-in   £55.78 £94.78 £0.00

Comments

• edited August 2014
    Quite like the play as part of an overall game plan if its against someone you play a lot.

Not great at maths but it looks like you need to fold out better 50% of the time for it to be a break even play and he needs to win 33% of the time to make the call. Not to sure if its a winning play in isolation tbh , maybe if you think he's folding AJ,QQ? (getting a pretty good price with these hands, but then we look really strong for same reason, bit of a levelling one maybe)  

I think if you believe its close adding bluffs into your range in spots where maybe you shouldn't have too many bluffs is a good thing.
  • edited August 2014
    i think it all comes down to weather or not your likely to play sets and 89 in this way really because the majority of the time this 7 will be just a brick and there is no 3bet preflop so AA KK QQ and maybe JJ can probably be ruled out too.

going off what your saying it sounds like his final bet with weaker hands is done on the turn so already you have got full value from these weaker hands so why not Ch/R the turn when you know there is still a chance of getting the river card to go ahead of those certain to call you ie sets, J10 maybe AA?
    another benifit is If you were to get a flush on the river your guarentee to have maximum value from him. and the Kd might rule out some flush and straight draws but there is still a number of hands he has got that could call a shove ie AdQd Qd9d Ad10d which again give you more value and are still ahead ahead.
    really there seems to be much more benifit than risk by doing a Ch/R on the turn rather than the river and my guess is most days you are going to Ch/R a set or J10 on the turn.
  • edited August 2014

Is the player playing 30bb recreational? Assuming so, would you 3-bet isolate with 10's J's here?

Imo this line theoretically is pretty sound. This hand is going to be close to the bottom of your range assuming you play all your sets/J10s like this (I guess you fold 89s combos on the turn/raise 89dd?)

However I do wonder wether the average 50nl reg is capable of folding QQ+ for the price their getting on the river. I think a fair few might find a sigh call. You did mention in you op that you thought you could get a fold from these hands so might be ok.

Kinda feel this jam would be so much more effective if you were slightly deeper...

• edited August 2014
    He's getting over 3/1 on the call, as Chris says would prefer be deeper.. Depends a bit whether he can put you on sets/JT here

If he folds all one pair hands it's prob ok
  • edited August 2014
    Given it's a reg and a fairly solid one, and it's an UTG open, then a lot of the time JJ/TT are still in my range after flatting pre and would still be in my range by the river.

I wouldn't be raising sets here very often at all (on flop or turn)... I'm not really scared of backdoor flushes, and the only other draws are 89/KQ/Q9 and I doubt he even opens Q9 and 89 UTG so wouldn't be worried about being outdrawn (and know I won't get calls from them draws if I raise anyway)

Raising the turn imo would be pretty bad...

1) We're still ahead quite often so don't need to bluff.

2) When we are ahead raising just makes him snap fold literally every single hand we beat. Granted we may not be getting more value from this weaker part of his range on the river but there's still no point raising if we just get folds from all worse hands and jammed on by most stuff better.

3) When we raise, if he doesn't fold then he will be shipping everything else and V him that means my pair outs are no good and I won't have the right price to call for my FD so I'll have forced myself into folding my decent equity.

Yeah Chris I think maybe I could get sigh calls from QQ+ if he's a bit tilted/not playing his normal game some of the time but would work better if we were a tad deeper. Fwiw, it does come down to my image a bit, I have a pretty solid image and so when I check/shove this riv all hands like QQ+ and AJ turn into bluff catchers cos I'm never doing it for value with worse, and he will deffo think I'm vv rarely taking this line as a bluff.
  • edited August 2014
    Kinda depends how thin this villain value bets too. I mean if you're not calling with KJ then betting with QQ and even KK might be too thin. If he's not betting all his overpairs then you're really trying to get villain off a better hand than 1 pair - and given the odds he's getting it just isn't going to happen all that often. 
  • edited August 2014
    why turn it into a bluff if u think ya good i think your good here

when u raise u think an overpair could fold ?
  • edited August 2014
    I don't think I'm good, I'm good close to 0% of the time by the time he fires the 3rd barrel, that's why I can't call. The best possible value hand that I beat is QJ and he will NEVER fire 3 with QJ there, and he has next to no bluffs, so it's check/fold which is probably fine/maybe best, or this.

• edited August 2014
    looks like he has ak to me
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Turning TP into a Bluff:
    looks like he has ak to me
    Posted by bearlyther
    I put him on AK pre... Just shoved riv cos I didn't want him to see what I had