You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Inconsitent wins

edited March 2015 in Poker Chat
Hello!

Im new to skypoker (few months) and been playing poker on and off for a number of years. I seem to be very inconsitent in my wins. I have a few, then dont cash and overall i seem to either be stagnant with with bankroll. 

I think i play ok and soak up knowledge from watching sky poker tv and other programmes and books but i cant seem to improve.

Any thoughts?

Not sure what response i am expecting but just getting it out there

Cheers

Greg

Comments

• edited August 2014
    What games do you play? What stakes? Have you tried posting hands in the Poker Clinic to see if it can help you iron out leaks in your game?

If you're stagnant with bankroll, you're probably doing better than 50% of players!
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Inconsitent wins:
    Hello! Im new to skypoker (few months) and been playing poker on and off for a number of years. I seem to be very inconsitent in my wins. I have a few, then dont cash and overall i seem to either be stagnant with with bankroll.  I think i play ok and soak up knowledge from watching sky poker tv and other programmes and books but i cant seem to improve. Any thoughts? Not sure what response i am expecting but just getting it out there Cheers Greg
    Posted by djayskate
    Which ever form of poker you play, and no matter how good you are, you will never consistently win over small sample sizes.

If you are good enough, over time the wins will out weigh the losses and u will make a profit. 

To give u an idea of how large a sample size you would need even before u have a decent idea of whether u are a winning player, I don't think it is that uncommon for a big winning player to make a loss over a 500 game stretch. I know I have a few times.

As for getting better, it sounds like u are doing the right things, but poker is a complicated game, there are many many different aspects of the game to learn about, and as with anything worth learning it takes a lot of work to get properly good.

Apart from the things u have said, to get better, it is definitely worth while having a small group of people who's game u respect or are better than u to discuss hands with, watching top players play and getting lessons.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Inconsitent wins:
    What games do you play? What stakes? Have you tried posting hands in the Poker Clinic to see if it can help you iron out leaks in your game? If you're stagnant with bankroll, you're probably doing better than 50% of players!
    Posted by FCHD
    HI,

thanks. 

I play micro stakes cash games, and small buy in SNGs. I try MTTs with no real success at all. I sometimes think i am too passive and fold easy.

One thing i struggle with is the matths side of it with pot odd etc. CAn never seem to get my head round it
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Inconsitent wins : Which ever form of poker you play, and no matter how good you are, you will never consistently win over small sample sizes. If you are good enough, over time the wins will out weigh the losses and u will make a profit.  To give u an idea of how large a sample size you would need even before u have a decent idea of whether u are a winning player, I don't think it is that uncommon for a big winning player to make a loss over a 500 game stretch. I know I have a few times. As for getting better, it sounds like u are doing the right things, but poker is a complicated game, there are many many different aspects of the game to learn about, and as with anything worth learning it takes a lot of work to get properly good. Apart from the things u have said, to get better, it is definitely worth while having a small group of people who's game u respect or are better than u to discuss hands with, watching top players play and getting lessons.
    Posted by chicknMelt

I thnk i am too passive as well. Sometimes i make the right play, sometimes i do a play and then think....ah rubbish and get wiped out.

Arrrgghh

• edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Inconsitent wins : HI, thanks.  I play micro stakes cash games, and small buy in SNGs. I try MTTs with no real success at all. I sometimes think i am too passive and fold easy. One thing i struggle with is the matths side of it with pot odd etc. CAn never seem to get my head round it
    Posted by djayskate
    Howdy

I don't know if it will help, however.......

I've watched lots of poker dated and recent, I observe tables and my notable 1 live experience soon to be repeated and read books on various techniques etc. 

With all the knowledge and technique that I have learned, seen and tried only one way of playing has proven successful..... Don't try to calculate the pot odds! 
    Focus on what is your hand in comparison to that on the board, is it worth betting? For example, having a high pair but not the highest and a fellow player betting the min amount. It's a judgement call. Also, know your outs! Is quicker to see the outs you have rather then spending time doing mental arithmetic when the game needs your focus. 

Like I said at the start not sure how much help that is, I hope it helps a little :-)

Pudd x
  • edited August 2014
    Thanks Pudd.

Can be so rustrating at times. Seem 1 step forward 1.5 steps back sometimes

Regards
  • edited March 2015
    Hello all,

Well it has been about 6 months since my last posting. 

I have been palying online every night pretty much on Sky Poker and other sites. 

An update on my results in 2015 -

Played my first live tournament a few weeks back in the Grovsenor in Reading (15+5 buy in). I came 8th and this was my first cash (£90). Great experience and i am not afraif to admit that I was very nervous. A few on the table were great and helped me through the first few hours.

In the last week, i have cashed twice on MTT's on Sky Poker, and last night came first in the £2.00+30p £200 Bounty Hunter. 

Have had some words of encouragement from Richard Orford on Twitter!

Everyone has been a pleasure to play with and Sky Poker has been a much better experience than other, well known sites.

Hope everyone is ok. I feel that my inconsistent wins are becoming more bearable and infrequent. 

Anyway, thats enough of my ramblings for now.

Thanks to any one that reads this!

Greg aka djayskate
  • S7NS7N
    edited March 2015
    Glad to hear its improving, keep it up mate and gl.
  • edited March 2015
    Glad to hear its improving, keep it up mate and gl.
    Posted by S7N
    Thanks dude

Just busted 25th in £200 BH (£2.00+0.30) - But still up on bankroll so all good
  • S7NS7N
    edited March 2015
    Sounds like your in the right track, hope to see you in game ��
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Inconsitent wins:
    Hello! Im new to skypoker (few months) and been playing poker on and off for a number of years. I seem to be very inconsitent in my wins. I have a few, then dont cash and overall i seem to either be stagnant with with bankroll.  I think i play ok and soak up knowledge from watching sky poker tv and other programmes and books but i cant seem to improve. Any thoughts? Not sure what response i am expecting but just getting it out there Cheers Greg
    Posted by djayskate
    Hi DJ,

Nothing you can do about "inconsistency" in MTT's, it's the nature of the beast, & nobody is immune from it.  

If you want lower volatility, play DYM's (lowest possible variance) or cash games.

Personally, I think the lowest possible variance is in PLO8 DYM's. You get a lot of poker for your £ in those.
  • edited March 2015
    Hi and welcome :)

Im a solid winning player cash heads up and sngs. I dont really have time for mtts but play the rollers when i can.

I dont usually do this but I feel your pain.... I can give you some coaching over AIM if you wish?

I cant guarentee how much but happy to do half hour here and there when I can.